IGNORED

Watford at home match thread

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Watford didn’t turn up or we didn’t allow them to play with out intensity? The fact you phrase it as you do says a lot. We had more than two chances. I just named the two best. Watford had one shot all game. Good performance from us 

There was some excellent structure and discipline to our play this afternoon.  And real trust from the players as teammates.

I’ll put up this pic again.17F0A974-4492-4E29-915F-0849C27C6399.thumb.jpeg.bec939163276d81ce968236753129c5a.jpeg

With Watford switching the ball from LCB to RCB and Conway on the chase, Dasilva makes a real effort to go to their RB Gaspar (the friendly ghost!) leaving Sema.  We can see Pring is in-sync and is working hard to get to Sema, so Jay isn’t easily bypassed.  Because Cam is now marking, King has to mark Davis and Vyner therefore is now shaping up to pick up the loose forward, happy to leave his man on the left wing. Weimann “on his bike” to pick up Zak’s man.  With Jay about to close down the RB, Watford go back to the keeper.

Pring, King and Vyner were happy to 3 v 3, whereas in the past our 3 CBs have only been happy to mark 1, let alone 2 (and have 1 spare), often meaning we get over-run in midfield.

This was really good to see.  Good intent (not the pub the Broomhill)!

When the ball was on the opposite side, we did exactly the same with Weimann closing down the RB, in mirror-fashion.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Absolutely. Pearson got a huge call right and fair play to him 

Careful Dave, remember it’s the players who get the credit when it goes better! ?

4 hours ago, BasSavage88 said:

Performances like that are what annoy me about the shit ones. How do we play like that with intensity one week then like they've never played football the week after.

Wells motm ran his ******* ass off and was getting battered 

But don’t you think you perhaps need more balance in your appraisal each week.  Because we haven’t been shit that often this season, yet you are constantly castigating them all through most week’s MDT’s.

4 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Jesus wept

Another couple of know it all whiners on RB again Nigel Whittle and Paul Binning

What is it with our fans who love the sound of their own voice , and think we do too

Paul is pretty balanced imho.

Nigel even admitted to not liking Nige, and then came up with some bullshit about he’s signed 12 players but only 2 started.  Geoff saw through his agenda with comments around the academy players…and to add no credit given to Nige re Vyner, O’Leary, Pring and Wells who had no future until Nige came in.  Nor did he mention injuries.  Really bugged me.

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think today saying Watford were awful is fair. Idk if I have seen a side that poor this season. Sheffield United and Swansea we outplayed good sides. 

Today was good. Our 2 best strikers. Our 3 best midfielders. Weimann who can’t have the same role as last season is a better rwb than Sykes. Dasilva good player. I really love Pring and Vyner and their commitment. Can debate Kalas and Atkinson coming back but those 2 have played very well. King didn’t have much to do but battled hard. 

I think this is my gripe about city. I don’t think there is a reason we can’t perform like today more regularly. If Watford had ended up with a late winner you don’t get angry just unlucky because the performance was solid. Today, Sheffield United and Swansea we were better than sides casuals would say are better than us. That is without Atkinson and Kalas who would probably be in our best XI on paper and an out of form Semenyo. 

I can’t argue we aren’t as deep as some sides or we don’t have the money of some sides. That is fine but we have plenty of good players and good young players to supplement them for performances of this quality more often. The league is open so lets fight to be as close to the top for as long as possible. It sends a message that might make players keen to stay another season or prospective players want to join. 

Joe - this is why I say that with most of our better players on the pitch we can be competitive, and I get why you are frustrated (sometimes).  In some respects, the last two league games, Nige has said “sod the round pegs in round holes, I’m just gonna put my better players on the pitch”.  I know it’s not quite as simple as that, but today playing King over Atkinson was probably based on his communications, as he’s alluded to Rob being an introvert.  With two “lesser” (hope you get what I’m getting at?) CBs either side, it would’ve been a tough role for Rob to play as the central man and coax Vyner and Pring through.  Don’t get me wrong it was a gamble.  However last season, Rob was fine as the CB3 between Kalas and Baker.

Today it was obvious who those better players are.

• Like 1

I normally wait a day to comment, then again, we've normally lost.
But Today was different, and still the same.

Third League game in a row against sides expected to challenge, we have been the better side. We have looked solid AND creative. Not one player disappointed, and the likes of Pring, James, Williams and Vyner being outstanding. The pressing was good and purposeful , we were organised and with a little luck with the bounce of the ball could and should have won the game. The weakest part of the team, unsurprisingly was RWB and even then Weimann was decent, even forcing the keeper to an excellent save.
The most annoying thing as usual was the Ref, I actually thought the Linesmen did well, though maybe could have pointed out some of the more obvious fouls missed by the Ref.  The two Penalty shouts (both Pens IMO but the shirt pull could easily been missed) , another studs up dangerous kicking and some laughably soft free kicks given to Watford came in a performance that started well for Williams, only to seem to get worse as the game went on. 

Our form , performance wise has been good. Yes results not so much , but we are only a little off of changing that. If we can play the same way after the break, we will have nothing to worry about. Not perfect, but some very good signs.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Without belittling King’s performance, James as a screen was so good today (we’ve been crying out fir that type of performance as a CM / DM.  They barely got a ground pass into Davis today.  And once Pring won that tackle on Sema as he cut infield off the right wing, their attack appeared toothless.

I felt we looked so much better with 3 ‘proper’ midfielders. We looked more solid and protected the back 3. At the same time didn’t give up all that space in the centre of the park (I think you referred to it recently as WTAF space) and we’re able to play through the middle more effectively.

When we play with wing backs and with Weimann in that ‘free’ role up front we are left with just two proper midfielders. One of who’s jobs seems to be to pass back to the back three so that they can try to get it out wide. The other just gets isolated and totally overwhelmed by 2-3 opponents.
Today James had the opportunity to provide that screen without us completely giving up midfield. And Scott and Williams always had options - no co-incidence Williams had such a good game IMO.

And I thought Weimann did a great job as wing back too. He and Vyner worked really hard for each other (again, no co-incidence Vyner had such a good game) and unlike last week Vyner had the assurance that he could rely on Weimann as his wing back and on James dropping back. 

• Like 6

We played well today and should of won but we were a little shot shy and we wasted some good positions. At least twice Tommy had a chance to take on the last man and get a shot away but elected to pass which came to nothing. Yet another blatant nailed on penalty denied but no shocks there. Watford managed one shot in the entire game, an awful effort after 76 minutes which flew high and wide. Overall happy with the performance but it feels like two points dropped. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

We played well today and should of won but we were a little shot shy and we wasted some good positions. At least twice Tommy had a chance to take on the last man and get a shot away but elected to pass which came to nothing. Yet another blatant nailed on penalty denied but no shocks there. Watford managed one shot in the entire game, an awful effort after 76 minutes which flew high and wide. Overall happy with the performance but it feels like two points dropped. 

Conway and Wells have such a good understanding, and that showed again today. But a couple of times on good breaks they each played the ball behind the other, such a shame as they’d have both been great chances. 

32 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Conway and Wells have such a good understanding, and that showed again today. But a couple of times on good breaks they each played the ball behind the other, such a shame as they’d have both been great chances. 

Don't want to be critical because I thought everyone was excellent today, but TC should have buried the 1st half header and played the ball earlier to Wells when they were breaking 2 on 1 but just delayed too long. His 1 on 1 chance he put wide was difficult 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Don't want to be critical because I thought everyone was excellent today, but TC should have buried the 1st half header and played the ball earlier to Wells when they were breaking 2 on 1 but just delayed too long. His 1 on 1 chance he put wide was difficult 

From my viewing point I couldn’t tell whether the defender did well to stop the passing angle or not?

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

From my viewing point I couldn’t tell whether the defender did well to stop the passing angle or not?

Yeah, my rinstant eaction was to turn to my mate & say that was top class defending.

Was right in front of us and the way he stopped TC having space for the pass was very aware & top drawer. 

17 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Watford didn’t turn up or we didn’t allow them to play with out intensity? The fact you phrase it as you do says a lot. We had more than two chances. I just named the two best. Watford had one shot all game. Good performance from us 

I was at the match and I thought Bilic gave a very fair assessment after the match (on the sky highlights). He basically said we were more aggressive, passed it better and more quickly than them but that Watford defended well and their keeper made a good save from Weimann and so all in all a draw was a good result for them. In terms of the context for the season as a whole, I do take comfort that in the last couple of weeks we have outplayed two teams in the top 4 (Sheff U being the other one) - need to come back firing with these levels of performance in December plus I’m hoping the break will help provide time for Naismith and Kalas to regain fitness. 

• Like 5
12 hours ago, italian dave said:

I felt we looked so much better with 3 ‘proper’ midfielders. We looked more solid and protected the back 3. At the same time didn’t give up all that space in the centre of the park (I think you referred to it recently as WTAF space) and we’re able to play through the middle more effectively.

When we play with wing backs and with Weimann in that ‘free’ role up front we are left with just two proper midfielders. One of who’s jobs seems to be to pass back to the back three so that they can try to get it out wide. The other just gets isolated and totally overwhelmed by 2-3 opponents.
Today James had the opportunity to provide that screen without us completely giving up midfield. And Scott and Williams always had options - no co-incidence Williams had such a good game IMO.

And I thought Weimann did a great job as wing back too. He and Vyner worked really hard for each other (again, no co-incidence Vyner had such a good game) and unlike last week Vyner had the assurance that he could rely on Weimann as his wing back and on James dropping back. 

Yes I will be surprised if we don’t see this midfield set up again when we come back in December. It worked well. I know RWB isn’t Weimann’s favoured position but tbf he does it very well - he breaks forward with pace, crosses well and has the work rate to get back. 

• Like 4
On 12/11/2022 at 14:38, ORANGE500 said:

Does supporting Bristol City ever give you any joy? Why the hell do you bother you do realise it's not compulsory to folow a football team it seems to envelop you in misery and gloom always negative.

I think you may be confusing me for another poster, I would say I'm fairly level headed. The football the last 2 months has been very negative, and that would be reflected in my comments, but when Naismith was fit and we were playing good football at the start of the season I was very happy. 

We played well yesterday, which I am happy about. But pre-game, following mid weeks loss vs Lincoln, based on Kings performance at CB vs B'ham, Weimann never really being outstanding when shifted to RB, and a good Watford team then expecting a loss is not a surprise.

On 13/11/2022 at 10:32, eardun said:

I was at the match and I thought Bilic gave a very fair assessment after the match (on the sky highlights). He basically said we were more aggressive, passed it better and more quickly than them but that Watford defended well and their keeper made a good save from Weimann and so all in all a draw was a good result for them. In terms of the context for the season as a whole, I do take comfort that in the last couple of weeks we have outplayed two teams in the top 4 (Sheff U being the other one) - need to come back firing with these levels of performance in December plus I’m hoping the break will help provide time for Naismith and Kalas to regain fitness. 

Plus for Atkinson to get over his bug fully, he's far better than our collective failure v Lincoln I would suggest- that said some of the makeshift back 3 setups have been quite alright so...well that's a problem for December anyway.