IGNORED

The voice of positivity

robinforlife2

Yes we aren't playing consistently very well. We seem to have lost that potent attacking edge (maybe because Wells is back on the bench!). We have a few injury problems.

But all this aside, despite most teams having a game in hand of us, one third of the way through the season, we are still 7pts off the top, and 4pts off the top 6.

This to me, shows just how wide open this league is. 

The positives are Timm Klose and Tomas Kalas back in the fold, can only sure up our defence. Matty James shouldn't be too far off either. Then hopefully Wells will be back starting on Tuesday night. Conway has stopped scoring and Semenyo has been more effective off the bench. With no goals from either in 2 games together, surely Nige will revert to Wells and Conway or Wells and Semenyo on Tuesday.

Yes at present it's hard to be confident, but the advantage of this season is anyone is beating anyone, no one is dropping away, no one is pulling away. Therefore, if this is just a blip of form, based on injuries and a few things needing ironing out, our position remains, that if you won 2 or 3 on the bounce, you would be back within contention. 

We have 3 tough games coming up. But we beat Preston last week, and yesterday lost to Millwall. If it was the other way round, I think the fans would have been more accepting.

West Brom picked up a good win yesterday and will be very tough to beat on Tuesday, but for all our average play lately, we are mathematically not in a worrying position. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

But you want the manager sacked......

ok

No I want him to start getting the best out of the players we have, CONSISTENTY!!!! and if he can't let someone else try.

I support Bristol City FC not Nigel Pearson FC !!!! I want what is best for our club, Nigel Pearson is just a temporary cog in the wheel, he wont be here forever. He has been here two and a half years and we are barely in a better position than when he came here. The fact is, we ARE not in an awful position, but we aren't playing that well. So the fact is NOW actually might be the right time to get someone new in, who could get more out of these players than Nige is. Before we are in the relegation zone and then it's too late.

Lets not forget everyone said Pearson worked wonders to keep Leicester up, they sacked him and they won the League. That's not to say he didn't achieve what he had to do, but he wouldn't have won them the league. He has to all accounts steadied the ship here, and stabled us through a time with no money, but the question could be, is he the right person, to take us forwards, and at present that answer is no. Just because he has done the hard work, doesn't give him a divine right to keep us at a stagnated level, I believe he has done the best he can for us, and we are not in an awful position, but I think a new manager with new ideas, no loyalty to this squad and someone who will drive them forward could make us better. With Pearson we have got to the level we are at, we are not going to get any better, the last 2 and a half years has shown that. 

Edited by robinforlife2
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

No I want him to start getting the best out of the players we have, CONSISTENTY!!!! and if he can't let someone else try.

I support Bristol City FC not Nigel Pearson FC !!!! I want what is best for our club, Nigel Pearson is just a temporary cog in the wheel, he wont be here forever. He has been here two and a half years and we are barely in a better position than when he came here. The fact is, we ARE not in an awful position, but we aren't playing that well. So the fact is NOW actually might be the right time to get someone new in, who could get more out of these players than Nige is. Before we are in the relegation zone and then it's too late.

Lets not forget everyone said Pearson worked wonders to keep Leicester up, they sacked him and they won the League. That's not to say he didn't achieve what he had to do, but he wouldn't have won them the league. He has to all accounts steadied the ship here, and stabled us through a time with no money, but the question could be, is he the right person, to take us forwards, and at present that answer is no. Just because he has done the hard work, doesn't give him a divine right to keep us at a stagnated level, I believe he has done the best he can for us, and we are not in an awful position, but I think a new manager with new ideas, no loyalty to this squad and someone who will drive them forward could make us better. With Pearson we have got to the level we are at, we are not going to get any better, the last 2 and a half years has shown that. 

It's NOT 2.5 years, he arrived February 2021.

Listen to a live recording of the FBC Podcast at 10.00 for our verdict: https://www.podbean.com/lsw/voj3TKjf6G?lsid=MoVV7iW5FLG 

• Like 2

Why not judge him when he has a bit more money to spend, a bit more freedom to operate @robinforlife2 (assuming of course we don't have FFP penalties next season which can restrict us further).

We are in such a hole I believe, that we have not been able to sign a PL loanee (unlikely we would loan from lower) or indeed one from overseas for 2 years.

2 years! Just let that sink in. That is unprecedented at this level I would say- we must be getting very heavily restricted...this is just one constraint that NP must work under. We are sort of stuck, although I do wonder if a back 4 maybe required for a while but feels like we are in a right mess financially- NP is keeping the ship afloat currently.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Why not judge him when he has a bit more money to spend, a bit more freedom to operate @robinforlife2 (assuming of course we don't have FFP penalties next season which can restrict us further).

We are in such a hole I believe, that we have not been able to sign a PL loanee (unlikely we would loan from lower) or indeed one from overseas for 2 years.

2 years! Just let that sink in. That is unprecedented at this level I would say- we must be getting very heavily restricted...this is just one constraint that NP must work under. We are sort of stuck, although I do wonder if a back 4 maybe required for a while but feels like we are in a right mess financially- NP is keeping the ship afloat currently.

If he can't get consistency out of the tools he already has and the many tools he has signed whether it be cheaper players or not, why would you trust him with a bucket load of cash either?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Yes we aren't playing consistently very well. We seem to have lost that potent attacking edge (maybe because Wells is back on the bench!). We have a few injury problems.

But all this aside, despite most teams having a game in hand of us, one third of the way through the season, we are still 7pts off the top, and 4pts off the top 6.

This to me, shows just how wide open this league is. 

The positives are Timm Klose and Tomas Kalas back in the fold, can only sure up our defence. Matty James shouldn't be too far off either. Then hopefully Wells will be back starting on Tuesday night. Conway has stopped scoring and Semenyo has been more effective off the bench. With no goals from either in 2 games together, surely Nige will revert to Wells and Conway or Wells and Semenyo on Tuesday.

Yes at present it's hard to be confident, but the advantage of this season is anyone is beating anyone, no one is dropping away, no one is pulling away. Therefore, if this is just a blip of form, based on injuries and a few things needing ironing out, our position remains, that if you won 2 or 3 on the bounce, you would be back within contention. 

We have 3 tough games coming up. But we beat Preston last week, and yesterday lost to Millwall. If it was the other way round, I think the fans would have been more accepting.

West Brom picked up a good win yesterday and will be very tough to beat on Tuesday, but for all our average play lately, we are mathematically not in a worrying position. 

So in this thread you recognise reasons for inconsistency, performance levels, but in your other thread you ignore them and tell us to dream.

I don’t get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robinforlife2 said:

If he can't get consistency out of the tools he already has and the many tools he has signed whether it be cheaper players or not, why would you trust him with a bucket load of cash either?

I can see this line of thinking but he inherited a side taking 1 shot on target a game, less possession, neither creative not able to absorb pressure.

Lost a hell of a lot of senior and middling players since May 2021. Granted some were injured since he arrived!

Hunt, Mariappa, Rowe, Paterson, Diedhiou all gone.

Baker with his recurring injury issues, had to retire.

Kalas has been injured for some significant periods.

Sessegnon and Mawson, a) Regular injuries and b) Both gone!

Williams had recurring injuries under Holden and Pearson.

Nagy despite splitting views on here was still a Hungary international with a decent performance level at the international level and some Serie A experience.

Sure I've missed some too, combine that with financial downsizing, having to blood more youth and a general air of transition and just what do you expect?

More cash, equals greater options for signing players that he wants. I think our current squad has various merits but lacks depth and has some glaring flaws too. He can bolster quality and quantity wirh a greater budget while building on our current good points. 

Plus despite the circs, we are generally much more creative at home especially. We have more of a threat and more possession, while some of the underlying defensive numbers have been better.

For balance, Birmingham and Millwall losses were very poor. 1st half v QPR was a step backwards too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Just one factual point...........he has been here for almost exactly 20 months.

Putting a positive slant on things right now is a big ask. Adding a voice of reason a bit easier.

As @Mr Popodopolous has laid out, the time Pearson has been in charge has been stuffed full of difficult challenges. From rebuilding backroom and medical staff to an unprecedented turn over of players while under massive financial constraints . 

You have to ask would anyone else have done better ? Possibly, but no guarantees . 
Could anyone turn us around now ? Most new men with a decent reputation would want money to spend and probably a raft of new players.

I think we are stuck with Nige for the time being , unless things go badly wrong. Yes we have seemed to go backwards in the last few games , but  many of the goals conceded have been from individual errors, Pearson can't be blamed for those . He has his hands tied with getting rid of the ones he's not sure about and getting new ones in. If they aren't doing what Pearson wants, why could we expect them to suddenly change for a new guy ? 
So as long as we don't implode, Nigel is here for the foreseeable .
I question his use of Wells, his subs, his discarding of Pring, his subs, how some players seem undroppable and his late use of subs. But he is basically working with one hand tied behind his back and until FFP is sorted it will be that way.  The same players and management were in charge when we were playing some lovely attacking football, it was just mistakes holding us back. Confidence has taken a hit, but the rest is the same. NP needs to get his partnerships back working, getting people firing again . Not easy, but what options do we have ?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

He has been here two and a half years and we are barely in a better position than when he came here.

This sort of comment is what I take issue with. I think it’s a bloody miracle to have stayed in this division following the car crash that was Ashton and LJ, and with having no money to spend. He has improved the culture, brought more youngsters through than anyone in recent times, and we have a decent team when everyone’s fit and firing.

This was always going to be a three-year project, as has always been said. The problem is we have no depth, which means we struggle for consistency. But in the bigger picture, we are going in the right direction IMO.

Edited by tin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

23 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

He has been here two and a half years and we are barely in a better position than when he came here.

Why lie? If you say something which you know not to be true or you ought reasonably know not to be true (and can be verified either way in about 20 seconds), it's just plain dishonesty.

If exaggerating by circa 50% is gonna be fine, why not round it up a bit and make it 5 years?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tin said:

This sort of comment is what I take issue with. I think it’s a bloody miracle to have stayed in this division following the car crash that was Ashton and LJ, and with having no money to spend. He has improved the culture, brought more youngsters through than anyone in recent times, and we have a decent team when everyone’s fit and firing.

This was always going to be a three-year project, as has always been said. The problem is we have no depth, which means we struggle for consistency. But in the bigger picture, we are going in the right direction IMO.

I’m amazed at how many don’t realise the squad / performances / results were on a downward trend when he arrived…and then that squad had to be made weaker over the first summer.  I’m surprised we didn’t have a huge “bottoming out” as a result, and that probably would’ve meant relegation last season.  For me, Nige utilised a small squad and kept us relatively competitive.  And he still wasn’t been able to recruit anyone of note bar Naismith in the summer.  You can’t expect monumental uplift when you are hugely constrained.  I expect inconsistency.

Nothing against Zak Vyner (just using him as an example), but a large % of posters on OTIB are very critical of him, think he’s “Lg1 at best” (hate that term), but then expect him to play like Baresi.

I could use other examples.  Nige is stuck with several players, and he can churn the squad because we have no money, and some are on contracts in excess of their current worth.  I think that is why Nige is saying they need to earn their new contract.  So all those players that OTIB think aren’t good enough, are playing quite a lot of minutes, but OTIB expects results, performances and consistency.  It doesn’t line-up does it.

Cake and eat it imho!

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m amazed at how many don’t realise the squad / performances / results were on a downward trend when he arrived…and then that squad had to be made weaker over the first summer.  I’m surprised we didn’t have a huge “bottoming out” as a result, and that probably would’ve meant relegation last season.  For me, Nige utilised a small squad and kept us relatively competitive.  And he still wasn’t been able to recruit anyone of note bar Naismith in the summer.  You can’t expect monumental uplift when you are hugely constrained.  I expect inconsistency.

Nothing against Zak Vyner (just using him as an example), but a large % of posters on OTIB are very critical of him, think he’s “Lg1 at best” (hate that term), but then expect him to play like Baresi.

I could use other examples.  Nige is stuck with several players, and he can churn the squad because we have no money, and some are on contracts in excess of their current worth.  I think that is why Nige is saying they need to earn their new contract.  So all those players that OTIB think aren’t good enough, are playing quite a lot of minutes, but OTIB expects results, performances and consistency.  It doesn’t line-up does it.

Cake and eat it imho!

I covered this on the podcast @Davefevs

When NP came in Feb 2020, it was clear that the summer of 2023, would be the opportunity to clear the decks; and effect real change within the playing squad. FFP, and the collapse of the transfer market/covid has affected us, potentially more than any other club in the division.

NP has had to bring in players from L1 & L2, as well as a load of OOCs, and old free agents. We are inconsistent, and prone to the odd error (or two), but in the main a better side than Feb 20; when we were in free fall.

For me, the last 3 seasons have all been about treading water, and staying the championship in advance of the 15 or so OOCs going. It would only be then that real change would be able to be made on the playing side.

I think in that respect, and bearing in mind the injuries, enforced retirements, the lack of finance at times for the required standard of loanees; as well as having to utilise youngsters; NP has not done too bad a job.

Yes, we are a frustrating side. But until we drop into the relegation zone, and show no ability/application to get out of it; I'm not unduly worried.

Following City is nothing if not a struggle for at least 75% of the time. Just enjoy the good times when they happen.

• Like 11
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Could turn it on its head a bit and contrary to the views of @robinforlife2 we have seen NP...

1) Starting to blood the youth.

2) Get more our of some players than his predecessors. Vyner returning yes necessity but has been quite food at times, DaSilva early season looked quite good, Wells has looked better albeit not so much of late and Weimann last year was a dream.

Maybe I'm being naive but I honestly think, whilst we're in a period of poor form - exacerbated by injuries - we're not going to be sucked into a serious relegation battle. We absolutely need more squad depth and consistency and we could struggle with a few longer-term injuries but the flip side is we could go into the second half of the season with Kalas, Wilson, James, Naismith and Benarous all fit and available plus the likes of Weimann and Dasilva in better form than they are now and we'd look like a very different team. 

I certainly don't think we're promotion candidates but I'd still expect the mid-table finish I expected all along.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Maybe I'm being naive but I honestly think, whilst we're in a period of poor form - exacerbated by injuries - we're not going to be sucked into a serious relegation battle. We absolutely need more squad depth and consistency and we could struggle with a few longer-term injuries but the flip side is we could go into the second half of the season with Kalas, Wilson, James, Naismith and Benarous all fit and available plus the likes of Weimann and Dasilva in better form than they are now and we'd look like a very different team. 

I certainly don't think we're promotion candidates but I'd still expect the mid-table finish I expected all along.

Agree.  James back tomorrow night.  Kalas back to, although we will have to see whether he gets a start almost immediately.  Only Naismith out now of the core.

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I covered this on the podcast @Davefevs

When NP came in Feb 2020, it was clear that the summer of 2023, would be the opportunity to clear the decks; and effect real change within the playing squad. FFP, and the collapse of the transfer market/covid has affected us, potentially more than any other club in the division.

NP has had to bring in players from L1 & L2, as well as a load of OOCs, and old free agents. We are inconsistent, and prone to the odd error (or two), but in the main a better side than Feb 20; when we were in free fall.

For me, the last 3 seasons have all been about treading water, and staying the championship in advance of the 15 or so OOCs going. It would only be then that real change would be able to be made on the playing side.

I think in that respect, and bearing in mind the injuries, enforced retirements, the lack of finance at times for the required standard of loanees; as well as having to utilise youngsters; NP has not done too bad a job.

Yes, we are a frustrating side. But until we drop into the relegation zone, and show no ability/application to get out of it; I'm not unduly worried.

Following City is nothing if not a struggle for at least 75% of the time. Just enjoy the good times when they happen.

You see, 

Thats ‘positivity’ -          realistic , sensible ‘positivity’ in the current circumstances ??

If the OP seriously thinks he’s positive whilst wanting Nigel Pearson ousted , and shaking the ingredients whilst hoping we somehow find a magic wand appointment , as any new appointment and regime , a calculated ‘punt’

Id suggest a change of NP , and his coaching staff at this time would far more likely see relegation than a magic wand that not only improves us on the pitch but on all the off field structure too

Good Luck with that !

Although I don’t agree with all he does , as an all round package I still think it’s absolutely the right man for the current job 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.  James back tomorrow night.  Kalas back to, although we will have to see whether he gets a start almost immediately.  Only Naismith out now of the core.

If James is back he goes straight back in.  Question is, does he play with Williams and shift Scott to RWB or replace Williams?  

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Or play them as a three and only play two up top, rather than two plus one.

A while ago I was wondering about Weimann and Semenyo as a pair because they both press, they can both pull wider or central out of possession and they had some very good G-A, A-G combinations last season!

However their form, output individually and collectively of late makes me think again on that but in a 3-5-2 type setup could it be worth considering?