IGNORED

Pearson on Reda Khadra

And Its Smith

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Good knowledge but will they have it in Tescos?!

I don't know about Tesco, but I am sure it is available in the UK.

I drank mine in a lovely French restaurant in Dijon, although, as I was the guest of a client, I unfortunately omitted to note the particular vintage or even the variety.

What I do remember, though, ungrateful wretch that I am, was my scepticism when my client ordered it, exacerbated by my feigned interest when he recounted in some detail the (interesting) history of the vineyard and its founder.

On 03/11/2022 at 12:18, And Its Smith said:

A bit of a bizarre rant about another teams player here from Nige and he seems a bit bitter not to have got Reda Khadra in the summer on loan. 

When asked what he thought about Sheffield United changing system in the first half, he said:

"I don't think it was about us.  It was about a player who has been a huge disappointment since he's been there.  It was more to do with them thinking 'any chance of him running around'? It was quite a brave decision to hook him off.  We tried to get him in the summer. We know he's high maintenance and a bit of a character, but a very talented boy. We were very interested in taking him. His agent, or whoever it was, decided he should go to Sheffield United. I bet he wishes he should have come to us."

Very odd.  Pearson does let himself down at times with stuff like this. 

.. I bet he does NOT wish he had come to us!!!!!!

26 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Having lived and worked in Morocco for a few years I was very surprised as to the quality of some of their wines. Not all I might add !!  Never tried the Lebanese hooch but will certainly try when I can.

Will be in Oman at the end of January. Do they have anything worthwhile ?

I only visited once, for a few days back in the 1980s, although I do recall Muscat being very nice.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I only visited once, for a few days back in the 1980s, although I do recall Muscat being very nice.

Love it there. Spent a good bit of my time in Casablanca & Rabat but mostly Ifrane. As I say some surprisingly good wines to go with Fridays traditional Cous Cous.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Love it there. Spent a good bit of my time in Casablanca & Rabat but mostly Ifrane. As I say some surprisingly good wines to go with Fridays traditional Cous Cous.

I meant Oman.

I have visited Morocco on several occasions; mainly Casablanca, although also Rabat.

I used to stay in the Hyatt Regency next to the large souk, and spent many an hour wandering around the souk and its surroundings when not in meetings.

Unfortunately, I never made it to Marrakesh.

14 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

What I do remember, though, ungrateful wretch that I am, was my scepticism when my client ordered it, exacerbated by my feigned interest when he recounted in some detail the (interesting) history of the vineyard and its founder.

The Taibe family near Settat ? Do a nice line of honey also.

Only joking, not a clue myself.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I meant Oman.

I have visited Morocco on several occasions; mainly Casablanca, although also Rabat.

I used to stay in the Hyatt Regency next to the large souk, and spent many an hour wandering around the souk and its surroundings when not in meetings.

The souk near the Hyatt in Casa is fab. If you can get up to the walled section & souk of old Casa then it is amazing. Camel meat in the butcher and then across the street to the BBQ.

Marrakesh is a bit too touristy for me TBH.

El Jadida worth a visit also.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I meant Oman.

Am in Oman for a couple of days on business and then onto Kuala Lumpur for the same. Then head to Adelaide in South Australia to visit my 98 year old Dad for 3 weeks.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Am in Oman for a couple of days on business and then onto Kuala Lumpur for the same. Then head to Adelaide in South Australia to visit my 98 year old Dad for 3 weeks.

I hope you have a lovely time, especially visiting your father in Adelaide.

I seem to recall you posting about your father during the COVID confinement, and that he wasn't too well.

Hopefully, he has now recovered, and I am sure he will be pleased to see you.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I hope you have a lovely time, especially visiting your father in Adelaide.

I seem to recall you posting about your father during the COVID confinement, and that he wasn't too well.

Hopefully, he has now recovered, and I am sure he will be pleased to see you.

Anyway, this Khadra chap.

Is there any updated news?

No Dad is not great just now, hence the visit. Most likely the last one I fear.

Edited by BigTone
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I meant Oman.

I toured Morocco in 1987. We DID make it to Marrakesh and I remember sitting in a rooftop bar overlooking the market square with all its hustle and bustle. 
It was the hottest place I’ve ever visited. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

It was the hottest place I’ve ever visited

My Brother in Law is Moroccan , living in Essex for the last few months. 
Caught up at Christmas at the Mother in Laws. He was complaining about the cold, I was walking around in shorts as she had the heating up to 24* !!
He's taking a little time to acclimatise .

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1

The Medina in Marrakesh is definitely an assault on the senses. When visiting I love getting lost in the souk.

I can really recommend going up to the Atlas mountains if you stay in Marrakesh. It's not far to travel. 

I had a fantastic experience staying overnight with a Berber family in a Berber village. It was like going back in time. Animals living on the ground floor, people above. Plenty of sweet tea and fresh flat breads. They had people stay to supplement their Income. The woman also hand crushed to make argan oil.

We hiked up in the mountains...one of my fondest memories was stopping at a ' taverna ' up in the mountains. The tables and chairs were placed in a slow moving river, with cooling mountain water trickling over your feet in the heat. All whilst having fresh orange juice and lamb tagine at the table. Weeping willow type trees keeping some shade and what seemed like king fishers darting about. 

What many people also don't realise, is that you can ski and snowboard in the mountains. There are a few resorts that the locals use. My guide was a Ski Instructor there in the winter months. 

A magical experience and the people are really friendly. Can highly recommend visiting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spudski said:

The Medina in Marrakesh is definitely an assault on the senses. When visiting I love getting lost in the souk.

I can really recommend going up to the Atlas mountains if you stay in Marrakesh. It's not far to travel. 

I had a fantastic experience staying overnight with a Berber family in a Berber village. It was like going back in time. Animals living on the ground floor, people above. Plenty of sweet tea and fresh flat breads. They had people stay to supplement their Income. The woman also hand crushed to make argan oil.

We hiked up in the mountains...one of my fondest memories was stopping at a ' taverna ' up in the mountains. The tables and chairs were placed in a slow moving river, with cooling mountain water trickling over your feet in the heat. All whilst having fresh orange juice and lamb tagine at the table. Weeping willow type trees keeping some shade and what seemed like king fishers darting about. 

What many people also don't realise, is that you can ski and snowboard in the mountains. There are a few resorts that the locals use. My guide was a Ski Instructor there in the winter months. 

A magical experience and the people are really friendly. Can highly recommend visiting. 

I worked for a good while in Ifrane up in the mountains which has some of the best skiing available.  It's a country I love.

th.jpeg.jpg

Edited by BigTone
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Where is he going to play in this formation? Can’t see him being first choice so we aren’t improving the first team here.  Maybe Pearson changes formation 

Attacking midfielder who provides, creates and also adds to scoring. If Scott was to leave he'd replace him imo. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

Attacking midfielder who provides, creates and also adds to scoring. If Scott was to leave he'd replace him imo. 

Yeah I’m aware of where he plays. Just don’t think he gets in this team.  You are suggesting he’d play in a midfield two but not so sure about that.  In this formation it would only be Weimann’s position I could see him playing and can’t see AW not playing 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Yeah I’m aware of where he plays. Just don’t think he gets in this team.  You are suggesting he’d play in a midfield two but not so sure about that.  In this formation it would only be Weimann’s position I could see him playing and can’t see AW not playing 

_________________Max_________________

______Vyner___Naismith__Atkinson____

Tanner___James_____Kedra______Pring

______________Weimann_______________

______Conway__________Wells_________

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

Yeah I can’t see that at all to be honest but guess we will see. Maybe I’ve not seen enough of him but the 4-5 games I’ve seen he’s not seemed to be a midfield two kind of player 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

Think he'd be wasted there, Spud. 

Pacy, quick feet, can beat a man, got goals and assists in him. 

Think we'd need to rip it up and start again, formation wise, if he arrived - you might even get to see your 4-3-3. 

Or how about a 4-2-3-1?

Vyner - Atkinson - Naismith - Pring

Scott - James

Conway - Weimann - Khadra

Wells

At any rate, we know Pearson tried to get him here in the summer. Therefore, unlike so many times in the past, I trust our current manager to have a clear idea how he'd utilise the player - even if we're not sure. That's why Nige is sat in the dugout earning the big bucks and I'm sat in the Hen and Chicken none the wiser. 

"Dugout"! 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Think he'd be wasted there, Spud. 

Pacy, quick feet, can beat a man, got goals and assists in him. 

Think we'd need to rip it up and start again, formation wise, if he arrived - you might even get to see your 4-3-3! 

Or how about a 4-2-3-1?

Vyner - Atkinson - Naismith - Pring

Scott - James

Conway - Weimann - Khadra

Wells

I can still see it. But I only see him in the squad if Scott or Semenyo go...or both, as he's versatile as an Am or forward or wide player.

When in defence we would have 5 across the back. Then a midfield shield of 3, and two up front pressing. Two ...Weimann and Kedra would drop or press accordingly.

Formations these days have to be so much more fluid, and adaptable. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

I can still see it. But I only see him in the squad if Scott or Semenyo go...or both, as he's versatile as an Am or forward or wide player.

When in defence we would have 5 across the back. Then a midfield shield of 3, and two up front pressing. Two ...Weimann and Kedra would drop or press accordingly.

Formations these days have to be so much more fluid, and adaptable. 

He just seems wasted starting from so deep and if he bombed on when we're in possession - as well as Weimann - and you played with wing backs high and wide, you're left exposed when we turn over the ball with just James and 3 CBs for cover = scary/wide open.

Any idea how Blackburn used him last season? 

I hope we get him, he's just what we're missing attacking wise - someone unpredictable with a bit of x-factor, magic in their daps. Trouble is, Brighton included a clause that Sheffield had to buy. Would we agree to a similar clause I wonder?

8 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He just seems wasted starting from so deep and if he bombed on when we're in possession - as well as Weimann - and you played with wing backs high and wide, you're left exposed when we turn over the ball with just James and 3 CBs for cover = scary/wide open.

I hope we get him, he's just what we're missing attacking wise - someone unpredictable with a bit of x-factor, magic in their daps. Trouble is, Brighton included a clause that Sheffield had to buy. Would we agree to a similar clause I wonder?

That's the point...you have to see past the formation. For example...you attack with a Lwb...the RWB drops and vise versa.

You drill into players who drops, rotates, etc depending on play. 

Him and Weimann just behind a front two could be very productive imo, if others gain shape elsewhere.

You are basically attacking with a front two,can wing back and two AMs.

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I hope we get him, he's just what we're missing attacking wise - someone unpredictable with a bit of x-factor, magic in their daps. 

Mainly used as a left winger but best game I saw him was as a second striker.  

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

That's the point...you have to see past the formation. For example...you attack with a Lwb...the RWB drops and vise versa.

You drill into players who drops, rotates, etc depending on play. 

Him and Weimann just behind a front two could be very productive imo, if others gain shape elsewhere.

You are basically attacking with a front two,can wing back and two AMs.

Yes Weimann and Khadra behind a front two would be tasty.

But surely these days teams play with both full backs/wing backs pushed high - not one up and the other dropping and tucking in? 

If Trent has it on the Right, Robertson is high on the Left? If Walker has it, Cancelo isn't sat in with his CBs, he's high up too. Etc etc.

And - on a tangent - where Pep goes, the rest of football has followed - even if they haven't got the players to do so! Starting with most teams not having a keeper with the skills of Glenn Hoddle, yet asking him to play like a quarter back. Madness but often funny when watching the EFL highlights of a Saturday evening. 

Anyway, back to the point, where did Blackburn use Khadra?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes Weimann and Khadra behind a front two would be tasty.

But surely these days teams play with both full backs/wing backs pushed high - not one up and the other dropping and tucking in? 

If Trent has it on the Right, Robertson is high on the Left? If Walker has it, Cancelo isn't sat in with his CBs, he's high up too. Etc etc.

And - on a tangent - where Pep goes, the rest of football has followed - even if they haven't got the players to do so! Starting with most teams not having a keeper with the skills of Glenn Hoddle, yet asking him to play like a quarter back. Madness but often funny when watching the EFL highlights of a Saturday evening. 

Anyway, back to the point, where did Blackburn use Khadra?

It all depends on how you ask the players to drop or attack etc.

You can play as you say, with both wing backs forward. Or you can let one drop and allow the two AMs, the two strikers and the one wing back to be the five forward. 

Allowing 3cbs and a wing back and DM  to be behind. 

Hope that makes sense.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

It all depends on how you ask the players to drop or attack etc.

You can play as you say, with both wing backs forward. Or you can let one drop and allow the two AMs, the two strikers and the one wing back to be the five forward. 

Allowing 3cbs and a wing back and DM  to be behind. 

Hope that makes sense.

Yeah, I get it. Just that's not how teams are coached to play these days - all about making the pitch as wide as possible. On both sides. 

You're talking theoretically. And no-one's expecting Nige to re-invent current trends. If our players absorb his knowledge about the required levels of physical and mental commitment, the rest will take care of itself - we can look up and not worry about down. Tactics and formations be damned.