IGNORED

Results will come.

Fordy62

15 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Never looked like scoring. And bringing on Semenyo and Martin made it even less likely. Forget how many cross's were quoted first half but it was a lot. All comfortably cleared. Another single defensive error , albeit offside and the game was over. 

I thought Semenyo was decent.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Keepers Ball said:

Not with Pearson in charge.

We had a good momentum going then he goes and changes it. Wells wasn't flagging.

No sooner did Chris Martin come on that was it. The whole game changed 

You’ll get no love for it on here but you are right. Every time he comes on I look at my mates and say shall we go because there will be no goals for us with him on the pitch. 

Wells was fine to go another 10 tonight. He was fine to go another 20 on the weekend. Yet Pearson feels the need to bring on a lump when down. Said it many times before he’s a dinosaur and it is baffling with his record people still make excuses for him. No one really has money outside the relegated prem sides but we hear it constantly in defence of NP.

Wells a 5m purchase. Kalas an 8m purchase. Scott Semenyo and Conway all big assets he has at his disposal. Brought in players like Atkinson, James, Sykes and Naismith. Then has good squad players like Bentley, Dasilva, Williams, Weimann and Massengo. Supported by younger lads like Tanner, Benarous, Wilson, Pring(inexperienced not young) and others like most other clubs. 

We played well again today just like the weekend. Problem is we do this all the time. 3-4 game stretch of good play followed by 6-8 stretch of poor play. We needed points these last 2 and we need points the next two. Now we are asking the lads to keep the performance up after all their efforts have netted them a point. And while you can’t directly place dropped points on the managers lap, his decisions over the last two have definitely killed hopes of late goals. Now a long trip to boro followed by a relegated prem side to get points and if we don’t a very good likelihood of seeing us sit bottom 3 for a month while the world cup goes ahead. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

You’ll get no love for it on here but you are right. Every time he comes on I look at my mates and say shall we go because there will be no goals for us with him on the pitch. 

Wells was fine to go another 10 tonight. He was fine to go another 20 on the weekend. Yet Pearson feels the need to bring on a lump when down. Said it many times before he’s a dinosaur and it is baffling with his record people still make excuses for him. No one really has money outside the relegated prem sides but we hear it constantly in defence of NP.

Wells a 5m purchase. Kalas an 8m purchase. Scott Semenyo and Conway all big assets he has at his disposal. Brought in players like Atkinson, James, Sykes and Naismith. Then has good squad players like Bentley, Dasilva, Williams, Weimann and Massengo. Supported by younger lads like Tanner, Benarous, Wilson, Pring(inexperienced not young) and others like most other clubs. 

We played well again today just like the weekend. Problem is we do this all the time. 3-4 game stretch of good play followed by 6-8 stretch of poor play. We needed points these last 2 and we need points the next two. Now we are asking the lads to keep the performance up after all their efforts have netted them a point. And while you can’t directly place dropped points on the managers lap, his decisions over the last two have definitely killed hopes of late goals. Now a long trip to boro followed by a relegated prem side to get points and if we don’t a very good likelihood of seeing us sit bottom 3 for a month while the world cup goes ahead. 

Yawn

I can’t be a***d to pick apart all your negativity but

(1) ‘Scott Semenyo and Conway all big assets he has at his disposal.’

Yes , that HE has given game time too and developed into assets 

(2)When were these times when we played poorly for 6-8 games in a row

Or I’ll give you a better chance , when was a single occasion ?

Edited by Sheltons Army

The main issue I’ve noticed is that we rarely attack centrally. We lack midfield runners, so the ball will go out wide to Jay or Sykes, they will do a little turn and put in a 50/50 cross.

It’s a real shame as we’re really good to watch on the whole. Just need to find that savvy end product 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

The main issue I’ve noticed is that we rarely attack centrally. We lack midfield runners, so the ball will go out wide to Jay or Sykes, they will do a little turn and put in a 50/50 cross.

It’s a real shame as we’re really good to watch on the whole. Just need to find that savvy end product 

I've seen us 5 times, 4 defeats and a 0-0 draw, 1 goal scored. Apart from a decent run and ball in where we hit the bar tonight, 50/50 crosses is about all I've seen in the final third. Decent effort, but it's not decent football in the final third. Results will not come if that's all we have about us. All the praised effort in the world doesn't hide the fact that a very poor Sheffield United have walked away with 3 points.

19 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yawn

I can’t be a***d to pick apart all your negativity but

(1) ‘Scott Semenyo and Conway all big assets he has at his disposal.’

Yes , that HE has given game time too and developed into assets 

(2)When were these times when we played poorly for 6-8 games in a row

Or I’ll give you a better chance , when was a single occasion ?

You don’t think we have poor 6-8 game stretches under NP with his 30% win rate? That in itself is 3 out of 10 leaving 7 games of dropped points. But guess we are amazing 70% of the time just unlucky.

Given game time to them makes me laugh. You’d question his ability even more if he didn’t play them. Sometimes good players just come through. All of them were well on their way before he got here with the exception of maybe conway. Even then he was developed enough for Pearson to bring him up. We’ll just give pearson all the credit and forget about all the youth coaches and tinnion yea? 

