IGNORED

Team for Saturday?

Coin-op

I thought Conway played the role behind the strikers brilliantly against Lincoln when he come on. Would like to see that again but maybe not Saturday. I’d like to see our biggest and most athletic squad out there personally.

RCB and CB is tough because I don’t reckon Klose or King is athletic enough for the role in the centre. Vyner can play it but who plays RCB? Atkinson or Pring? Can’t see that. So Vyner rcb then who in the centre? Think Atkinson could maybe play it but taking a lot of the good he brings out of the equation. So unless Kalas or Naismith is fit it probably has to be Klose. 

So that said, unless NP changes formation, I would go with

Max

Vyner Klose Atkinson

Weimann Williams James Scott Pring

Conway Wells

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Think the team will be the following but who knows

O’Leary

Weimann Vyner Atkinson Pring JD

Scott James Williams

Wells  Conway

Assuming Atkinson is fit, then I don’t think you’ll be a million miles away.  The only question mark is who plays RCB3 and CB3, after Zak did well as the central man previously.

• Like 1

What about this line up

O’Leary

Vyner.           Klose.          Atkinson

JD.           Scott.              James.         Pring

Weimann

Conway                          Wells

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Why should he be picking Bentley? O’Leary not do enough to keep his place last week? ??

Embarrasing.

I'm of the old-fashioned opinion that the manager should pick his best team.  Do you not recall the last time Pearson kept picking O'Leary until he went back to Bentley?

Embarrassing.

8 hours ago, Northern Red said:

The poster has evidently decided that Pearson should go, therefore whatever team he picks will be wrong, regardless of what actually happens in the match.

I've certainly decided that Pearson should go, like many Bristol City fans who don't wear rose-tinted glasses.  The rest of your post is unfair and unfounded.

If he picks

Bentley

Vyner Klose Atkinson

Semenyo Massengo Scott Pring

Weimann

Conway Wells

then I will not criticise him even if we lose 0-4.

• Confused 4

56 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Like it except for Dasilva. And williams not the player i thought we had .

I don’t see what other options we have. I don’t want to see Semenyo and Sykes in the starting line up for the foreseeable if it can be avoided and I’d rather Williams gets stuck in as a bare minimum.

10 hours ago, Chivs said:

I'm expecting Pearson to pick King "I'm slower than Chris Martin me" at centre back.

O'Leary will be back. I hope and expect AW behind Conway and Wells, which is good.

Pearson should be picking Bentley and Massengo but won't of course.  We will get one of Jilliking (I literally can't distinguish between the three midfielders "Big Nige" brought in).

To be honest, I don't mind which team we play as long as Pearson hasn't picked them.

Why???

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

I'm of the old-fashioned opinion that the manager should pick his best team.  Do you not recall the last time Pearson kept picking O'Leary until he went back to Bentley?

Embarrassing.

I've certainly decided that Pearson should go, like many Bristol City fans who don't wear rose-tinted glasses.  The rest of your post is unfair and unfounded.

If he picks

Bentley

Vyner Klose Atkinson

Semenyo Massengo Scott Pring

Weimann

Conway Wells

then I will not criticise him even if we lose 0-4.

I'll have a pint of what your on..

3 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

If fit zero chance Naismith or Kalas would be risked pre break ....

Would be insanity to do so.

I assumed it wasn’t going to be the case, but Pearson said last week that Kalas was back in training & after Low’s struggles midweek & it being obvious he’s pissed off with Klose, I wondered if he might have made the squad.

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I assumed it wasn’t going to be the case, but Pearson said last week that Kalas was back in training & after Low’s struggles midweek & it being obvious he’s pissed off with Klose, I wondered if he might have made the squad.

We can live in hope as our best defender by a mile.

3 hours ago, tin said:

I don’t see what other options we have. I don’t want to see Semenyo and Sykes in the starting line up for the foreseeable if it can be avoided and I’d rather Williams gets stuck in as a bare minimum.

No im hoping Tanner is the answer at RB he likes a tackle and can get forward  williams not the player i thought we had an Dasilva struggles to get the ball above head height . Were in a mess back there at moment .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

O'Leary

Sykes     Vyner    Atkinson   Pring       

Williams    James                 

Scott                        Weimann                                   

Conway           Wells                 

Can't see Klose starting tbh and would like to see 2 defensive midfielders to protect the defence. 

JD and Semenyo dropped for me.      

There might be something in that line up

14 hours ago, Shuffle said:

O’Leary

Scott James Williams

Wells  Conway

Or that one

10 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Anyone picking Klose and Semenyo and maybe Sykes in the starting line up for Saturday either didn't go Tuesday, or hasn't since heard what Pearson has said.

best bit for me tuesday was a lincoln defender went down injured by the goalpost after a skyward wide shot from semenyo, bloke next to me asked what happened. i told him hed split his sides laughing  made his night

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Shuffle said:

O’Leary

Scott James Williams

Wells  Conway

I agree that you have to go Weimann at RWB. It's mad that after signing the L2 POTY in that position, and repurposing Sykes into an RWB, out best player in that position is still a forward.

However as up top is the one part of the pitch we don't have injury issues, then we can spare Weimann for RWB. He's at least got the tactical discipline to adapt his game and help Vyner out.

Klose being dropped is also fair, and yes that necessitates Atkinson coming central and so Pring and Dasilva then follow as you have it.

The other 5 pick themselves imo, and he won't change back to Bentley for this one game before the break.

I think that's our best available XI, with the best chance of getting at least a point off of Watford.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I agree that you have to go Weimann at RWB. It's mad that after signing the L2 POTY in that position, and repurposing Sykes into an RWB, out best player in that position is still a forward.

However as up top is the one part of the pitch we don't have injury issues, then we can spare Weimann for RWB. He's at least got the tactical discipline to adapt his game and help Vyner out.

Klose being dropped is also fair, and yes that necessitates Atkinson coming central and so Pring and Dasilva then follow as you have it.

The other 5 pick themselves imo, and he won't change back to Bentley for this one game before the break.

I think that's our best available XI, with the best chance of getting at least a point off of Watford.

Honestly thought I would be last person to advocate Weimann as a RWB but cannot see another option.  Fed up of Sykes as offers nothing and same could be said of Jay but with injuries no viable alternative unfortunately he starts.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Honestly thought I would be last person to advocate Weimann as a RWB but cannot see another option.  Fed up of Sykes as offers nothing and same could be said of Jay but with injuries no viable alternative unfortunately he starts.

If we maintain the current system , and deploying 2 (James & Scott ?)  mid pitch with one (AW ?) in behind 2 

Id consider somebody who hasn’t been mentioned for that RWB role - Joe Williams

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Interesting. My one question is in exactly which minute do you think he'd get the red card? Sorry, that's a little patronising, but the point is I don't think Williams has got the discipline, or the legs, to play RWB properly. He'd either scythe someone down early, or get so knackered later on that he'd take someone out unintentionally. I don't trust him in that position.

For me the only alternative to Weimann at RWB is going to a flat 4, and a) I am not sure we have the personnel for that, b) I know we don't train for that and c) Pearson doesn't trust us to play that.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Interesting. My one question is in exactly which minute do you think he'd get he red card? Sorry, that's a little patronising, but the point is I don't think Williams got the discipline, or the legs, to play RWB properly. He'd either scythe someone down early, or get so knackered later on that he'd take someone out unintentionally. I don't trust him in that position.

For me the only alternative to Weimann at RWB is going to a flat 4, and a) I am not sure we have the personnel for that, b) I know we don't train for that and c) Pearson doesn't trust us to play that.

I think he has the tools to at least do a job there  EA, maybe a bit of getting our best 11 players on the pitch too

Your points are fair questions - As for the ‘legs’ question - My belief is that if the system is played decently the WBs shouldn’t be having to do continual 40/50 yd doggies

The wing backs should IMHO move up the pitch , largely ‘with the ball’

TAA is a classic example of a WB who doesn’t do that and is regularly , significantly ahead of the ball , and look at the holes he leaves

However Klopp accepts the trade off as TAA is exceptional in his attacking threat and thus Klopp wants him in the opponents half as much as poss 

His creativity and the threat he opposes attacking wise somewhat justifies , at least , that ‘trade off’ , 

Our wing backs simply don’t provide a great attacking or creative threat and , IMHO should be used conservatively , with concentration on solidity 

needlessly / sloppily giving  the ball away a lot  , especially in the final third exposes them positionally and thus requires too many recovery runs , and I’m not sure that will change overnight so , IMHO whoever plays as the WBs need to be more cautious positionally

Edited by Sheltons Army

23 hours ago, Coin-op said:

Not a great deal of options for Sat!  If 3 at the back, I wonder if Sykes will play RWB or if we revert to last season and play Scott there?  Who plays in defense?  I thought Vyner looked much more assured as the central defender than right sided in the last few league games but am sure will play RCB as no other options.

It's not an easy pick and am glad I don't have to pick this team! ?

if 3/5 at the back, I would go with....                       

O'Leary

Sykes        Vyner     Klose     Atkinson   Pring       (Not my 1st choice defensive unit but who else?)

James      Scott

Weimann                                   (Possiby play AW or Scott at RWB and bring Williams or HNM in?)

Conway           Wells                           (Semenyo just not doing it for me lately.)

Jeez that was hard!  Have I missed anyone?  Any of these injured?  What team would you like to see?

Does it really matter who plays. What does matter is that who ever plays we put up a good performance. If we play like s%$t again the important topic is what time does NP drop his lease car off on Monday morning

17 hours ago, tin said:

I would go:

—————-— O’Leary————

——-Vyner—Atkinson—Pring—-

Scott——James——Williams—Dasilva

——————-Weimann————

—————-Wells——-Conway——

Going by what NP said in his latest press conference, about trusting players and the team picked will ' speak for itself'...then I think this maybe the probable line up.

My only other thought based on his comments, could be Weimann going where DaSilva is, and Martin where Weimann was.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Going by what NP said in his latest press conference, about trusting players and the team picked will ' speak for itself'...then I think this maybe the probable line up.

My only other thought based on his comments, could be Weimann going where DaSilva is, and Martin where Weimann was.

Continuing to play wing backs without one in form wingback, let alone two is starting to baffle me.  I think I’d rather see this. Not perfect but just looks better to me

O’Leary

Vyner.  Klose.  Atkinson.   Pring

Scott. James. Williams

Weimann.  Conway.  Semenyo 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Continuing to play wing backs without one in form wingback, let alone two is starting to baffle me.  I think I’d rather see this. Not perfect but just looks better to me

O’Leary

Vyner.  Klose.  Atkinson.   Pring

Scott. James. Williams

Weimann.  Conway.  Semenyo 

I agree...as you will have seen from my numerous posts, I don't like the wing back set up that we use.

I don't think NP trusts Klose at the moment nor King. 

I'd prefer your set up. However I don't think NP will budge from our system for this game.

There is however an opportunity to consider a change over the WC break. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

If we maintain the current system , and deploying 2 (James & Scott ?)  mid pitch with one (AW ?) in behind 2 

I’d rather Massengo played there than Williams, you have to get up & back relentlessly at wing back & I don’t think he can.

@CyderHead92 Tanner is suspended, last game of a 3 match one.