IGNORED

Watford at home match thread

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Why didn’t Watford turn up today and why didn’t Sheffield United turn up,are you for real or just not willing to give city any credit 

A draw is a good result against the opposition. 

But when we control the possession as we did, I'd like to see us create more. 

There were a couple of decent chances, but we have to do more to win these games. 

Look at where we are in the table. Some fans are celebrating a draw today. It's a game we should have won. 

There's definitely positives to take:

- clean sheet

- nullified Watford's threats

- We dictated the tempo

But overall, it's wins that we need and I feel that we didn't really make their defence work too much. 

3 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

So two chances then...

If your happy with what you saw then great. 

My opinion is that we have to find a way to turn these matches into wins or we may be in trouble at the end of the season. 

Watford didn't turn up at all today. It was an opportunity we didn't take, as has been the story on a couple of occasions previously.

The draw can be seen as a positive, especially following on from some poor form.

I'd just like to see us throw the kitchen sink at teams to try and get the win. 

Go through their side, full of quality players at this level who are a level above our lot man for man. They turned up, we just didn’t ALLOW them to play. If you can’t give credit for that……..

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
Just now, Bazooka Joe said:

Surprised, but really pleased that we didn't lose or, even worse, lose heavily.

Mediocre game, but good to see players working hard and battling.

A clean sheet against Watford is admirable and a bonus, but maybe like Sheff U, they have been over-hyped.

Maybe they have been overhyped but regarding both squads we are not in the same league and yet a weaker side in the cup causes a meltdown on here 

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

That should stop some of the bed wetting. Very good performance, good performance and shows the players are very much battling for Pearson 

Exactly this.

I thought according to all the experts on here that Keinan Davis was going to give King a hard time!? King didn’t break sweat did he!?

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

So two chances then...

If your happy with what you saw then great. 

My opinion is that we have to find a way to turn these matches into wins or we may be in trouble at the end of the season. 

Watford didn't turn up at all today. It was an opportunity we didn't take, as has been the story on a couple of occasions previously.

The draw can be seen as a positive, especially following on from some poor form.

I'd just like to see us throw the kitchen sink at teams to try and get the win. 

Watford didn’t turn up or we didn’t allow them to play with out intensity? The fact you phrase it as you do says a lot. We had more than two chances. I just named the two best. Watford had one shot all game. Good performance from us 

• Like 10
1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

The Wells pen was stonewall tbh. Committed performance, should have taken all three today but defensively the standard has been set today against a side who will be right up there. Can’t fault the effort or the performance today.

Think nige got what he asked for and the players he trusts gave him a committed performance well done and Andy King did better than I was expecting so good solid point.

2 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

There were a couple of decent chances, but we have to do more to win these games.

This is exactly the reason that...

2 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

It's a game we should have won. 

Bit more edge final third and we do them good and proper today.

• Like 1
Just now, Numero Uno said:

Go through their side, full of quality players at this level who are a level above our lot man for man. They turned up, we just didn’t ALLOW them to play. If you can’t give credit for that……..

I think the point I'm trying to make isn't clear, and is being misunderstood.

We were the better team today, there's no denying that. We controlled the tempo, and won the ball back in key area's, the defence did a great job of keeping their attack quiet for the full 90 minutes. 

However, I feel we should have put their defence under more pressure, as the game was there to be won. That's where my frustration lies. 

It was a performance that SHOULD have won the game, but overall we didn't create enough to do so. 

7 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

A draw is a good result against the opposition. 

But when we control the possession as we did, I'd like to see us create more. 

Look at where we are in the table. Some fans are celebrating a draw today. It's a game we should have won. 

There's definitely positives to take:

- clean sheet

- nullified Watford's threats

- We dictated the tempo

But overall, it's wins that we need and I feel that we didn't really make their defence work too much. 

A more proven striker sticks it in the net granted but that’s where we are and that’s not a dig at Conway but he’s the best we got and is doing a fine job but he’s still young and is expected to play every game where other clubs will be able to give him a break 

5 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

We were the better team today, there's no denying that. We controlled the tempo, and won the ball back in key area's, the defence did a great job of keeping their attack quiet for the full 90 minutes. 

However, I feel we should have put their defence under more pressure, as the game was there to be won. That's where my frustration lies. 

It was a performance that SHOULD have won the game, but overall we didn't create enough to do so. 

And you are right that as good as a 0-0 against 5th is, there is also room for improvement and we were far from perfect. 

I just think that the context of our season so far elevates that performance and result above the normal and makes it a good day. 

But yes, had we been a little more decisive in the final third we could have taken all 3 points today. That's fair.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Watford didn’t turn up or we didn’t allow them to play with out intensity? The fact you phrase it as you do says a lot. We had more than two chances. I just named the two best. Watford had one shot all game. Good performance from us 

See my response to another poster below, as I don't feel I've made my point well:

Just now, AshtonRobin21 said:

I'm not saying it wasn't a good performance, rather that it's an opportunity missed to win the game. 

We did most things right today, but we certainly didn't create enough.

When I was questioning if anyone was genuinely happy, I felt as though we should have thrown more at them to win the game. 

The bright side is a draw and a clean sheet. 

10 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Maybe someone in the club would like to spend an hour or two over the next few weeks compiling highlights of our penalty shouts over the last year. Unbelievable that none have been given

Was thinking the same. It is increasingly inexplicable from any objective perspective.

I would do as you suggest, present a detailed analysis to PGMOL and demand a face to face meeting in which they can explain why they think so many penalties have been denied.

I steer clear of conspiracy thinking but it is getting harder and harder to think of an explanation.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

A more proven striker sticks it in the net granted but that’s where we are and that’s not a dig at Conway but he’s the best we got and is doing a fine job but he’s still young and is expected to play every game where other clubs will be able to give him a break 

Absolutely, and that's where are limits lie currently. 

We don't create a huge number of chances, so rely on our strikers being clinical enough to take the 1 or 2 chances we do create each game. 

Unfortunately, today we didn't. And that's where the frustration lies. 

When we controlled the ball as much as we did, I felt we could have thrown more at them to try and win the game.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s awful tbh,if people can’t see we were far the better team today then its almost unbelievable but it wouldn’t surprise me with some on here 

I think today saying Watford were awful is fair. Idk if I have seen a side that poor this season. Sheffield United and Swansea we outplayed good sides. 

Today was good. Our 2 best strikers. Our 3 best midfielders. Weimann who can’t have the same role as last season is a better rwb than Sykes. Dasilva good player. I really love Pring and Vyner and their commitment. Can debate Kalas and Atkinson coming back but those 2 have played very well. King didn’t have much to do but battled hard. 

I think this is my gripe about city. I don’t think there is a reason we can’t perform like today more regularly. If Watford had ended up with a late winner you don’t get angry just unlucky because the performance was solid. Today, Sheffield United and Swansea we were better than sides casuals would say are better than us. That is without Atkinson and Kalas who would probably be in our best XI on paper and an out of form Semenyo. 

I can’t argue we aren’t as deep as some sides or we don’t have the money of some sides. That is fine but we have plenty of good players and good young players to supplement them for performances of this quality more often. The league is open so lets fight to be as close to the top for as long as possible. It sends a message that might make players keen to stay another season or prospective players want to join. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

We should of had at least 2 or 3 but for bad finishes and a quality save,think you are being over critical for no reason here mate