IGNORED

NP on Kalas...

spudski

.... quote 

He's an interesting individual. He enjoys being what he is and that's a bit odd but he's a really good guy who is a committed player. You don't have to question his commitment when he's on the pitch.

'he enjoys being what he is and that's a bit odd ' ??

what does that actually mean? 

what's so ' different' about Kalas?

Made me chuckle ?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, spudski said:

.... quote 

He's an interesting individual. He enjoys being what he is and that's a bit odd but he's a really good guy who is a committed player. You don't have to question his commitment when he's on the pitch.

Made me chuckle ?

Nowt so strange as folk.

Be boring if we were all the same I suppose. ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, spudski said:

.... quote 

Made me chuckle ?

Ha fun turn of phrase but from what I see and hear Kalas does come across as a bit of an unusual personality. His stints as a commentator on RobinsTV in particular have exposed his sense of humour as being drier than the driest Somerset natch you can ever find. I suspect he's got some pretty niche interests (no not that sort). 

Then on the pitch he's a a physical mad man who throws his body and head at all sorts of shots and kicks. 

He's a bit mad.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ha fun turn of phrase but from what I see and hear Kalas does come across as a bit of an unusual personality. His stints as a commentator on RobinsTV in particular have exposed his sense of humour as being drier than the driest Somerset natch you can ever find. I suspect he's got some pretty niche interests (no not that sort). 

Then on the pitch he's a a physical mad man who throws his body and head at all sorts of shots and kicks. 

He's a bit mad.

??? I've just realised I've misunderstood the quote. ?

I read it as NP saying Kalas enjoyed being what he is, and it was an odd thing to do..rather than Kalas was just an odd character ????

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

??? I've just realised I've misunderstood the quote. ?

I read it as NP saying Kalas enjoyed being what he is, and it was an odd thing to do..rather than Kalas was just an odd character ????

I also wondered if he meant it as you read. It is ambiguous. Suspect it's clearer if heard. One of those quotes where tone of voice and choice of emphasis makes all the difference. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

.... quote 

Made me chuckle ?

Yes, he’s odd.

Bents calls him one of his weirdo mates or freaks, I think.

• Haha 1

I think he is one of those rarities for footballers in that he has had a rounded education (I believe at least one parent is a teacher) and football wasn’t the be all and end all during his upbringing.

I have met him briefly and like many people for whom English isn’t their  first language he is very correct in his use of the language (god knows if he understands the local dialect or his Scottish colleagues).

I would imagine that he can hold his own in a discussion about subjects other than football and might seem an oddball compared to many British footballers.

Perhaps Nige recognises a bit of himself in Kalas.

23 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I think he is one of those rarities for footballers in that he has had a rounded education (I believe at least one parent is a teacher) and football wasn’t the be all and end all during his upbringing.

I have met him briefly and like many people for whom English isn’t their  first language he is very correct in his use of the language (god knows if he understands the local dialect or his Scottish colleagues).

I would imagine that he can hold his own in a discussion about subjects other than football and might seem an oddball compared to many British footballers.

Think you are spot on.

34 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

My belief is that non British/Irish professional footballers continue a normal, comprehensive, education until sixteen / seventeen years, in addition to their football training.

Many will have learnt two or three other languages in addition to their mother tongue in addition to a rounded learning of many other subjects which gives them wider views and interests outside of football.

A good example is Taylor Moore who grew up in northern France. He speaks fluent French, English, Spanish and some Portuguese.

55 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Pretty sure his dad was the sports teacher at the school that he attended in Olomouc (a beautiful town if you’ve been there).

I remember when he was interviewed about his eating habits & he said something like he puts cream cheese, bacon & roast potatoes together, you got the distinct impression that he enjoyed being “different”.

As well as being smarter than the average footballer NP also probably likes the way he plays, as he certainly puts everything he has out on the pitch, which definitely will resonate from his own playing days.

• Like 2

I'm fortunate to have a friend who works in football in quite a Senior Level albeit at another club, he was telling me he was down here a short while ago to watch an U23 game but also have a tour around the HPC.

Kalas was in there doing some Rehab work and as he was introduced Kalas stood up, basically squared up to him and before shaking his hand put his head in really close and just sniffed him... He then said 'very good' before shaking his hand, turning round to get back to what he was doing but not before pulling up his shorts so high it resembled a Mankini by all accounts. The member of staff with him was in tears of laughter but also said he got off lightly by all accounts...

Certainly sounds like a character and one I think we will miss around the football club next season on and off the pitch

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's a bit mad.

33 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

I'm fortunate to have a friend who works in football in quite a Senior Level albeit at another club, he was telling me he was down here a short while ago to watch an U23 game but also have a tour around the HPC.

Kalas was in there doing some Rehab work and as he was introduced Kalas stood up, basically squared up to him and before shaking his hand put his head in really close and just sniffed him... He then said 'very good' before shaking his hand, turning round to get back to what he was doing but not before pulling up his shorts so high it resembled a Mankini by all accounts. The member of staff with him was in tears of laughter but also said he got off lightly by all accounts...

.... well, maybe "that sort" @ExiledAjax?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

Probably his last season here unfortunately. 

Not sure on that…he is  settled in the area, enjoys it here…why would he not commit here again to see the job out..if a deal was right for club and player. Reduced terms but longer contract..not so much money about these days.