IGNORED

Sheffield United at home match thread

The Blades at home which is also on Sky. Can’t imagine too many of their fans will make the circa 360 mile round trip.

They had a strong start to the season and after a poor recent run currently occupy fourth place. They were away to WBA on Saturday and were two up inside 23 minutes and that’s how it finished. Their recent form is lost three, drawn two and won one = 5 points from 18. While we’ve lost three, won two and drawn one = 7 points from 18.

Their impressive start to this season saw Heckingbottom awarded the EFL Championship Manager of the Month award for August 2022 after picking up fourteen points from seven matches.

A 2013 study of posts on Twitter found that Blades fans had the most positive interactions with the official account of their club out of any in English football. Sheffield United were also found to have the most 'obsessed' fans in the 2006–07 Premier League, with supporters reportedly thinking about the team 110 times a day on average!

They have a number of celebrity supporters including:

Sean Bean, actor

Kell Brook, boxer

Richard Caborn, Labour Party politician

Joe Elliott, singer-songwriter and musician

Jessica Ennis-Hill, Olympic gold-medallist

Flea, singer and actor

Matt Fitzpatrick, golfer

Mick Foley, author, actor and former professional wrestler

Paul Goodison, Olympic gold-medallist

Paul Heaton, musician

Ding Junhui, professional snooker player

Mark Labbett, Chaser on TV quiz show The Chase

Michael Palin, writer and television presenter

Joe Root, England cricketer

Juan Sebastián Verón, former Argentina international footballer

Sheffield United FC, was the first English football club with “United” in its name.

Sheffield United were founded in 1889, 32 years after Sheffield Wednesday. The 1890s was the best decade for the club. They won Division One once (1897-98) and were twice runners-up. Ten years after their establishment, Sheffield United won their first FA Cup. Since when the club has won the Cup three more times (1902, 1915 and 1925).

They became a member of the Football League in 1892. They were elected to the second of the two tiers, but after finishing second they were elected into the top-tier for the next season. They would stay in the first division for many decades, until relegation in 1934.

Sheffield United were one of the teams to participate in the Premier League in the 1992-93 season. They managed just two seasons before being relegated.

They are managed by Paul Heckingbottom, who played as a defender for several English clubs, including Sunderland, Scarborough, Hartlepool United, Darlington, Norwich City, Bradford City, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley and Mansfield Town.

After retiring as a player, he trained as a coach and obtained a position with Barnsley's development squad and, after a successful spell as caretaker manager in which the club won promotion and the EFL Trophy, he was appointed manager in 2016. In February 2018 he moved to Leeds United, but he was sacked during the 2018 close-season after 16 games in charge. Heckingbottom then managed Scottish Premiership club Hibernian, but was sacked in November 2019. In March 2021, he was appointed interim manager of Sheffield United until the end of the season. After returning to the U23's, he was appointed manager on 25 November 2021, once again, on a four-a-and-half year deal following the sacking of Slaviša Jokanović.

In his first game in charge, the Blades beat us 2–0. The team ended last season in fifth place, subsequently qualifying for the promotion playoffs, though they lost to Nottingham Forest in the semi-finals.

We drew at the Gate:

Head to head they have won 31, lost 16 and there have been 12 draws.

Stephen Martin will have the whistle, Staffordshire born he is the son of former Premier League referee Andy, who officiated during the 1990s. He took charge of his first Championship game during the 2012/13 season. Martin will be assisted by Adam Crysell and Mark Stevens, the fourth official Is James Linington.

The towering Norwegian Sander Berge remains out with a knee injury, and is accompanied by Max Lowe and Jayden Bogle in a packed-out medical room. Rhys Norrington-Davies is injured and they will also be without Rhian Brewster who suffered another hamstring injury in the 2-0 win at West Brom. The striker had only been on the pitch 11 minutes after replacing John Fleck as a second half substitute when he pulled up holding the back of his leg. Anel Ahmedhodzic picked up his fifth booking on Saturday which rules him out and opening the door for Jack Robinson to step in, the defender has returned to the squad recently following a knee injury. George Baldock may also be sidelined due to injury. Wes Foderingham should return in goal for the Blades after serving his three-match suspension for a red card against Blackpool following their 3-3 draw. Their potential starting X1 is below.

Our starting line up will be very interesting, if everyone is fit NP may elect to go with the team that started against Swansea even if others are available following injury / illness.

So for the second time in a few days we are home to the team in fourth place, let’s hope we can put in another solid performance, COYR.

6C189149-2158-4A49-9959-6E4D2E8200C3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

My story about my first visit to Bramall Lane in 1958 when it was still a three sided for football and Yorkshire Cricket.

The season started with a 6-1 home win v. Rotherham followed by a midweek away win 7-4 at Barnsley.

So I managed to persuade Dad to fund a trip to Sheffield. Sat in a cafe across the road from the players entrance, having egg and chips with three other teenage City fans. When men who we recognised started coming in for tea and we soon realised it was the Sheff U team. We spent about forty minutes talking football with them.

Just before 2pm they all got up to go to change for the match. Alan Hodgkinson, the England goalkeeper who had been in the same side as Atyeo, told us to stay in the cafe. A couple of minutes later he returned with 4 complimentary stand tickets for us. England keeper and away fans! How different then.

The match was a 4-0 win for the Blades. City keeper Bob Anderson was carried off injured in first half, came back on after halftime but clearly struggling. Sheff U went up that season.

On the train home, we sat with the City players and Bert Tindill gave us each a bottle of beer from the two crates they had.

The previous season we'd won there 3-0 with a Big John hat trick but our next league win at Bramall Lane didn't arrive until Cotterill's promotion team.

So a memorable day out, the sort of day that will never ever be repeated. I still have a little soft spot for the Blades but not when they are playing City. So 4-0 to us would be most welcome tomorrow. Even 1-0 will do.

COYREDS.

PS. I still have the programme with all 22 players autographs and the ticket stub.

That is super impressive, very well done..........my one and only trip to Bramall Lane was a play off game in  '88.......when Carl Shutt scored for us in a 1-1 draw to put us through to the final 2-1 on agg....we then played David 'Pheckin' Kellys Walsall in the final.......i will say no more.?

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

My story about my first visit to Bramall Lane in 1958 when it was still a three sided for football and Yorkshire Cricket.

The season started with a 6-1 home win v. Rotherham followed by a midweek away win 7-4 at Barnsley.

So I managed to persuade Dad to fund a trip to Sheffield. Sat in a cafe across the road from the players entrance, having egg and chips with three other teenage City fans. When men who we recognised started coming in for tea and we soon realised it was the Sheff U team. We spent about forty minutes talking football with them.

Just before 2pm they all got up to go to change for the match. Alan Hodgkinson, the England goalkeeper who had been in the same side as Atyeo, told us to stay in the cafe. A couple of minutes later he returned with 4 complimentary stand tickets for us. England keeper and away fans! How different then.

The match was a 4-0 win for the Blades. City keeper Bob Anderson was carried off injured in first half, came back on after halftime but clearly struggling. Sheff U went up that season.

On the train home, we sat with the City players and Bert Tindill gave us each a bottle of beer from the two crates they had.

The previous season we'd won there 3-0 with a Big John hat trick but our next league win at Bramall Lane didn't arrive until Cotterill's promotion team.

So a memorable day out, the sort of day that will never ever be repeated. I still have a little soft spot for the Blades but not when they are playing City. So 4-0 to us would be most welcome tomorrow. Even 1-0 will do.

COYREDS.

PS. I still have the programme with all 22 players autographs and the ticket stub.

Thanks for that lovely match report; a resumé of what was obviously a most wonderful day for you and your father, especially as you still remember it more than sixty years later.

As you say, how different it must have been back then.

I must admit, I don't think I have ever heard of Bert Tindill, the generous barman, but, thanks to Google, I see he was actually from God's own Country and played for both Doncaster and Barnsley (and Frickley Colliery?). 

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
5 hours ago, maxjak said:

That is super impressive, very well done..........my one and only trip to Bramall Lane was a play off game in  '88.......when Carl Shutt scored for us in a 1-1 draw to put us through to the final 2-1 on agg....we then played David 'Pheckin' Kellys Walsall in the final.......i will say no more.?

I remember the Walsall fiasco very well.

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thanks for that lovely match report; a resumé of what was obviously a most wonderful day for you and your father, especially as you still remember it more than sixty years later.

As you say, how different it must have been back then.

I must admit, I don't think I have ever heard of Bert Tindill, the generous barman, but, thanks to Google, I see he was actually from God's own Country and played for both Doncaster and Barnsley (and Frickley Colliery?). 

My Dad wasn't there. I was allowed to go by train/buses on my own from about six/seven years to visit Nana in the Rhondda. And from nine or ten to Aunt and Uncle in North London.

Dad's philosophy was "He who travels alone, travels fastest". It meant that I was allowed to travel by train to go places not even heard of by the other kids in the same street. And it taught me how to have the confidence so to do.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

My Dad wasn't there. I was allowed to go by train/buses on my own from about six/seven years to visit Nana in the Rhondda. And from nine or ten to Aunt and Uncle in North London.

Dad's philosophy was "He who travels alone, travels fastest". It meant that I was allowed to travel by train to go places not even heard of by the other kids in the same street. And it taught me how to have the confidence so to do.

How the worlds changed and sadly not for the better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
12 hours ago, Pearsonistheman said:

How the worlds changed and sadly not for the better. 

Not necessarily for the better, bad people have always existed but we get to hear about it more these days. 
As kids playing alone in the park we were aware of ‘dirty old men’ and god help them if they tried anything untoward. Many a time we showered à bloke with stones or sticks if he stepped out of line. We were empowered by our independence not wrapped up in cotton wool like the youngsters of today. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, brad blit said:

If Klose is fit then id like to see him come in for Tanner and keep Pring left hand side of 3 - the physical presence of Ndaiye and McBurnie worries me against the 3 from Saturday.

Other than that i dont see many changes from Saturday, NP tends to keep same team after a good performance/result

Was just about the write very similar. Different challenge tonight. I must say I’m pessimistic and can see us being overrun.  Really hope I’m wrong!

It looks like they're on a bad run when you compare the last 6 games but when you look at the fact they lost to QPR when they were on a great run and drew with Norwich the lack of points kind of add up. Their start to the season was really strong too. I know it sounds bad but knowing they can sit back and make it hard to create chances doesn't favour us at all, we're much stronger with teams throwing numbers at us. I can see them sitting back today and using the counter against us with direct balls to Ndaiye and McBurnie, I think we could be in for a very tough game that doesn't favour us if they take that approach. 

Interesting article today, on how Sheff Utd get one of their staff to trawl social media for upcoming games.

Getting clues from opponants social media accounts and videos. Looking at players, wife's and relatives accounts.

Seems they've garnered information that was worthwhile. 

It suggests a position for a propaganda social media type person could be order of the day :laugh:. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/paul-heckingbottoms-clever-use-of-social-media-getting-results-at-sheffield-united-3898853

Edited by spudski
6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Interesting article today, on how Sheff Utd get one of their staff to trawl social media for upcoming games.

Getting clues from opponants social media accounts and videos. Looking at players, wife's and relatives accounts.

It suggests a position for a propaganda social media type person could be order of the day :laugh:. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/paul-heckingbottoms-clever-use-of-social-media-getting-results-at-sheffield-united-3898853

I just want to say that Conway and Wells are rubbish if you give them space. 
The Blades need to be careful of our pacey Swiss centreback and the goal menace of Jay Dasilva. 

( that should do it). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Robin 1
29 minutes ago, spudski said:

What on earth would he make of the forum? 

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, underhanded said:

Bit of a random Q for the matchday thread, but looks like I'm going to have to go straight from work to AG this eve, does anyone know if their are restrictions on bringing laptops in? I know sometimes they can eb funny about things like that

Pretty sure you’ll be fine. I’ve travelled back from London with a big bag as staying over, and brought it in no problem. Would have had a laptop in. 

• Thanks 1