IGNORED

Swearing

Redandproud

When entering the ground last night,I was confronted by a steward in A8 section (disabled), I was asked my name which I gave, she said they've had a complaint about swearing ,the person who complained was a old man with a little girl,  I was told to calm done on my swearing, which I replied,well if they're affended  by verbal language at a football ground don't take the kids to football, or go into the family stand, I phone Supporters services this morning, they totally agreed with me, 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

What your affended by it as well, yeh,

19 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Technically swearing in public is a public order offence. 

Not sure I like your comments about don't take kids to football. 

Does that apply to footballers on the pitch (swearing in public)?

if so, the stewards, more so the police should approach them first. No one is above law when it is applied correctly and fairly.

• Flames 2

3 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

What your affended by it as well, yeh, 

Not me personally. 

It seems from your post that your swearing has been considered a bit excessive, especially when children are in ear shot. 

I love to have a good shout at the football, however if children are near by then I feel like I have a responsibility to tone it right down. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bannerman said:

Does that apply to footballers on the pitch (swearing in public)?

if so, the stewards, more so the police should approach them first. No one is above law when it is applied correctly and fairly.

I don't like whataboutery. 

In this instance this guy has been accused of swearing excessively in close of a child in the disabled section. 

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Not me personally. 

It seems from your post that your swearing has been considered a bit excessive, especially when children are in ear shot. 

I love to have a good shout at the football, however if children are near by then I feel like I have a responsibility to tone it right down. 

Likewise.

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Not me personally. 

Try telling that to section 82, sing section, plus 17,000 other  fans, I stand by my statement, dont take the kids to football if you don't like it,

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, Red-Al said:

Try telling that to section 82, sing section, plus 17,000 other  fans, I stand by my statement, dont take the kids to football if you don't like it,

Why should they not come? 

3 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

A football stadium isn't a public place though, you're on private property.

That's irrelevant. It's still technically considered a public order offence I believe. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why should they not come? 

That's irrelevant. It's still technically considered a public order offence I believe. 

Technically you might be correct but I doubt there have been many instances where a football fan has been charged with a public order offence solely for swearing in the stadium.

• Like 1

Just now, OneTeamInBristol said:

Technically you might be correct but I doubt there have been many instances where a football fan has been charged with a public order offence solely for swearing in the stadium.

The point I'm making is this person is basically saying "well if they don't like me technically doing something illegal, then they shouldn't come" and I don't like that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

So,you'd be affended if someone near you were swearing, 

I might be depending on who I take / is nearby.

Just seems like a bit of lack on decency / selfishness on your part that you want to eff and jeff without taking into account the people around you.

• Like 12
  • Hmmm 1

19 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

It doesn't bother me personally and i do swear at times (usually in the heat of the moment) but if i had children by me i would try not to.

Not sure the don't take kids then is a great attitude to have.

• Like 2

It’s virtually impossible to protect children from bad language. They hear it pretty much everywhere in day to day life.

As a very young lad aged 5 or 6 I said in front of my mother “bugger,bugger shit,shit”. She was horrified and my punishment was to be sent behind the armchair. It was same punishment if I’d been cheeky or naughty.

That was probably my first or second year and infant school - where did I hear it?  Nether mum or dad swore so it wasn’t from them

Like lots of fans I shout and swear at football more than I do in any other walks of life. However if I see kids close by I try to tone my language down even when others around me aren’t doing the same. Fortunately where I sit in the Lansdown I’ve not seen any young kids nearby.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

What about women and teenage girls...you happy to swear around them too ?

Ps it's offended not affended

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, Red-Al said:

When entering the ground last night,I was confronted by a steward in A8 section (disabled), I was asked my name which I gave, she said they've had a complaint about swearing ,the person who complained was a old man with a little girl,  I was told to calm done on my swearing, which I replied,well if they're affended  by verbal language at a football ground don't take the kids to football, or go into the family stand, I phone Supporters services this morning, they totally agreed with me, 

You were politely asked for a reason, accept what has been said like an adult and move on and respect that some people are offended by the words you use

• Like 6

There are a lot of disabled kids in there as we know. 

I would say that the club gave a warning, which in my book is appropriate to anyone in this section. Particularly as accusations like this may or may not be true.

However if the inclination is to use four letter language in the disabled section, the family section or anywhere in the ground there are women, you should probably use some less fruity expletives, gosh darn it! 

Nevertheless it’s often the parents and not the kids who get upset as kids are far more resilient than given credit for. As a boy who would listen to the Abervan chants, songs about race, getting effing heads kicked in and all out warfare on the terrace I’m not sure that sometimes parents are a bit too quick with getting upset. (I have no knowledge of the circumstances of this thread so have no opinion one way or another here)

We could of let Kasey Palmer kiss our wives couldn’t we! :laugh:!

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Technically swearing in public is a public order offence. 

Not sure I like your comments about don't take kids to football. 

Golly Gosh!........I think you will find kids have access to more bad language on TV and Film then they will ever encounter at football?   Swearing is a part of Football, always has been, and always will be.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

A football stadium isn't a public place though, you're on private property.

Very good point, but I believe there are certain criteria must be in place to protect the public/customers while in at private organisation. Swearing does not bother me but I try to be conscious of who are around me (if I don’t get carried away emotionally ??).

most swearing words are took out of context and has been bastardised to suit those who find it offensive.

e.g. **** originally means friend.

• Haha 1

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Careful.

He might tell you to F aff.

Incidentally, to add some balance, I have often heard children at the Gate, swearing like troopers.

But there is swearing like S**t and then there is swearing like c**t

Of course there is the odd use of any word but this could be a constant tirade

Either way the club have politely had a word, he should take note of that and move on

• Like 2