IGNORED

Swearing

Redandproud

Whenever I’ve taken kids to football, I’ve told them they are likely to hear swearing, and they can use those words at football, but use them elsewhere and then they can’t come to football again. 

I managed to convince my nephew when I took him, that they were singing “Joey Barton’s mother is a horse” :D 

However, I am always conscious when there are kids around me, and try not to swear too much/often. I think if you’ve been politely asked to tone it down then you should respect that. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I never really swear apart from the occasional f word at football when emotions get the better of me. I believe it’s ok in the heat of a game and with your mates and even if it’s in front of kids and ladies at football. However, some people use swearing in every sentence so it’s as others have said showing some common decency and respect to others around if for arguments sake your swearing constantly for 90 mins.  Some of our songs include swearing with one including the C word about whose not singing over there!! People expect to hear it but imo it crosses a line if there are children are about if used constantly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my experience the club has an ongoing problem of swearing - especially many of our away fans I have had the unfortunate pleasure of ending up sitting/standing near at away games.

There is swearing and there is swearing - some words are often spoken and generally accepted as “ok” swear words, whereas others ‘the C word’ for example are absolutely not ok!

When I was growing up I can remember being told that someone who swears only uses those words as they don’t have the correct vocabulary to use more appropriate words which don’t risk offending others.

The club encourages families and children to attend and they should be allowed to sit, or stand where they choose and expect not to be hounded or exposed to unnecessary foul language.

Use the clubs “hotline” and continue to complain where necessary.

My final comment to those who choose to swear, especially in a more horrible way, is to ask yourselves “would you use your chosen words in front of your own children or parents?  As I bet the majority wouldn’t!

• Haha 1

Tricky isn’t it.  I’m early 40s and remember the days when this wouldn’t even be up for discussion and in my humble opinion, rightly so.  But times are changing.  All I can say on it is that I had this very discussion with my brother on Monday night,  who doesn’t support City but who wants to start taking my young nephew on occasion. I let him know how it was around us in the SS and that there is a fair amount of swearing and so we both agreed that for him and my nephew the family stand would be the right choice.  That’s what it’s there for isn’t it? If it’s not then what is it there for as it’s definitely not for the view. Poor kids are bloody miles away!    

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Whenever I’ve taken kids to football, I’ve told them they are likely to hear swearing, and they can use those words at football, but use them elsewhere and then they can’t come to football again. 

I managed to convince my nephew when I took him, that they were singing “Joey Barton’s mother is a horse” :D 

However, I am always conscious when there are kids around me, and try not to swear too much/often. I think if you’ve been politely asked to tone it down then you should respect that. 

"horse" ?

• Haha 1

I must admit I do swear at times, those time’s nearly always being at the officials but certainly not constantly despite some testing times recently.

Although like most I’m not bothered by others swearing, if someone is doing it numerous times throughout a game, every game, it can get a bit tiresome.

I think I’d be mortified if someone complained about me and would certainly try and cut it down. 

I think these days it's expected that you're going to hear it alot at football and it doesn't bother me.

However, I think if someone's gone out of their way to make a complaint and the 'club' had approached me to ask me to tone it down, I think that would be enough to make me question how often i swore/the words I was using might be impacting those around me - especially kids. 

Not sure my thought would be to push back with a view that I'd been the one put out by the complaint.

Edited by Loco Rojo

3 hours ago, Red-Al said:

When entering the ground last night,I was confronted by a steward in A8 section (disabled), I was asked my name which I gave, she said they've had a complaint about swearing ,the person who complained was a old man with a little girl,  I was told to calm done on my swearing, which I replied,well if they're affended  by verbal language at a football ground don't take the kids to football, or go into the family stand, I phone Supporters services this morning, they totally agreed with me, 

It would all depend on what swearing you've been doing. Are you joining in with "the referee's a w*nker" or are you shouting and swearing on your own.

From your initial post and subsequent attitude to @W-S-M Seagull, I will presume its the second one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red-Al said:

When entering the ground last night,I was confronted by a steward in A8 section (disabled), I was asked my name which I gave, she said they've had a complaint about swearing ,the person who complained was a old man with a little girl,  I was told to calm done on my swearing, which I replied,well if they're affended  by verbal language at a football ground don't take the kids to football, or go into the family stand, I phone Supporters services this morning, they totally agreed with me, 

I’m not sure what is worse, your attitude to it, your reply to the steward or the fact you then rang to complain to supporter services. Classless. 

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Tricky isn’t it.  I’m early 40s and remember the days when this wouldn’t even be up for discussion and in my humble opinion, rightly so.  But times are changing.  All I can say on it is that I had this very discussion with my brother on Monday night,  who doesn’t support City but who wants to start taking my young nephew on occasion. I let him know how it was around us in the SS and that there is a fair amount of swearing and so we both agreed that for him and my nephew the family stand would be the right choice.  That’s what it’s there for isn’t it? If it’s not then what is it there for as it’s definitely not for the view. Poor kids are bloody miles away!    

Nah I don't think that's what it is there for at all. 

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Football used to be somewhere where you could go and let off steam after all the frustrations of real life. Whilst I have some sympathy with the old man, it is bloody hard not to swear when you support the City. 

Bollox Your Maj

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Nay, nay she isn't