IGNORED

Sheffield United at home match thread

19 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

Their goal was offside but the lines person does nothing.  

What actually do they do  ? 

So a guy I work with is a former professional league referee who has actually been a linesman for yesterdays ref on a few occasions. I showed him the two tackles.

He said the ref (whose name I've forgotten) does not want the linesman to give their opinion ('I think') on if it's offside or a foul, etc in the mics. He will make the decision himself. He said you can see this at the end during the scuffle after the Tanner red that the linesman closest to it didn't get involved or come close, because the ref would have instructed them to keep out of it. He said that ref is the definition of "making the match all about him" hence his big muscles and awful hand tattoo.

For the two tackles, while we didn't see a close up video of Tanners, he did not think it was a red, but can see why it was given and Norwoods was 100% a red but the ref has obviously missed it but again he has told the linesman to not get involved so even if the linesman had seen it, he wouldn't have acted.