IGNORED

Lee Johnson

On 24/01/2023 at 14:51, Robbored said:

No doubt that Tomlin could be awkward to manage but other managers coped pretty well with him. I don’t think that he was the real problem behind LJs failure to achieve anything at City, the issues were much deeper than just one difficult player.

Who actually coped well with him?

interesting words here from LJ reflecting on his January transfer window..

I think it’s been a brilliant window in terms of the outs, because we had to do that,” Johnson says. “You have to remember it’s about the facilities. At some clubs, say Bristol City, there are two facilities there so if a player is not wanted, or not getting gametime, or bringing the culture down then you move them to the other facility and protect the culture. I have worked really hard to protect the culture here between ten and two o’clock, and put the discipline in place and have a different training group on at 3pm so if anybody is causing problems or is not fully focused they can be moved. That 3pm group is also for development so we can improve the young players technically as they are coming up from the academy, and that has been really important. In the last four or five weeks there’s no doubt I’ve noticed the change in the malaise that is sometimes around this place.

5 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Good idea that. Putting people he deems to have bad habits with youngsters he wants to improve technically, be giving out detentions or lines next

Looks to me he is saying exactly the opposite, but you can interpret it negatively if you are so inclined.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FNQ said:

I think it’s been a brilliant window in terms of the outs, because we had to do that,” Johnson says. “You have to remember it’s about the facilities. At some clubs, say Bristol City, there are two facilities there so if a player is not wanted, or not getting gametime, or bringing the culture down then you move them to the other facility and protect the culture. I have worked really hard to protect the culture here between ten and two o’clock, and put the discipline in place and have a different training group on at 3pm so if anybody is causing problems or is not fully focused they can be moved. That 3pm group is also for development so we can improve the young players technically as they are coming up from the academy, and that has been really important. In the last four or five weeks there’s no doubt I’ve noticed the change in the malaise that is sometimes around this place.

image.thumb.png.097c9dc8d137c301617c15bd929cb4cb.png

Just now, downendcity said:

image.thumb.png.097c9dc8d137c301617c15bd929cb4cb.png

It's incredible. When he was here, one of the criticisms of him was that he didn't have the authority to control players. People were suggesting older mentors, DOFs and all sorts. 

Any suggestion that he is getting tough with malingerers and he is accused of putting people on the naughty step.

The thing about discipline is the same in all walks of life, as much as people dislike it, they also don't like it when they are working hard and some of their colleagues are taking the piss. 

I am pretty sure that most Managers who lose a dressing room, do so because they let some players get away with murder.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Looks to me he is saying exactly the opposite, but you can interpret it negatively if you are so inclined.

That doesn't surprise me.if your making senior pros train with the kids, one's you don't trust incidentally, I fail to see the postive side from any angle bare in mind the windows just shut, bet there's enough for a game of six a side from senior pros at these no doubt popular three o clock sessions.

10 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

That doesn't surprise me.if your making senior pros train with the kids, one's you don't trust incidentally, I fail to see the postive side from any angle bare in mind the windows just shut, bet there's enough for a game of six a side from senior pros at these no doubt popular three o clock sessions.

But he hasn't said that, he has a group between 10 and 2 that he just tries to keep in a strict routine, than has the ones he really wants to work with at 3pm in a group he supplements with the youth team. 

I can also tell you that our senior pros love having the kids coming into sessions with them.

6 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

They got thrashed by hearts days ago change of malasie! Pull the other one

And beat Aberdeen 6-0 after, which you have decided not to mention as it doesn't suit your agenda.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, FNQ said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

9 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

That was how I read it too.  That sounds bonkers. @Port Said Red are you saying it’s the other way around?

• Like 1

In reality, is LJ saying anything different here to what has happened in football for years? The number of times I’ve heard an unwanted/unruly player has been told to “train with the stiffs/youths” is untold. Managers from Ferguson to Warnock have done it, all LJ has done is coloured it in a different hue in his verbose way.

There is literally nothing to see here. I like LJ - but using this as either a method of him innovating or a stick to beat him with is wide of the mark on this one.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ta, I didn’t read it like that.

So, the bad eggs are on 10-2 on their own, and the good eggs plus the youth / developers come in at 3?  Yes?

Maybe, I think it's more that the main group all train together 10-2 but with a very disciplined approach to ensure there is no messing about or shirking. Then at 3 he brings his core players together with the Unders, and works on tactics and technicals.

Like he said, he doesn't have the luxury of sending the bad eggs off to a different area, and as you and @Oh Louie louie have rightly pointed out, letting them mix with the kids would be detrimental all round. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FNQ said:

Not a clue!!! So what he does is create and intensify a negative sub culture whist promoting a separate "yes men group"... Sounds like he bases his style on the Chinese re-education programme.... Organisational culture development is gained through cohesive ethos and expectation expressed via effective and justified communication. Little Lee loves the culture of the Hero Leader...because anything else is probably beyond his range of experience (look unto the Father my son) and intellectual ability...observing training with the military was probably wasted on him once he got past the parade ground.... 

1 minute ago, adamski said:

Not a clue!!! So what he does is create and intensify a negative sub culture whist promoting a separate "yes men group"... Sounds like he bases his style on the Chinese re-education programme.... Organisational culture development is gained through cohesive ethos and expectation expressed via effective and justified communication. Little Lee loves the culture of the Hero Leader...because anything else is probably beyond his range of experience (look unto the Father my son) and intellectual ability...observing training with the military was probably wasted on him once he got past the parade ground.... 

How do you think other Managers go about it, when they come to a club with players who only do what they want and create a bad atmosphere everywhere?

They either try to get them back on side, isolate them or ship them out. From what I have read on their forum, he spent the first third of the season playing the same old faces, then when that didn't get them on side, he dropped them and introduced some of the others. In the January window he has apparently done well to ship some of those out, but like all clubs, he probably hasn't got rid of them all, so it's a case of just having to manage them away from the core group.

It's not radically different to what Pearson has done here over the past two years.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2023 at 10:06, TonyTonyTony said:

He is marmite, that's for sure. Personally don't get the hatred some seem to have for him. People forget he is still quite young, and probably struggles with the man-management side of the game. Comments from players seem to support that. Once he has a few more years experience he may well turn out to be a good manager. He certainly has confidence in himself

He is 41 with ten years in management. He'll never be better than a National League manager, just like his father!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Anybody knows the biggest insult in football is to Train with the kids. I'm sure the city players do enjoy working with the kids port, but they ain't being painted as wrong uns and doing three o clock sessions I'd wager

Yes and when I read that, I immediately thought Lee Tomlin.

If his attitude was really as bad as was reported, you definitely wouldn’t want that example being shown to your younger players

Senior pros like King, Klose etc would be great role models for younger players, but to to expose them to the more troublesome members of the squad sounds a very odd way of working to me.

The best youth players are more than likely training with the 1st team or out on loan, so the group the 'bad eggs' are with probably aren't going to make it at the club anyway. Lets not pretend its just LJ who does this, it happens regularly at most clubs.

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

The best youth players are more than likely training with the 1st team or out on loan, so the group the 'bad eggs' are with probably aren't going to make it at the club anyway. Lets not pretend its just LJ who does this, it happens regularly at most clubs.

Exactly - isn't this pretty much exactly what Pearson did with Marley Watkins? (and the rest!)

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1