IGNORED

Swearing

Redandproud

I had a situation at the Man City semi finale. I knew there where women and a child in the area I was sat. And made an effort with my normal fruity footy language. I was approached at half time by stewards saying there was a complaint against me for my language. Which I felt had been not been that bad. A Suited official then came down and I was threatened with expulsion and a season ban. Eventually we came to an understanding that I would not swear again and I was allowed back. Where me and my friend found two empty seats away, interesting in a sellout crowd, from our original seats and all was well. 

But my point is I take mt grandsons to football and I explain to them there will be swearing and grandad will swear. I appreciate there has to be a certain respect for women and children. But it's a football stadium passions run high. 

I really feel in today's crazy messed up country and world there are much bigger things than swearing to get wound up about 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Henry said:

Are disabled people more offended by swearing?

Not sure I'm really comfortable with this question as it seems pretty obvious to me. 

I'm not best qualified to answer this but there are obviously lots of different disabilities. It's not just wheelchair users that use these areas. They are disabled sections, not wheelchair sections. Remember not every disability is visible. 

There are some disabilities where someone swearing constantly could cause that person a lot of distress because it may come across as aggressive. 

1 hour ago, Henry said:

Are disabled people more offended by swearing?

Not sure I'm really comfortable with this question as it seems pretty obvious to me. 

I'm not best qualified to answer this but there are obviously lots of different disabilities. It's not just wheelchair users that use these areas. They are disabled sections, not wheelchair sections. Remember not every disability is visible. 

There are some disabilities where someone swearing constantly could cause that person a lot of distress because it may come across as aggressive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You’ve missed my point. People were saying that the poster should be more mindful of swearing as he’s in a disabled.

Ive taken several people with ‘non visable’ disabilities and have been told I should stop them swearing! 

5 minutes ago, Henry said:

You’ve missed my point. People were saying that the poster should be more mindful of swearing as he’s in a disabled.

Ive taken several people with ‘non visable’ disabilities and have been told I should stop them swearing! 

No I answered your point. But to clarify, as its a disabled section then people need to be more mindful of their language and behaviour imo because of the effect it may have on the vulnerable users of those areas. I'd suggest that is pretty common sense. 

Not sure what point you are trying to make on your last point? 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Henry said:

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. You've probably worded it wrongly.

15 hours ago, Red-Al said:

Woman and teenagers  girls also do there fair share of swearing so don't come that one

So that's a yes then. I'm not saying they don't but we are talking about you and your selfish behaviour that has been so poor someone has complained about you. Obviously no apology from you or a reflection on your behaviour in and amongst people that have been offended by your gutteral use if the English language.

13 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

So that's a yes then. I'm not saying they don't but we are talking about you and your selfish behaviour that has been so poor someone has complained about you. Obviously no apology from you or a reflection on your behaviour in and amongst people that have been offended by your gutteral use if the English language.

Look, you tell me who goes to a football ground that doesn't swear, I'd say at least 90%of the crowd swear at some time during the game,your talking rubbish,so you don't swear whilst inside the ground, yeh right to

5 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

Look, you tell me who goes to a football ground that doesn't swear, I'd say at least 90%of the crowd swear at some time during the game,your talking rubbish,so you don't swear whilst inside the ground, yeh right to

True, which makes me think the person who spoke to you has either spoken to about 30 other people around them too, or you were doing something a bit more OTT.

I'd be very surprised if anyone had an issue with the "That's a f*cking joke ref" type of stuff that 90% of people do a few times a game.

@Red-Al I'm struggling to understand what were you hoping to understand from starting this thread? It looks like you just wanted to saying this is the way you see it and that is that and try and win your opinion over on everyone else, as I have read this I get the feeling that you want to world to revolve around you and what you want to do and you don't seem to want to consider other people at all, I may have misunderstood.

Don't get me wrong I swear a lot football as much or maybe more than most but if someone asked me politely not to I would comply and then probably move somewhere else where my language wasn't deemed a problem rather than than writing about my opinion on a forum and then arguing with anyone that disagrees rather than trying to find an acceptable middle ground.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

When I took my daughters to AG the first time, I cautioned them that they'll hear adults swearing. En masse at times, several songs have fairly unnecessary c-words added to them. 

If I was uptight about this, I'd never have taken them, though I do try and moderate my language if a junior Robbo is with me. Mind you, they probably hear almost as bad when I'm driving ?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

When I took my daughters to AG the first time, I cautioned them that they'll hear adults swearing. En masse at times, several songs have fairly unnecessary c-words added to them. 

If I was uptight about this, I'd never have taken them, though I do try and moderate my language if a junior Robbo is with me. Mind you, they probably hear almost as bad when I'm driving ?

I suspect you are the type of bloke who if a steward approached you and asked you to tone it down because there’d been a complaint, you’d respect that…and tone it down.  I know I would.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I suspect you are the type of bloke who if a steward approached you and asked you to tone it down because there’d been a complaint, you’d respect that…and tone it down.  I know I would.

I'd be embarrassed as, er, fudge, if I swore to the extent that anyone reported me. So, yes, I would do. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Red-Al said:

So at least 90% of the crowd are going to be arrested, yeh right, 

90% of people that break the speed limit probably don't get caught. Doesn't make it right. 

Respectfully it appears that your language and behaviour has gone beyond what one would consider to be appropriate, hence why this person has made a complaint. 

Are you not ever so slightly embarrassed by the fact you've upset someone so much that they've gone to the effort to put a complaint in? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If the attitude of the OP throughout this thread is anything to go by, I think we can probably draw conclusions as to why someone may have been minded to put in a complaint about their behaviour, and also why they may not have wanted to approach them directly to ask them to tone it down.

Looks like the support he was looking for here isn't forthcoming

• Like 2

On the rare occasions I've taken the boy to a game I've told him he might hear some naughty words and he's not to repeat them, his reply is always 'I hear worse at school Dad!'.  I always watch my language when in certain company (a family enclosure etc. would be one of those places)  but its almost impossible where City are concerned isn't it?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Not me personally. 

It seems from your post that your swearing has been considered a bit excessive, especially when children are in ear shot. 

I love to have a good shout at the football, however if children are near by then I feel like I have a responsibility to tone it right down. 

Surely that's why they have a family section. If you don't sit there it's probably because of a lack of atmosphere. to have atmosphere you need noise and yes sometimes there is a bit of swaering. I guess nothing worse than the avearge kid hears in the playground each day.

• Hmmm 1

20 hours ago, Red-Al said:

What your affended by it as well, yeh, 

I'm more offended by your use of the English language, to be honest. You know when you're typing something and a red squiggly line appears under words.....?  Yeah...that....

19 hours ago, Shuffle said:

I never really swear apart from the occasional f word at football when emotions get the better of me. I believe it’s ok in the heat of a game and with your mates and even if it’s in front of kids and ladies at football. However, some people use swearing in every sentence so it’s as others have said showing some common decency and respect to others around if for arguments sake your swearing constantly for 90 mins.  Some of our songs include swearing with one including the C word about whose not singing over there!! People expect to hear it but imo it crosses a line if there are children are about if used constantly. 

Some of our songs have swearwords pointlessly shoehorned into them regardless of whether or not it scans.  Case in point being HNM.  "His hair is massive" scans...."His hair is f*****g massive" doesn't!

17 hours ago, Antman said:

i took my friends kid, a young lad called Gerald Bostock. he just kept using the G**r word.

I've been wracking my brains trying to work out what the G**r word is?!?

• Hmmm 1

I take my kids to football, knowing they would hear bad language. Pretty naive, if anyone expects to take their child to football and not hear bad language.

The key is how you parent your child. I’ve taken my kids to football for 12 years now and not once have they repeated the language that they hear. And they do not swear at all. Well, not in the presence of an adult.

I don’t agree with letting your child live in a bubble. Children need to live in the real world. One day, you won’t be there. My kids are won’t be shocked when they go into the real world, without mummy or daddy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Surely that's why they have a family section. If you don't sit there it's probably because of a lack of atmosphere. to have atmosphere you need noise and yes sometimes there is a bit of swaering. I guess nothing worse than the avearge kid hears in the playground each day.

There is a huge difference between a kid saying it in a playground to a grown up man swearing excessively. 

Put yourself in the child's shoes. Maybe even a child that's had some negative life experiences. And your sat near a grown up man shouting swear words for the entire game, beyond what one may be considered to be normal at a football game. 

Do you not think the child may consider that to be quite aggressive? And rather scary? Especially in an area where vulnerable people are present? 

Thats pretty lazy to say people should just go to the family section. They have just as much right to sit wherever they like as you do. 

Everyone accepts there are swear words at football. But there is a line and it seems this person has crossed that line and caused upset, hence the complaint. 

• Like 2