IGNORED

Watford at home match thread

41 minutes ago, Offside said:

Really good performance. I had my doubts when I saw the starting eleven, mainly about King being CB, but he had a good game and marshalled the defence well. Conway was excellent and we were less effective when he was subbed. Overall we were the better side and deserved to win. 

After King's performance at CB today. maybe Southgate is regretting already having named his central defenders for Qatar. ?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

The overall result will be a big positive. 

I think we've controlled the game well and nullified Watford's attack. 

But we need to do more to turn these types of games into wins. That will be the difference at the end of the season. 

I don't think we've been a threat today. 

To be fair we should of had two penalties. Not just possible pens but nailed on . Keeper pulled of a hell of a save from Andi. Final ball at times I agree , twice Tommy should of played wells in on goal but both times they were poor balls . 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Conway just wide, Weimann header and two penalties.  You see what you want though 

Agree we had some reasonable chances.

Also worth considering the ratio of our chances to Watford's - You can get away with creating a bit less if you don't allow the opposition to create anything at all (as was the case today).

Play like that and you'll win a lot of your games 1-0, and draw the rest 0-0.

Some stats from today:

xG: 1.15 vs 0.07

Shots: 9 vs 2

Shots on Target: 2 vs 0

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Spike said:

Why is there a huge hole behind our two strikers!? Scott should be there, so frustrating that he finally gets a game where he can play there and he's moving about too much and leaving a hole in the middle where he should be offering and causing problems.

That isn’t how we set up today…and I think it benefitted us (and will do against the better teams who can pass it to makes us chase the ball).

James the more disciplined, central in the main, Scott and Williams more no8’s….but both were very fluid, with responsibility to pick up Choudhury w/o the ball…although starting positions Scott left of James, Williams right.

20482074-25C8-49FB-81D6-16F4CD547A25.jpeg

31810E5B-1F23-426F-8D92-019D6CFED911.jpeg

CB4FCFBF-2108-4E45-A9CF-E1389CBAB619.jpeg

• Like 1

Haven't read this thread but just thought that was the best defensive display I've seen from us for a long time. Defending from the front. Always closing down and getting tight. It was the first time this season I've been really impressed with Williams and he made a huge difference to our solidity.

The back three were outstanding.

You can see our attackers are still out of sorts though.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Not doubting we've been the better team. It's been the story on a few occasions this season. 

But we've also been saying "results will come" for a while. 

We've controlled the game, without looking a threat in my opinion. 

It's a very dull game. 

I really enjoyed it.  Went into the game quite fearful of a bad result.  Nige picked predominantly his “best” players, even playing Andi out of his best position, and we controlled a game against a top 5 team.  That gives me a lot of encouragement and shows with the majority of our best (fit) players on the pitch, even out of position, it’s ability and nous that will move us away from trouble.  We should’ve had a penalty (high kick on Wells), Conway got into good positions too.  Lots of physicality and tackles going in, winning the 45:55s too.

4 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Clean sheet, played well. Should have won, but if you can’t win don’t lose.

Yep, 2 points from games where a lot of fans saw 2 defeats.  A bit of mental resilience from these 2 league games.  Lincoln was a mixed line-up that played poorly in the opening 45, that’s all.

4 hours ago, cityexile said:

Last 4 league games we have against Swansea, Sheff Utd, Boro and today conceded 1-1-1-0. Got a reaction today and deserved to win.

Suddenly the issue is scoring goals. Created enough in most of those matches to pick up more than 3 points. Not actually looking like a bottom three side and NP did get a reaction. Just need to score some goals is all.

Max now 8 games, 8 conceded, 2 clean sheets.  No save to make either.

Was it windy at pitch level…his kicks seemed 25 yards shorter second half?  Distribution good first half, a bit “slicy” second half.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Exactly this.

I thought according to all the experts on here that Keinan Davis was going to give King a hard time!? King didn’t break sweat did he!?

Without belittling King’s performance, James as a screen was so good today (we’ve been crying out fir that type of performance as a CM / DM.  They barely got a ground pass into Davis today.  And once Pring won that tackle on Sema as he cut infield off the right wing, their attack appeared toothless.

• Like 1