Can’t be assed and responded? love it have a good sleep thinking about it

17 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Yep.

Andi seems to become invisible for large parts of the game partly, I suspect, because he isn’t experienced as an ‘in the hole’ player. 

Another, I suspect, that Pearson plays because he’s an experienced footballer to help the young lads and, quite possibly, because of the lack of midfield player options. I’d play Scott in that position in an ideal world. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

You don’t think we have poor 6-8 game stretches under NP with his 30% win rate? That in itself is 3 out of 10 leaving 7 games of dropped points. But guess we are amazing 70% of the time just unlucky.

Given game time to them makes me laugh. You’d question his ability even more if he didn’t play them. Sometimes good players just come through. All of them were well on their way before he got here with the exception of maybe conway. Even then he was developed enough for Pearson to bring him up. We’ll just give pearson all the credit and forget about all the youth coaches and tinnion yea? 

Can’t be assed and responded? love it have a good sleep thinking about it

Keep pushing your agenda ..... it’s great for sleep

and let me know when you’ve highlighted these 6-8 games of poor displays

Good Luck 

* Let us know who your replacement is 

Maybe somebody from the MLS ? ?

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Keep pushing your agenda ..... it’s great for sleep

and let me know when you’ve highlighted these 6-8 games of poor displays

Good Luck 

* Let us know who your replacement is 

Maybe somebody from the MLS ? ?

An agenda. 30% win rate ffs 

Someone from the MLS would improve the side tbf. Not saying much but not hard to do better than 3 wins in 10

The effort is there...but how we go about winning games is questionable.

For all the nice football and commitment, if we continue wasting the final delivery of mainly poor crossing, then I don't think results will come. I really don't like this reliance on crossing. 

We have players with speed and skill centrally...and imo, aren't using them to their best ability. 

We are always going to concede soft goals....what makes anyone think we aren't with the defenders we have?

It's been like it too long imo for it to change otherwise.

We have the ability to score goals and create, and to extent control games...I just think we are going about it the wrong way to create something consistent. The way we play...reflects our results. 

We can't keep saying we are unlucky. You create your own luck by changing things if they aren't getting results.

What worries me more...is that we have individuals like Scott and Semenyo that will attract attention in January, and will be hard to keep. 

You have to replace them...and then those players take time to fit in.

I want NP to succeed. I feel he's the right man for us. 

However...for us to be not in a relegation battle, we need to change our reliance on crossing. 

It's a weak strategy. Easily defended and relies on a lot of luck.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Results will come…if we keep playing that like. Issue is, we don’t really. 2 wins from 11 is very concerning regardless of performances. The consistent horrific goals conceded is a real issue now and no longer a joke or blip. 

Not worried yet, but I do think there’s cause for concern now. Those are two huge chances for much needed home wins missed. 

This is a common theme though, and the only common denominator is the person that picks the team and decides on the tactics, yes we have been yet again unlucky with injuries in defence coming into the game, and decisions by the officials, but at some stage we all have to accept after more than 18 months we are all still saying the same thing time and again. I watched the game tonight and can't for the life of me understand how we lost would another manager make any difference Who knows but there are worse teams than us in the top six based on that performance Sheffield Utd amongst them. 

Edited by pillred
Opinion

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Bristol City 0 is the problem. We have lost our scoring touch. Our balls in are dreadful and dead balls we should just give them a goal effing kick. 

The three at the back did well except for being under the ball for the cross. 

I’ll settle later but we are the usual soft touch complaining about officials. News flash is they are pony every week, but if we can’t cross or score it’s bloody irrelevant!

Exactly as above

True i like pring and Tanner but our service from sykes and Dasilva is not good enough and we need to address this and quick .

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

We had 30 crosses tonight and played only 1 through ball.

In the last 3 games we've crossed 71 times and played 2 through balls. 

We've scored once in those three games. 

Statistics show in football show...

PROBABILITY OF SCORING A GOAL FROM A CROSS [1.6%].

This means that, on average, it takes 64 crosses to score a goal.

So on that basis, you are looking at 1 goal roughly every three games from a cross.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Results will come…if we keep playing that like. Issue is, we don’t really. 2 wins from 11 is very concerning regardless of performances. The consistent horrific goals conceded is a real issue now and no longer a joke or blip. 

Not worried yet, but I do think there’s cause for concern now. Those are two huge chances for much needed home wins missed. 

Last 10 games I believe we have picked up 8 points and over those games are bottom of the form table. We need to turn good performances into wins or come out with a point as a minimum.  That’s worrying from a points return and we need to stop the slide as good performances mean nowt if results don’t come. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

No two ways about it. We keep playing like that and we will win miles more than we lose. All over that game from the first minute and lady lucky (and the officials) were against us. 

We also shouldn’t forget that we’re without a whole back line that wouldn’t look out of place at the top end of the division.

There really is no need to panic here. We’re slowly turning into a really good team to watch, the results will come. Trust in Nige. 

54 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Agree with both of you. IMO it's clear that if we consistently play anywhere near our best, then we're comfortably good enough to be a midtable team this season. 

However, achieving that is dependent on a few things:

1. Us being relatively consistent in our performances (at least consistent enough to avoid the "no show" performances like vs Birmingham and Reading).

2. Simply cutting down on the soft goals we concede. How many deserved points have we lost to soft goals this season? Tonight is another example of that. We don't need to be great defensively, just a bit less bad. Continuing to concede soft goals will mean continuing to drop points which we "deserve".

3. Improving our luck. No idea how we do that, unfortunately. As things stand, it feels like we're one of the most unlucky teams in football. Things just don't go our way. When it comes to penalties, for example, we are incomprehensibly unlucky. (I do genuinely feel this is a relevant factor for us)

As good as some of our performances can be, we do need to start converting them into results (and points) sooner or later. I'm not too worried yet; I'm confident that there are a decent number of poorer teams than us - it's just about making sure the league table reflects that!

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Play like that, at home certainly and wins will come. At bare minimum we shouldn't have lost.

Just that baseline performance level compared with regular- not excessive, not ott just average, regular luck and wins should come certainly.

Should I agree, but on the whole, they are not, we look to be slipping inexorably down the table, after tonight's performance we are either the unluckiest team in the division or are doing something wrong for it to be going on so long. I thought we looked good for most of tonight's performance and I'm sure a lot of neutrals also wondered how we lost that game as well, but it happens far too often doesn't it.   

2 hours ago, reddoc said:

Never looked like scoring. And bringing on Semenyo and Martin made it even less likely. Forget how many cross's were quoted first half but it was a lot. All comfortably cleared. Another single defensive error , albeit offside and the game was over. 

We hit the woodwork twice and missed 2 sitters!

What game were you watching??

As for their goal - Vyner was grabbed by the shirt by Sharpe and pulled backwards - that's why he mis-headed it.

There is a screenshot on here somewhere

It wasn't a mistake - Vyner was fouled by an offside player and a goal resulted from the foul

The ref lost us the game - Not Vac Vyner

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

No two ways about it. We keep playing like that and we will win miles more than we lose. All over that game from the first minute and lady lucky (and the officials) were against us. 

We also shouldn’t forget that we’re without a whole back line that wouldn’t look out of place at the top end of the division.

There really is no need to panic here. We’re slowly turning into a really good team to watch, the results will come. Trust in Nige. 

I think this is the thing - we do have to keep playing like that!

We know we’ve got it in us, but we need to make sure when we’re not quite on it we don’t just because ultra passive like we’re really guilty of every 2-3 games. As Nigel says himself, we need to turn our losses into draws instead of either being brilliant or woeful.

No issue with losing games like last night in those circumstances - those aren’t our issue.

As you say, we’re getting there but the next step - becoming consistent and a bit more hardened - is probably the hardest.

It was arguably the one bit Lee Johnson never cracked in four years.

8 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Goals have dried up since Naismith injury. The other side of the World Cup and hopefully we’ll see our first choice back 3:

Naismith, Atkinson & Kalas. 

I think there's a lot more to it than that. For example Semenyo (who is Premier League quality when he's in the groove) has temporarily lost his golden touch.

8 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I thought Semenyo was decent.

I thought he was okay until the crucial moments which is the story of his recent form.

7 hours ago, Rob k said:

Well apart from hitting the bar, the post, Semenyo putting one just wide and another straight down the keepers throat when he should have scored i agree. 

The ones that hit the woodwork were pretty speculative efforts and Semenyo slipped when he took the shot. 

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

What a bizzare post . You really need to go and ask Nige why they do these things . There are reasons , based on data for sure  . But you seem to think the manager and the coaches cannot see what you think is obvious , and they try to disrupt all of the good work by making decisions , you , as an expert , would never make. .  Honestly , write to him so he can explain it to you . He might even invite you to talk to him and the coaches . It would help you a lot . 

And my post was bizarre?

Half the fans booed the decision. A decision that did not pay off and has not paid off this season. Dinosaur manager goes I need goal I put big body up front try to get goal. His time has well and truly gone. The sooner everyone sees it the sooner we can move forward as a club

• Like 1

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

And my post was bizarre?

Half the fans booed the decision. A decision that did not pay off and has not paid off this season. Dinosaur manager goes I need goal I put big body up front try to get goal. His time has well and truly gone. The sooner everyone sees it the sooner we can move forward as a club

What route would you take if you got rid of NP? He’s had to take 13m out the wage bill. 

The worry i have is far too many times we play quite well and end up with nothing. I thought we played well last night but again we waste so many good opportunities. 

2 good performances this week and only 1 point to show for it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rob k said:

He’s had to take 13m out the wage bill. 

Not knocking NP, still fully behind but am querying this a bit.

We lost £28m last season, which is several million higher than my estimates. This improvement includes revenue bouncing back up on and off pitch post Covid...has it fallen enormously this season then?

Accounts will reveal all for last year, but where is the £13m stat from?