IGNORED

Lee Johnson

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

What a way to mark your 500th game in charge 

But this charlatan will no doubt thrive on the extra publicity from playing against Villa in these two games 

We've always known how far behind Scottish football is but this just emphasises even more 

20230823_192750.jpg

Jealousy is ugly

• Haha 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

The same Villa that got destroyed at Newcastle. Not knocking them but we looked decent when we were smashing League 1 and 2 sides a few weeks ago.

Ironically SAF described Villa as the best side he saw that weekend. 

The scoreline was a freak scoreline 

41 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Villa changing the keeper at half time likes it's a pre season friendly, rubbing salt into the wounds.

He got a knock in the first half and taken off as a precaution. 

Olsen is one of the worst keepers in the Premier League so any bonus minutes for him is a good thing for Villa 

1 minute ago, grifty said:

Jealousy is ugly

So is burying your head and in the sand 

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

The same Villa that got destroyed at Newcastle. Not knocking them but we looked decent when we were smashing League 1 and 2 sides a few weeks ago.

No the same Villa that put 4 past England's No1 goalkeeper. Villa are a good team under Unai Emery and I expect them to finish Top 6

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, phantom said:

What a way to mark your 500th game in charge 

But this charlatan will no doubt thrive on the extra publicity from playing against Villa in these two games 

We've always known how far behind Scottish football is but this just emphasises even more 

20230823_192750.jpg

5 0 I reckon is the perfect way to mark it!

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

No the same Villa that put 4 past England's No1 goalkeeper. Villa are a good team under Unai Emery and I expect them to finish Top 6

They are a good team but the point is they really ought to look good against Hibernian who are let's face it, pretty crap and basically allowed Villa's Left Back to literally do what he wanted..........and as the goals were pouring in still kept allowing him to do it. I would have expected a tactical exponent of the game to do something about that tbh.

Some context. 

Last season. Rangers 1 Liverpool 7. 

Rangers finished 40 points above Hibs. 
Liverpool finished 6 points above Villa. 

Lee Johnson certainly has a number of faults, but I don’t think he’s to blame for the gulf between the SPL and the EPL. 

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting.

I didn’t watch the game, but I caught this from SAF.

Emery’s record in European competition is nothing short of remarkable, particularly in the Europa League with Sevilla, who weren’t even the 3rd or 4th best team in Spain at the time. I would suggest that Villa are potentially favourites for winning the Europa Conference this year.

As for LJ, it seems he will have to reflect that the “Papa John’s Cup” is more his level of competition. And even then he was lucky to win that!

• Like 1

Notwithstanding the fact it's Villa who are very, very good. Scottish clubs including Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen have an absolutely hopeless record over the years of qualifying for the first round/group stages proper of European competitions. 

For such a well-supported league (and in terms of % of supporters versus country population, Scottish football is very well supported) there has not been much to shout about at all over the past few decades. 

Only Rangers have been in a couple of European finals, I think? 

The rest consistently get knocked out early doors by absolute dross from the likes of Romania, Moldova, and Hungary.

• Like 2

I know it's fun to bait the Scots and for many on here LJ, more so now that he's managing a Scottish team, but tonight's result is in no way remarkable. Given Emery's abilities to get results out of his sides in European competition the only remarkable result would have been a win or draw by Hibs. In fact given that Scotland is a nation of only 5.5million people, a fraction of which are registered footballers, any result by a Scottish team in European competition is remarkable. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Notwithstanding the fact it's Villa who are very, very good. Scottish clubs including Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen have an absolutely hopeless record over the years of qualifying for the first round/group stages proper of European competitions. 

Hearts & Aberdeen play tonight.

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Unfortunately LJ was given all of Lansdown's money to spend which has set us back years.

Felt very tinpot with him as Manager, and dare I say it, even his Dad as Manager.

Agreed, unbelievably there are still plenty of Happy Clappers on here who think Lee Johnson did a good job at Bristol City as coach -  FFS!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Agreed, unbelievably there are still plenty of Happy Clappers on here who think Lee Johnson did a good job at Bristol City as coach -  FFS!

That's fine if they think that. If you're happy to just watch City to get results only, with not much entertainment then that's ok.
However, I go to be somewhat entertained and encouraged by what I see on the pitch, if that means we don't win every game that's ok. There was many times I left AG bored out my brains with him in charge. Yes some will point to the League Cup season, but that lasted for about 6 months over his 4 year reign. 

Those who like putting up with a backs against the wall display every week will likely have enjoyed LJs reign. I just think for the money spent the product on display was not at all entertaining.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2015 said:

That's fine if they think that. If you're happy to just watch City to get results only, with not much entertainment then that's ok.
However, I go to be somewhat entertained and encouraged by what I see on the pitch, if that means we don't win every game that's ok. There was many times I left AG bored out my brains with him in charge. Yes some will point to the League Cup season, but that lasted for about 6 months over his 4 year reign. 

Those who like putting up with a backs against the wall display every week will likely have enjoyed LJs reign. I just think for the money spent the product on display was not at all entertaining.

Out of interest what have you seen in the Birmingham performance, or the last 10 or so games of last season, that is emphatically different/better than under LJ?

Any measure will do. Style of play/vibes/possession/shots on goal/passes completed/xG?

Interested to know why you were bored out of your mind under LJ, but a shot on target per game so far this season is entertaining?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Out of interest what have you seen in the Birmingham performance, or the last 10 or so games of last season, that is emphatically different/better than under LJ?

Any measure will do. Style of play/vibes/possession/shots on goal/passes completed/xG?

Interested to know why you were bored out of your mind under LJ, but a shot on target per game so far this season is entertaining?

Yeah, Saturday and the last 10 games of last season have been poor and I actually said on here the other day that Saturday reminded me of the LJ era in terms of how we performed. 

I thought we showed great progress last season up until March/April in terms of how we were playing, aside from the odd game. Players like Pring, Vyner, Scott, Tanner and O'Leary were improving hugely throughout the season. 

Admittedly, we have regressed in the last 10 matches and I agree it has been as boring as it was under LJ at times.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That a big generalisation.  In what way are you suggesting the end of last season was poor?  Odd games, all of them?

Yeah you're right, not all of them. I thought we were very good against QPR and Middlesbrough. Unlucky vs Watford, Reading and Sheffield United.

• Like 4

Thought 2nd half v Burnley we more than matched them too, not saying they didn't deserve the win overall but for one error from the least expected source it may well have been a draw.

Stoke away was fine, nothing special but we won and played fine. Weimann had a goal disallowed for no particular reason as the sun blanked it out!

Rotherham we won, nothing special but good possession and their penalty never was.

Luton and Swansea certainly poor but good penalty about on Sykes at 1-0, denied.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous