IGNORED

Abuse after the game

Feral Williams

Witnessed something completely out of order yesterday straight after the game. Waiting for mates outside gents by the entrance to S13 I clocked some guy probably about 6ft, early-mid 60’s and big verbally tearing into a boy and girl no older than 6 or 7 the pair of them telling them how they’d ruined the game for him and calling them ******* retards repeatedly over and over. I clocked this and asked him wtf he’s doing at which point their dad came out of the toilets while I was berating the old guy so I told the dad what was going on by which point a crowd had gathered and the old guy started tearing into the dad too calling him and his kids the same thing and anybody else that gave it back by which time there were quite a few of us. At one point he went chin to chin with some guy then bolted off back to his mates still shouting abuse. 
I don’t care what the kids had done or how bad the game was but nothing warrants shouting the sort of abuse he was dishing out to kids. Proper nasty piece of work.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 4

44 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Maybe email the club. They might be able to publish a CCTV image of him.

39 minutes ago, Feral Williams said:

Good shout, I’ll do that tomorrow 

Thanks both. I emailed the club on Saturday night after I'd calmed down a tad! Hopefully will get a response.

Edited by RedEd73
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

@Feral Williamsthank you so much for stepping in. The kids involved were both 10, I had accompanied my 8 year old to the loo at the end of the match

Don't get me wrong my kids can be buggers but weren't on Saturday. The bloke in question was sat behind us in the first half and had been quite amiable until Millwall scored at which point he flipped. 

It was the end of the half and the kids were getting a bit restless and he got annoyed and asked them to stop distracting him. Fair enough. I apologized to him and thought it was dealt with.

About 5 or 10 minutes into the second half he moved to different seats, so we didn't interact with him again until the incident in the concourse.

We were actually guests of CHSW (my youngest is life limited) and occupying their season ticket spaces. I wondered if his use of the word ****** was intentional (it's not a word that is particularly common these days thank goodness).

I've reported to the club and CHSW because I don't want their guests to be potentially in the vicinity of someone so volatile.

Thanks again to all who stepped in to help the to protect the kids whilst I was in the loo with my youngest.

Jesus ******* Christ that's awful. Are the kids ok? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Jesus ******* Christ that's awful. Are the kids ok? 

Thanks Bas. They were quite shaken up at the time but are fairly "robust" thankfully. 

Not sure what got into the bloke. As I mentioned we had spoken before the match and during the first half and no hint of any animosity until right before half time. I'd venture that it was the millwall goal that set him off.

Interestingly he had been sitting with a lady who went to leave just as Millwall got the penalty. I had a chat with her as she left and it was all very friendly with no hint of what was to follow. 

Edited by RedEd73

1 minute ago, RedEd73 said:

Thanks Bas. They were quite shaken up at the time but are fairly "robust" thankfully. 

Not sure what got into the bloke. As I mentioned we had spoken before the match and during the first half and no hint of trouble.

Interestingly he had been sitting with a lady who went to leave just as Millwall got the penalty. I had a chat with her as she left and it was all very friendly with no hint of what was to follow. 

Even if he was pissed off at them you don't do that to kids especially when you're not there which he would have known, that's utter cowardice and the worst type of bullying. 

Hopefully he gets banned

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

@Feral Williamsthank you so much for stepping in. The kids involved were both 10, I had accompanied my 8 year old to the loo at the end of the match

Don't get me wrong my kids can be buggers but weren't on Saturday. The bloke in question was sat behind us in the first half and had been quite amiable until Millwall scored at which point he flipped. 

It was the end of the half and the kids were getting a bit restless and he got annoyed and asked them to stop distracting him. Fair enough. I apologized to him and thought it was dealt with.

About 5 or 10 minutes into the second half he moved to different seats, so we didn't interact with him again until the incident in the concourse.

We were actually guests of CHSW (my youngest is life limited) and occupying their season ticket spaces. I wondered if his use of the word ****** was intentional (it's not a word that is particularly common these days thank goodness).

I've reported to the club and CHSW because I don't want their guests to be potentially in the vicinity of someone so volatile.

Thanks again to all who stepped in to help the to protect the kids whilst I was in the loo with my youngest.

As you may know, we use CHSW so to hear this happened on a day where they’ve given you tickets is crap, hope the kids are ok and hope the knobhead who had a go at your kids is identified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What the **** is wrong with some people?

We all get disappointed but it’s a game, for goodness sake.

@RedEd73 your life is clearly tough enough reading this without having to deal with plankton like you had to on Saturday.

My lad has it tougher than me mate! He's life limited but doesn't present as such  and doesn't appear to have any serious medical conditions. But I couldn't help but wonder about his use of certain language. The seats I occupied are most likely to be occupied by families of life limited children, or people who care for them. 

I've given the club the seat numbers he was in during the first half. Hopefully they'll investigate 

Edited by RedEd73
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

That’s absolutely rotten to hear, all the best to you and yours. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

I had no idea re CHSW which only makes it all the worse, glad to hear your kids are ok considering mate.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

Wow, that is absolutely outrageous.

I read your initial post earlier this morning and remember thinking something along the lines that it was just an unfortunate incident with a fan, disgruntled at yet another disappointing performance, and didn’t really give it another thought.

Now I have read through more details, I really don’t know what to think.

I hope the individual concerned is traced and receives suitable punishment.

Finally, I hope this awful incident has no long term effects on your children.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes you read things in football that can be simultaneously depressing and uplifting.

I mean why, talk about striking terror into children for no reason. It's nothing short of a disgrace. What on earth was going through the man's head.

However, the fact enough people stood up and said , no this is not right. Just shows there are many decent people everywhere.

I hope the kids aren't put off going, nor you taking them. 

I really hope the club look into this matter further , much much further.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

Really sorry to hear this @RedEd73

I hope you and the kids are well. Lost for words as to how someone could behave in such a vile way. Well done to all that got involved and I hope this Neanderthal is identified by the club.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Feral Williams said:

I had no idea re CHSW which only makes it all the worse, glad to hear your kids are ok considering mate.

And for others who don’t know about the hospice and the great work it does:

https://www.chsw.org.uk

There’s a donate button too if anyone feel inclined to support them! ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

"Football is not a matter of life and death. It's more important than that."

The famous comment by Bill Shankly. I would guess that 99% understand that as a bit of fun.

Then there are the morons of this world like this person who just cannot see any further than their nose. And who actually believe that they are right and the rest of us are stupid idiots.

My best wishes and love to everyone concerned and especially the children.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

@RedEd73 we’ve got 3 season tickets in the South Stand. I know others around us who have season tickets too.

We rarely use all 3. In the past I’ve offered them up in return for a donation to CHSW.

If you and your kids ever fancy them then get in touch. You’d be welcome to use them. 

Alistair and Toby. 

Thank you so much.

In fact thank you to everyone who has replied with messages of support. You're all bloody wonderful. 

• Like 2

Can you keep us updated if/when you get a response @RedEd73? Pretty sure that something like this will be dealt with fairly quickly.

I get that people get annoyed when we play badly/lose/drop points, but to stand there in front of two children and have a go like that is totally uncalled for and just cowardly. I hope that the bloke woke up this morning, realised what he had done, and is absolutely disgusted with himself. 

I'd also suggest that if he's not banned, then anybody who recognises him next time points him out to the stewards and let's them know what happened yesterday.

Glad to hear the kids are fine, but that could quite easily have gone in a  completely different direction with 2 different kids. That could have scarred, and scared them to the point where they not only never want to go to the football again, but could also end up playing on their minds.

@JerrySLO, any chance of the club sorting some hospitality tickets/merchandise/something for the family? Hopefully the kids wont think that this is something that happens all the time and is "normal".

Edited by Taz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Taz said:

Can you keep us updated if/when you get a response @RedEd73? Pretty sure that something like this will be dealt with fairly quickly.

I get that people get annoyed when we play badly/lose/drop points, but to stand there in front of two children and have a go like that is totally uncalled for and just cowardly. I hope that the bloke woke up this morning, realised what he had done, and is absolutely disgusted with himself. 

I'd also suggest that if he's not banned, then anybody who recognises him next time points him out to the stewards and let's them know what happened yesterday.

Glad to hear the kids are fine, but that could quite easily have gone in a  completely different direction with 2 different kids. That could have scarred, and scared them to the point where they not only never want to go to the football again, but could also end up playing on their minds.

@JerrySLO, any chance of the club sorting some hospitality tickets/merchandise/something for the family? Hopefully the kids wont think that this is something that happens all the time and is "normal".

Thank you for your kind words but no hospitality needed. @JerrySLO this isn't the club's fault whatsoever and no kind of compensation is required.

The kids have been a few times and they've never had a bad experience. I don't think it will put them off. In fact my eldest son mentioned it this morning and said that the man who had a go at him just have an awful life if that's how he behaves! 

I've been going for 35 years and if some of the stuff I've watched during that time hasn't put me off, this bloke won't!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2