IGNORED

Sheffield United at home match thread

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

That’s as pleasing a half as you’ll ever see (without being 4-0 up). 

Wells, Scott, James all completely at the top of their game. Everyone else very good too. 

More of the same in the second half please. 

A-

Now I don’t wanna jinx it, but hasn’t the ref been brilliant?

Fordy62 you may not have wanna jinxed it but think you just did ? a game of two halves as far as the ref was concerned IMO.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Why, what's he said?

I was surprised there was not much complaining about the goal because he looked a mile off to me.

But apart from being a bit lenient with their antics, I didn't think the ref was that bad tbh.

Definitely didn't play the full 8 added minutes though. Seemed a couple short due to the Tanner business, where he should have stopped his watch quicker.

No idea what he said, I was thinking ahead to the interview!

3 minutes ago, Midred said:

No idea what he said, I was thinking ahead to the interview!

Might have to change my opinion on the ref if what poeple are saying about this nasty foul on Williams. I'm in the Dolman, but it didn't look obvious from where I was. I just thought Williams wasn't going to win that ball, and I feared the worst.

Sickening and annoying if they have gotten away with a red when we have taken one.

Edited by AppyDAZE
4 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Thoroughly frustrating night. But can you see us winning a game like that? I can’t. And that’s why we are where we are - where I feared we would be going into the World Cup break. Just above the relegation zone. The alarm bell might not be ringing in the houses of many of Nige’s loyal army, but I can hear them in mine. Let’s hope I’m wrong and they’re right. 

If we hadn’t of created good chances then you might perhaps have a point, but if the team can play like that with some consistency then we’ll be fine. We’ve pretty much bossed that game and a bit more luck going our way would have seen us score 2 or 3 for sure. Our problem is that we can be capable of going toe to toe with the top of the table, then play complete dross at Birmingham and Reading

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

Might have to change my opinion on the ref if what poeple are saying about this nasty foul on Williams. I'm in the Dolman, but it didn't look obvious from where I was. I just thought Williams wasn't going to win that ball, and I feared the worst.

Sickening and annoying if they have gotten away with a red when we have taken one.

It was a shocker, yet tonight’s referee was looking right at it, he was perhaps closer to that than Tanner’s. You do wonder sometimes, he totally lost control in the 2nd half with odd decisions all over the place

• Like 2
1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

It was a shocker, yet tonight’s referee was looking right at it, he was perhaps closer to that than Tanner’s. You do wonder sometimes, he totally lost control in the 2nd half with odd decisions all over the place

A good point. I've changed my mind now. This reffing thing at AG is becoming a total joke.

And while we're at it,   LINESMAN ffs, stop jiggling about trying to stay warm and watch the ******* game. Either that or buy a ticket and pay like the rest of us.

The team gave it their all tonight. And has been said if we continue to play like that we should start winning. But we need some luck to come our way quickly and one of the strikers to hit red hot form. Looking at the table and most clubs below have games in hand and pretty soon we will be hovering around the relegation zone  Just have to mention Alex Scott, what a player and what a performance.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

No the sky replay showed they were  by side, if Wells had been in front of him and that challenge had come from behind rather then the side then you’d have a point.

The sky replay showed baldock clattering into wells and using him to stop his run in the direction of the touchline whilst wells had the ball under control. It was only once he had clattered him that they were then side by side. If wells isnt stood there he ends up about 2 yards past wells before he can pivot to the ball

It was a definite penalty, Wells was fouled.

5 minutes ago, kit said:

The sky replay showed baldock clattering into wells and using him to stop his run in the direction of the touchline whilst wells had the ball under control. It was only once he had clattered him that they were then side by side. If wells isnt stood there he ends up about 2 yards past wells before he can pivot to the ball

It was a definite penalty, Wells was fouled.

The general players reaction is a good sign, and nobody apart from Wells really appealed if I recall. I’d be annoyed if that would be given against us.

25 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Thoroughly frustrating night. But can you see us winning a game like that? I can’t. And that’s why we are where we are - where I feared we would be going into the World Cup break. Just above the relegation zone. The alarm bell might not be ringing in the houses of many of Nige’s loyal army, but I can hear them in mine. Let’s hope I’m wrong and they’re right. 

Well, I can see us winning it, because apart from a minute of inattention that led to their goal, we were pretty decent and play like that and we will win more than we lose.

HOWEVER, we aren't great at unparking parked buses and when teams decide to defend for 38 minutes and time waste, we've never been good at unpicking them. Perhaps because we don't really have any battering rams up front. 

