IGNORED

Swearing

Redandproud

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

On the rare occasions I've taken the boy to a game I've told him he might hear some naughty words and he's not to repeat them, his reply is always 'I hear worse at school Dad!'.  I always watch my language when in certain company (a family enclosure etc. would be one of those places)  but its almost impossible where City are concerned isn't it?!

The OP has tried to frame this as he's been told off for swearing at football and we all do it but he's been singled out for it.

The reality is for someone to have made a complaint, this must go far beyond what is considered to be normal swearing at a football stadium. 

This is the point a lot of people are making. 

If this person was doing this in S82, probably not even an issue. 

However they are doing it in the disabled section which is one of those places where you'd watch your language like you would in the family enclosure. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The reality is for someone to have made a complaint, this must go far beyond what is considered to be normal swearing at a football stadium. 

Exactly this.
The OP has been put on the naughty step and he’s still so angry he has to try and find like minded people on here. 

We all let a few swear words out at football but this must have been excessive and - this is the real issue, I’m guessing IF the OP was spoken to directly by the person who complained he would have been right in their face with even more bad language.
Were that to happen where would the disabled person go to get away from this selfish uncaring plonker?

People who aren’t disabled can move seats reasonably easy but the people in that section have to put up with it and in the end will probably stop going to matches because of it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I know Downsy was asking fans to suggest music to play before games, but I might hold fire on sending him this suggestion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_*******_Cunts_Treat_Us_Like_Pricks

????  As if that's the word that gets starred out!!!!

As others have said a lot is said down the ground and it hasn't been picked up by people, meaning that what the OP was saying must have been considered excessive.  Judging by his huffy puffy response to people disagreeing with him on this thread, I can only conclude that he's a bit of a pillock and the stewards were right to have a word. 

• Like 3

It's a bit of a difficult subject really.

I have worked in Construction for the past 40 odd years so swearing is part and parcel of everyday life when on site.  My Wife is Irish so swearing is a part of everyday life from when she wakes up!!  In saying that we have both held very high-powered positions which means that bad language is not appropriate in meetings etc so it is inbuilt within us not to do so.

Let's move onto football which can be very emotive for many after a hard week's work and is their way of letting off steam. Add to that the possibility of a few bevvies prior to the game and then you have it. It is what it is.

Certainly, you will never stamp out swearing in football and anyone who thinks you can is completely off with the fairies.

I find little or no need to go off on an expletive laden rant at the football as it achieves a big fat zero.  The players need encouragement and not abuse. If there are kids in the vicinity, then to me it is out of order to go OTT anyway.

Family enclosures are excellent, but the kids can still hear the songs & chants so we really achieve nothing. 

As I say it's a difficult subject but one that can have damage limitation if we all just take in our surroundings and respect others.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OddBallJim said:

There is a guy who sits in front of me who swears a lot. I mean A LOT. Particularly at Keith Stroud (possibly he is justified in that situation).

It doesn’t bother me at all, but whenever I bring my mrs to the game she gets really fed up of it. 

Different people react to things differently I guess ??

It's what football brings out in people rightly or wrongly.

1 minute ago, OddBallJim said:

There is a guy who sits in front of me who swears a lot. I mean A LOT. Particularly at Keith Stroud (possibly he is justified in that situation).

It doesn’t bother me at all, but whenever I bring my mrs to the game she gets really fed up of it. 

This is the point. When it's the crowd chanting swear words, it's not an issue that can be resolved. However, when it's a single individual doing it alone constantly. then it really needs to be toned down.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I'm guessing you're behind the home dugout.  Naughty Nige. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

I'm more offended by your use of the English language, to be honest. You know when you're typing something and a red squiggly line appears under words.....?  Yeah...that....

Some of our songs have swearwords pointlessly shoehorned into them regardless of whether or not it scans.  Case in point being HNM.  "His hair is massive" scans...."His hair is f*****g massive" doesn't!

I've been wracking my brains trying to work out what the G**r word is?!?

I'm thinking, rather than a swear word, it contains the middle letters of "inge"??! But that's my best guess!

Was sitting with my 90-year-old Dad in the Williams when a chorus to the effect of "the referee's a manual manipulator" broke out. I was a little apprehensive, since Dad was something of a purist when it came to proper language. He leaned over and said "Yes - he is, isn't he."

Edited by Final 3 Star
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Final 3 Star said:

Was sitting with my 90-year-old Dad in the Williams when a chorus to the effect of "the referee's a manual manipulator" broke out. I was a little apprehensive, since Dad was something of a purist when it came to proper language. He leaned over and said "Yes - he is, isn't he."

My first exposure to football swearing was from my dad….home v Liverpool….in the open end with the Liverpool fans, my dad shouts “Mabbutt, you effing fairy”.  Cue applause for the Liverpool fans!

Went home and told my mum ???

A few seasons back I took him to MK Dons (a) and I’m sure he called one of their players a “pussy”!  He denies it, but Joe reckons he did too.

So that’s where I get it from (in the right time and place)!

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My first exposure to football swearing was from my dad….home v Liverpool….in the open end with the Liverpool fans, my dad shouts “Mabbutt, you effing fairy”.  Cue applause for the Liverpool fans!

Went home and told my mum ???

A few seasons back I took him to MK Dons (a) and I’m sure he called one of their players a “pussy”!  He denies it, but Joe reckons he did too.

So that’s where I get it from (in the right time and place)!

My usual swears at Ashton Gate is a muttered "Oh FFS". Said about once every 3 minutes in an average game. 

• Like 1

On 02/11/2022 at 14:17, Red-Al said:

When entering the ground last night,I was confronted by a steward in A8 section (disabled), I was asked my name which I gave, she said they've had a complaint about swearing ,the person who complained was a old man with a little girl,  I was told to calm done on my swearing, which I replied,well if they're affended  by verbal language at a football ground don't take the kids to football, or go into the family stand, I phone Supporters services this morning, they totally agreed with me, 

For me it’s all about context, swearing in the appropriate context is fine by me.

What we’re you saying? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeez said:

In the spirit of this thread.

Can I ask the stewards to have a word with the fella behind me who has the words loudest clap, I swear Norris Mcwhirter will pop up with a certificate.

My ears are fukced.

What the hell is he finding to applaud?

• Haha 3

My view on the swearing is simple. The family stand is there entirely for the purpose of young families being able to attend the football without hearing bad language or excessive abuse, hand gestures etc, hence why if you are an adult you need to be accompanied by someone of the age 19 or below to sit there. Whenever my old man took me to the football when I was younger, we always used to sit in the old Atyeo family area at least until I reached shy of double figures and he deemed myself mature enough to hear the language. At the end of the day, its football, its happened for years and no doubt will continue for years in the same manner. People swear, it happens. I understand that excessive unnecessary swearing when younger fans are within your proximity can be deemed frustrating and annoying, but unfortunately not much can be done about it as it’s the norm at a british football game. Sitting in the family area is your best bet if your bringing young kids and feel nervous about the language.

Edited by OliOTIB

9 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

People swear, it happens. I understand that excessive unnecessary swearing when younger fans are within your proximity can be deemed frustrating and annoying, but unfortunately not much can be done about it as it’s the norm at a british football game.

Wrong. Something can be done and that's why the OP isn't happy

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

My view on the swearing is simple. The family stand is there entirely for the purpose of young families being able to attend the football without hearing bad language or excessive abuse, hand gestures etc, hence why if you are an adult you need to be accompanied by someone of the age 19 or below to sit there. Whenever my old man took me to the football when I was younger, we always used to sit in the old Atyeo family area at least until I reached shy of double figures and he deemed myself mature enough to hear the language. At the end of the day, its football, its happened for years and no doubt will continue for years in the same manner. People swear, it happens. I understand that excessive unnecessary swearing when younger fans are within your proximity can be deemed frustrating and annoying, but unfortunately not much can be done about it as it’s the norm at a british football game. Sitting in the family area is your best bet if your bringing young kids and feel nervous about the language.

I hate this argument about the family area. It's a lazy argument to make. 

Why should a child have to sit up in the gods in the family area? Just because some grown up man can't restrain himself in front of a child? Do they have a disabled section up there? Cos this happened in the disabled section. Maybe this child has vision problems so therefore can't go to the family section. Who knows. 

This has obviously gone beyond what could be considered normal, hence the complaint. Yes something can be done about this behaviour, hence the warning being issued. 

No the best bet is for fans to learn to control themselves when in the presence of children, just like I hope they do in every day life. 

Ashton Gate should be a friendly welcoming place in every part of the ground for all ages, especially our you g reds, they are our future. If we lose them young, we won't get them back. Without them our club doesn't have a future. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I hate this argument about the family area. It's a lazy argument to make. 

Why should a child have to sit up in the gods in the family area? Just because some grown up man can't restrain himself in front of a child? Do they have a disabled section up there? Cos this happened in the disabled section. Maybe this child has vision problems so therefore can't go to the family section. Who knows. 

This has obviously gone beyond what could be considered normal, hence the complaint. Yes something can be done about this behaviour, hence the warning being issued. 

No the best bet is for fans to learn to control themselves when in the presence of children, just like I hope they do in every day life. 

Ashton Gate should be a friendly welcoming place in every part of the ground for all ages, especially our you g reds, they are our future. If we lose them young, we won't get them back. Without them our club doesn't have a future. 

Agree.

plus, how do we know it’s a child (disabled or not) that was offended and reported it to the steward?  Some adults don’t like swearing at all, a lot of people hate the c-bomb for example.

A complaint suggests the OP was OTT.

I do believe that the OP has overstepped the mark with their actions here.

I would ask as a general observation, would it have been such a big issue 20 years ago, late 1990s etc? That said yes the OP seems to have gone beyond and things were again different in society even 10 years back, let alone 20-25.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous