IGNORED

Watford at home match thread

City and the Gas play at home at 3 pm on Saturday. NP has said, ‘Managers don't go forever on a run of bad results. I'm aware that this is going to be an important game because otherwise, people might start wondering about what my position is.’

We head into the World Cup break after this game. Their manager says this was, in part, why he accepted the job at Watford.

He said “The World Cup break is a pre-season for us, and that is one of the reasons I took the job. I knew that quite soon after I arrived I was going to have a chance to have a sort of pre-season. What we have to try and do is get to that point without too many scars.”

Bilic explained why the constant barrage of matches is a problem. “Three games in a week is not uncommon, not just for Championship clubs but also for teams in the Premier League as you have the Champions League, the Europa League. The issue is the standard of those three games in a week. But when you talk about five games or six games in two weeks, nobody has a squad so big that you can just handle that. If you don’t have enough players available to rotate them, if you have a few players that are out, then you are expecting the same group of players to play five or six times in two weeks. Physically that is very demanding, but mentally even more so. Games of football drain you emotionally. And if you add to that long trips to away games, less chances to train, then it’s not easy.”

NP on the topic of the WC break had this to say ‘It’s an opportunity but I don’t welcome it. It just seems odd, that we’re having a major competition mid-season but that’s what it is, and we will try and make the most of it. It's going to be an important time for us to prepare for the next window depending on whether we can or can't do business but we still have to do the groundwork on that. If we do business, I want to do it immediately and I don't want to do it at the end of January because that's a waste of time. You've wasted a month so if we do have aspirations to bring people in, it makes sense to do it as early as possible so this build-up to the World Cup break or until the window opens is always very, very important.’

Having made an immediate return to the top flight after being relegated in 2019/20 Watford were relegated after just one season in the top flight finishing last season in 19th place on 23 points,  having managed six wins and five draws. They also set an unwanted club record of only managing four clean sheets all season.

NP had a spell at the helm (2019/20) for Watford and can point at a decent win 35% win record:

Only two managers, Gianfranco Zola and Javi Gracia, have lasted more than a year under the club's current owners, with Watford's 16 managerial changes the most of any team in England's top two tiers over the last decade! https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53464251

The most recent casualty being Rob Edwards’ whose reign as manager ended in September, he was quickly replaced by Slaven Bilic. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63034556

They celebrated the 100th birthday of Vicarage Road on August 30, which marked the 100th anniversary of the Hornets’ first match at The Vic.

Our head to head record is won 37, lost 30 and drawn 30. On Tuesday they were at home to Reading which they won 2-0 thanks to two goals from João Pedro.

Last time out it was a bit of a spanking and Dean Holden was sacked soon afterwards :

In October midfielder Imran Louza was ruled out for a few months with a broken leg.

Can you name five players who have played for us and them?

NP:

Max O’Leary:

Their match thread: https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/bristol-city-vs-watford-12th-nov-2022-3pm.59815/

Referee is David Webb, he was handed his first game as referee for the Bury v Brentford game in 2007, having previously worked for a charity that supports adults with learning difficulties and mental health problems.

Assistants Matthew Jones and Sam Lewis fourth official John Busby.

There are special half time events taking place: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/john-ward-team-and-bakes-half-time-celebration/

This fixture is dedicated to the Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal in memory and support of those who serve to defend our democratic freedoms and way of life. The players from both teams will come out of the tunnel earlier than normal ahead of kick-off for a small ceremony and moment's silenced observed. Fans are kindly asked to take their seats by 2.45pm  Volunteers from the Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal will also be in attendance and donations – no matter how big or small – will make a substantial difference. Poppies will also be available for purchase. 

Finally, the five players are……. https://www.watfordfc.com/news/been-at-both-five-who-have-played-for-the-hornets-and-the-robins

See ya the other side of the World Cup, COYR!

E848FB8F-8D5A-4418-91E1-D7DCA1745C27.jpeg

DA987F20-E5A8-4442-921D-6101AEC5045C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9
2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I’m driving down from London to be in BS3 by 12:30 in order to get my hair done.

looking forward to the last home game before the break.

Any advice on what nosh to try?

Lucky you.

I've been tearing my hair out whilst watching City over the years.

With regards to the nosh, perhaps Mullet would be appropriate for both hairstyle and taste-buds.

But then again, I'm only fishing for compliments.

Edited by Bazooka Joe
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Lucky you.

I've been tearing my hair out whilst watching City over the years.

With regards to the nosh, perhaps Mullet would be appropriate for both hairstyle and taste-buds.

But then again, I'm only fishing for compliments.

I've got a lot more grey than I did before I started watching City.

Old Lady Vintage GIF by Archives of Ontario | Archives publiques de l'Ontario

• Haha 1

It's a big game. Not just for Nige and his future but for our position going forward. 

I'm in the  Nige  needs to move on camp( no surprise) but I'd much prefer 3 points tomorrow than to see the end of his tenure and any so called fans who think that a loss will be good in that it means  Nige's dismissal is basically not a supporter.

This team is capable of beating Watford and they need to step up and do so- for us supporters at the very least.They owe us one.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I’m driving down from London to be in BS3 by 12:30 in order to get my hair done.

looking forward to the last home game before the break.

Any advice on what nosh to try?

Just a moment, it’s no good throwing in a bit of info that you’re travelling over 100 miles to get your hair done without providing any details. Is this going to be a bouffant Swiss Toney style or a polished billiard ball style? The least you can do is provide before and after pics 

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Just a moment, it’s no good throwing in a bit of info that you’re travelling over 100 miles to get your hair done without providing any details. Is this going to be a bouffant Swiss Toney style or a polished billiard ball style? The least you can do is provide before and after pics 

Perhaps she`s having an LJ and having streaks put in................................

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It's a big game. Not just for Nige and his future but for our position going forward. 

I'm in the  Nige  needs to move on camp( no surprise) but I'd much prefer 3 points tomorrow than to see the end of his tenure and any so called fans who think that a loss will be good in that it means  Nige's dismissal is basically not a supporter.

This team is capable of beating Watford and they need to step up and do so- for us supporters at the very least.They owe us one.

I agree, tomorrow’s game feels really important. A bad defeat would put more pressure on NP’s position and make the international break uncomfortable due to our league position. 

I’m really hoping for a heroic three points for us, but the team is so fragile - it seems that our players have to be at the top of their game to get a win, and that’s just not been happening. The players really do need to step up and get the basics right. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Bad Hair Day Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 3

I thought long and hard about players who have represented both clubs and got all those mentioned.

I then looked at the link to check, and was astonished to find that, apart from a player from many years ago, I had omitted a current player, i.e. still playing - for City or Watford, to avoid spoiling it for others who might be trying to solve the question - and, frankly, I never knew he had played for both clubs. 

• Like 1

This is the third and final game of my leave back in the UK from horrible China. The first two were Millwall, and Lincoln, two miserable defeats and utterly woeful performances.

If it’s going to be three defeats in three then so be it, all I ask is that we give it 100%, play as a team, don’t give away any stupid goals and make Watford work bloody hard if they want to come away with anything. Is that too much to ask for?

• Robin 1