IGNORED

Lee Johnson

24 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I think changing the policy from signing young hungry players to attempting to go for it a bit, is where we went wrong.

We sold Flint Bryan and Reid the same summer and started signing slightly older players on high wages - that was a mistake IMO

Was that the summer when LJ was coming out with quotes saying he needs backing to take us to the next level?

• Like 1

Losing Josh Brownhill in that January window killed off LJ. Selling off his best players every year combined with poor recruitment would kill any manager, particularly in the Championship where there is a massive gap in finances from the haves (parachute payment receivers) and the have nots. 

Edit: **** it. I can’t help it.

Already showing signs of this…

Every successful incoming/outgoing: Well done LJ - absolute masterclass.

Every unsuccessful incoming/outgoing: Dam you Ashton. Horrible toad. 

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

Just now, Fordy62 said:

Well I give credit to both for the first half of their stint.

And think they are both at fault for how it downhill south after.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Edit: **** it. I can’t help it.

Of course that’s ridiculous. (Not that I’m aware of anyone on here who holds quite such an extreme view).

It’s just as ridiculous as “LJ was a complete disaster and never did anything good in his whole time with us”. (Of which there are one or two!)

LJ had his strengths and his weaknesses. He gave us good times as well as bad. Just like any manager has.

Ashton had his strengths too: he was more adept at cashing in on our assets than anyone else I can remember. (Although he was a horrible toad too!)

But (my view) the dynamics have to work, the competing objectives have to work, and for their last year or two together (Johnson and Ashton) they didn’t. And SL didn’t seem to be able to sort that out and (for example) be clear that ultimately LJs footballing objectives had to take priority over the financial objectives.

LJ once talked about writing a book one day about what was going on behind the scenes - and there was lots of speculation about what he meant. My money is that much of it was about that conflict. 

• Like 5

One of the main downfalls of LJ/MA as a pair was that they had different attitudes to signing players, LJ naturally wanted players that would get us to the play offs, MA wanted players we could sell for profit and therefore they’re never truly aligned in their aims, it caused us to sign too many players Szmodics, Eisa etc where LJ never truly wanted them but still meant we had to sign more for the ones who he did want. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, italian dave said:

But (my view) the dynamics have to work, the competing objectives have to work, and for their last year or two together (Johnson and Ashton) they didn’t. And SL didn’t seem to be able to sort that out and (for example) be clear that ultimately LJs footballing objectives had to take priority over the financial objectives.

LJ once talked about writing a book one day about what was going on behind the scenes - and there was lots of speculation about what he meant. My money is that much of it was about that conflict. 

Lot of sense in that ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Lost 2-1 today to an Andorran side in the preliminary round of the Europa Conference league.

Firstly I can never recall a side from Andorra winning any game in Europe & secondly their subs included Jojo Wollacott (who will get his chance soon based on the error made by their keeper) & Jamie McAllister’s son.

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Hibernian have just lost their ECL qualifier to a team from Andorra. Some Hibs fans on Twitter saying it’s the worst result in their modern history. Do a good thing, followed up something terrible, seems to sum up LJ’s managerial career. 

Second leg to come. My man’s got this 

• Haha 1

My bet there wasn’t enough box entries or some other bollocks or lack off.

A smug charlatan imho.I did enjoy the Man Utd game as I did the Liverpool fa cup games with Osman.

He should be an youth coach where some kids might believe his shite.Either that or sell used cars or double glazing.Absolute **** with the money he had and wasted at our club.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Lost 2-1 today to an Andorran side in the preliminary round of the Europa Conference league.

Firstly I can never recall a side from Andorra winning any game in Europe & secondly their subs included Jojo Wollacott (who will get his chance soon based on the error made by their keeper) & Jamie McAllister’s son.

I watched it. Small ground - one stand - had the air of a preseason match. Hibs had been training in Spain. Maybe we're spoiled but the quality was nothing like what we see in the the preseason highlights, players struggling to pick a pass. The main Hibs threat was coming from their continually used right back's long throw. You'd never have known that one of the managers was one of the up and coming coaching geniuses - and if you were told you'd never have guessed he was managing Hibs!

He's been sussed though - from their forum: 'will still be grinning from ear to ear giving his post match interviews where he will blame everything and everybody other than himself.'  

Edited by Red Exile
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Hibernian have just lost their ECL qualifier to a team from Andorra. Some Hibs fans on Twitter saying it’s the worst result in their modern history. Do a good thing, followed up something terrible, seems to sum up LJ’s managerial career. 

It was only the first leg, and only by the odd goal. They need to calm down a bit.

4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

There’s certainly no denying how obsessed with LJ some City fans are.

No fewer than three of the top 7 threads on our football forum at the moment are talking about a manager who left us more than three years ago.

I wouldn't say it was an obsession, but rather the satisfaction that comes with being able to say 'told you'. ? More seriously - in modern times he was a hugely consequential Bristol City manager, given the keys to the kingdom, always a divisive appointment, wasn't up to the job but was given what seemed like an age to prove himself, squandered the opportunity, left us in a mess.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2