IGNORED

Pearson on Reda Khadra

And Its Smith

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yeah, I get it. Just that's not how teams are coached to play these days - all about making the pitch as wide as possible. On both sides. 

You're talking theoretically. And no-one's expecting Nige to re-invent current trends. If our players absorb his knowledge about the required levels of physical and mental commitment, the rest will take care of itself - we can look up and not worry about down. Tactics and formations be damned. 

Some teams do when they set up 433. With a flying full back. They then become 424 when offensive. You become expansive in the build up. 

One wide, 4 across box when in final third. 

44 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes Weimann and Khadra behind a front two would be tasty.

But surely these days teams play with both full backs/wing backs pushed high - not one up and the other dropping and tucking in? 

If Trent has it on the Right, Robertson is high on the Left? If Walker has it, Cancelo isn't sat in with his CBs, he's high up too. Etc etc.

And - on a tangent - where Pep goes, the rest of football has followed - even if they haven't got the players to do so! Starting with most teams not having a keeper with the skills of Glenn Hoddle, yet asking him to play like a quarter back. Madness but often funny when watching the EFL highlights of a Saturday evening. 

Anyway, back to the point, where did Blackburn use Khadra?

I answered your question as to where he was played. Left wing mainly. Second striker sometimes which seems his best position 

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Ah, you're basing it on your preferred 4-3-3. 

Can't see Pearson going with that though.  

It's a mixture between a 433 and 352....like I implied, it's getting players drilled into certain scenarios.

Fortunately we have 3 forwards in Wells, Conway and Weimann who can all play across the front and either be affective at scoring or delivering into the box. Add that to Prings delivery. And a Khadra influential both centrally and wide...you have a formidable front line when offensive.

43 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But surely these days teams play with both full backs/wing backs pushed high - not one up and the other dropping and tucking in? 

Not exclusively, it's sometimes asymmetrical. For City Cancelo tends to start high up (and join in midfield) with Walker deeper. Italy, and indeed England, at the Euros played with one full back high and one deeper. France at the World Cup similarly.

It also enables you to tuck one full back in to create a back 3 as required. Liverpool certainly play both high as you say but they don't seem to be typical.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's a mixture between a 433 and 352....like I implied, it's getting players drilled into certain scenarios.

Fortunately we have 3 forwards in Wells, Conway and Weimann who can all play across the front and either be affective at scoring or delivering into the box. Add that to Prings delivery. And a Khadra influential both centrally and wide...you have a formidable front line when offensive.

Completely agree, offensively.

Worried how that leaves us defensively, with just 5 players behind the ball - and probably only 4, as you know Tanner would most likely be higher up the pitch, leaving us with - not a flat back 4 plus James but a 3 plus James. And James being useless when exposed to this extent, basically a back 3.

It would take a brave manager to play like this in the Championship, even one as assured and self-confident as Pearson. 

So, whilst I respect your theory (sincerely), I thinks it's just that. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Not exclusively, it's sometimes asymmetrical. For City Cancelo tends to start high up (and join in midfield) with Walker deeper. Italy, and indeed England, at the Euros played with one full back high and one deeper. France at the World Cup similarly.

It also enables you to tuck one full back in to create a back 3 as required. Liverpool certainly play both high as you say but they don't seem to be typical.

Exactly.

So if we want to win the Champions League, rather than get to the final and blow it, we need high flying full backs on both sides ?

As if. 

11 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Completely agree, offensively.

Worried how that leaves us defensively, with just 5 players behind the ball - and probably only 4, as you know Tanner would most likely be higher up the pitch, leaving us with - not a flat back 4 plus James but a 3 plus James. And James being useless when exposed to this extent, basically a back 3.

It would take a brave manager to play like this in the Championship, even one as assured and self-confident as Pearson. 

So, whilst I respect your theory (sincerely), I thinks it's just that. 

Thanks ? it's hard to describe on here, but you'd have 5 behind the ball...and if you lose possession you track back accordingly.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Yeah I’m aware of where he plays. Just don’t think he gets in this team.  You are suggesting he’d play in a midfield two but not so sure about that.  In this formation it would only be Weimann’s position I could see him playing and can’t see AW not playing 

In a back three system, from what I’ve seen of him, I could see the old Holdenball “a six and 2 eights”, where Khadra plays as the Paterson 8…if that makes sense.  Weimann the other 8.  I think our WBs would need to realise they have to “play inside” sometimes, which they don’t unless it’s with the ball.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Mainly used as a left winger but best game I saw him was as a second striker.  

If we continue with a back three then we could go 3421, two no10s.  Khadra would fit that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In a back three system, from what I’ve seen of him, I could see the old Holdenball “a six and 2 eights”, where Khadra plays as the Paterson 8…if that makes sense.  Weimann the other 8.  I think our WBs would need to realise they have to “play inside” sometimes, which they don’t unless it’s with the ball.

If we continue with a back three then we could go 3421, two no10s.  Khadra would fit that.

Yep.  It will mean a change in formation if he signs for sure.  

He's looking for a Knockaert type player and I see similarities between him and Khadra, could see him playing off two strikers or as one of two behind a striker for sure. We'd have to invest in more wide players and change the whole formation if he wanted to play him as a winger.

Ripped us to pieces at our place for Blackburn I seem to remember, absolutely rapid and not afraid to dribble past someone, something we really lack.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spudski said:

_________________Max_________________

______Vyner___Naismith__Atkinson____

Tanner___James_____Kedra______Pring

______________Weimann_______________

______Conway__________Wells_________

Out of curiosity, why have you got Naismith in the middle and RA on the left?

I thought since he has come back in to the team - early days, I know - RA has done well in the middle, KN’s mistakes less ‘dangerous’ away from the middle (or, at least, when he is not the last man) and, if he would just make sure he beats the first man when taking corners, KN has been quite steady.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

He's looking for a Knockaert type player and I see similarities between him and Khadra, could see him playing off two strikers or as one of two behind a striker for sure. We'd have to invest in more wide players and change the whole formation if he wanted to play him as a winger.

Ripped us to pieces at our place for Blackburn I seem to remember, absolutely rapid and not afraid to dribble past someone, something we really lack.

Yep.

De Laet = Tanner

Konchesky = Pring

Keane = Kalas

Morgan = (we haven't got one yet)

James = James!

Drinkwater = Scott

Marshall = who he?

Knockaert would = Khadra

Nugent = Weimann/Conway/Wells/takeyerpick

Wood = (we haven't got one yet)

But we're getting there. Apart from a Schmeichel. One of those always helps. And obvs the shape needs tweaking as 4-4-2 is soooo yesterday.

Apparently. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

35 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Out of curiosity, why have you got Naismith in the middle and RA on the left?

I thought since he has come back in to the team - early days, I know - RA has done well in the middle, KN’s mistakes less ‘dangerous’ away from the middle (or, at least, when he is not the last man) and, if he would just make sure he beats the first man when taking corners, KN has been quite steady.

Yes I agree...mistake on my part when I wrote too fast. Prefer Atkinson central. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Wasn't he subbed off first half for Dolan?

Then the latter ripped us apart. May be miss-remembering.

Well it seems old Reda has signed for Brum now so we may get him here soon now....... also see a certain Mr Caulker has signed for Wigan, and Morrison from Cardiff to Rotherham; chuck in some u20 England winger to Blackpool from Man City and we get.....well a bit harder battle ahead atm.