Great performance just lacking that final nouse. Blades forum admits they got outplayed, cited Scott as the best man on the pitch and lucky that there was no VAR! Left infuriated after all the goings on in the 2nd half and if I was George tanner would probably have done the same by then. I think the world cup break will be a welcome one and chance to recoup the first choice backline. On to the next :)

Edited by wendyredredrobin

Disappointing result, they never really looked like scoring. Shame about the goal, looks like it shouldn’t have stood for a push in the back and offside.

I thought Alex Scott was brilliant tonight, they didn’t want to go near him or put a tackle in at times. Vyner was excellent again in the first half, hes really come into his own this season and looks assured in near enough every game at the moment. 

We rely heavily on Semenyo and Weimann being on form, if those two get back firing we’ll be just fine. I think the break coming up in a couple of weeks can only be a positive, recharge and go again in the new year ??

1 hour ago, Super said:

Annoying. Deserved better.

Your right we did, but how many more times do we have to endure a game we easily dominated but got nothing. I reckon the ratio is about ten games we don't get our just desserts to occasionally holding our hands up and saying ah well we got lucky there it's baffling the law of averages is definitely not our friend.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, downendcity said:

If the that was a foul against Semenyo towards the end, then it was a stonewall penalty for the challenge on Wells.

Semenyo had is arm across the defender and pushed him off the ball, which is just what the Sheff U defender did to Wells.

The only difference is that to penalise the challenge on Wells would have meant a penalty..................

I really think Refs are scared to give us a penalty now, after all the decision will be scrutinised to death. They will always be the one who gave us a pen after x amount of time, so will want any decision to be so clear cut its almost ridiculous.

Wing backs are not working, and our defensive issues as quite evident to see (that stat on Sky Sports last night was shocking) 

NP needs to move away from 352 and go for a variation of Liverpool 433 or 4312 so we can start controlling middle of the pitch with James, Scott and Williams. The full backs can still offer attacking width but having 3 in the middle means someone can shield back 4 and help bring out ball from defence, this formation will also give Naismith more passing options from the back

8 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

If we hadn’t of created good chances then you might perhaps have a point, but if the team can play like that with some consistency then we’ll be fine. We’ve pretty much bossed that game and a bit more luck going our way would have seen us score 2 or 3 for sure. Our problem is that we can be capable of going toe to toe with the top of the table, then play complete dross at Birmingham and Reading

Play well and lose. Play badly and lose. Be unlucky and lose. Make lots of defensive errors. That recipe often makes a relegation cake. Not that long ago that we stunk place out at Birmingham and Reading. 
We don’t look an obvious relegation team but who does in this league? 

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well, I can see us winning it, because apart from a minute of inattention that led to their goal, we were pretty decent and play like that and we will win more than we lose.

HOWEVER, we aren't great at unparking parked buses and when teams decide to defend for 38 minutes and time waste, we've never been good at unpicking them. Perhaps because we don't really have any battering rams up front. 

What I meant was that I couldn’t see us winning a game in the way Sheffield United won last night. Play poorly, nick a goal, dog it out. We’re too nervous and too soft defensively. I think you need to be able to do that in this league to be reasonably successful.
 (I didn’t make myself clear enough in my original post.)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just watched the highlights back on Bristol City YouTube.

No showing of the penalty appeal or the non red card, two fairly big omissions in nearly 10 mins??

Like you, I'd like to see the one on Wells for a possible pen and the nasty one on Williams again.

Just watched the one on Sky, no complaints with their goal.

The moment Vyner (not his fault) heads it backwards after being put off, the bloke is ONSIDE.

He wasn't interfering in any way with the mix up, a different player was, and he was onside too.

Shocking from Tanner. Can't be doing that sort of thing, very dangerous.

We move on.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Paul Heckingbottom's reaction

That's the worst win I've had here. I felt our experience really came to the fore.

I can really feel for Nigel, so I'm not going to be smug about it but you've got to win.

They were the better team in most departments but we defended our box.

Nice to see a Manager being so honest and fair in his post match comments. Good on you Mr Heckingbottom.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

The moment Vyner (not his fault) heads it backwards after being put off, the bloke is ONSIDE.

He wasn't interfering in any way with the mix up, a different player was, and he was onside too.

Sharp was (marginally) offside when the ball was played across. Looked pretty clear on the Sky freeze frame last night. And shouldn’t have been a difficult one for a professional linesman to spot.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, lager loud said:

Sharp was (marginally) offside when the ball was played across. Looked pretty clear on the Sky freeze frame last night. And shouldn’t have been a difficult one for a professional linesman to spot.

I'm unsure. Watched it a couple of times just now and I dunno...foul in the build-up claim I've seen elsewhere also seems sketchy.

Albeit, looked like Vyner was tugged in the picture by @The Constant Rabbit so maybe!!

We certainly don't get the rub of the green though, irrespective of some individual decisions.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous