IGNORED

Lee Johnson

7 hours ago, petehinton said:

Would be amazed if he takes another domestic job next. Can see him going abroad. Don’t think many L1 clubs would take a chance on him, the ones he would want anyway. 

Penny for Reuben McAllister’s thoughts too….risky/silly career choice. 

Must admit I always expected him to go abroad after he left City.
Although maybe covid had something to do with that not happening. 

On 14/11/2022 at 17:08, The Coach said:

I said last year or year before last. He’ll end up being head coach at Yeovil Town some point one day soon. I still think that’ll be the case. 

Called it almost a year ago. Can see this happening now. He won’t get another football league job. 

2 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Oh, the age-old puzzle of Mark Ashton or Lee Johnson - a real head-scratcher, that. Back in the day, fans were positively buzzing with the signings, oh, the signings! The resounding cheer for Kalas, the ever-so-insistent calls for Palmer, the electric anticipation for Jay DaSilva, and the delightful introduction of Han-Noah. Ah yes, the Webster stroke of genius that yielded a princely sum of £20 million, and the golden boy Tammy. Let's not forget, Johnson certainly had his slip-ups, but credit where it's due - he wasn't all mishaps and mayhem. A loyal player in a grand era, yet Pearson is exalted like football's benevolent overlord.

Now, let's not rush to anoint Pearson as the messiah of management just yet. Despite his court of 24 signings, the on-field ballet hasn't exactly morphed into a mesmerising spectacle. And dare we mention the subtle art of playing players out of position, or signing a player only to confine them to the bench? Ah, the selective amnesia, it's truly an art form.

While I'm no Lee Johnson enthusiast, the stark contrast in treatment simply because he didn't quite fit the face mould is, well, a tad intriguing, wouldn't you say?

Johnson was appointed at an opportune time.

By which I mean revenues rising, the wider transfer market fairly buoyant, the revenue was on the rise gates, commercial etc. He benefited from this, Cotts had he shown 6 months more patience might also have but that's another argument.

He sold a host of key players but was backed quite handsomely, both in terms of fees and wages.

NP came in during Covid, during a terrible injury crisis, with morale on the floor and averaging at best 1 shot on target, a distinct lack of possession and conceding plenty of goals and chances.

He also had to tackle headlong a Covid hit market..with the FFP walls closing in by summer 2022. While maintaining our status on the pitch and having to trust youth. Both new youth and bringing back players deemed not good enough ie O'Leary and Vyner, plus finally giving Pring a proper go. Him and Gould both deserve tons of credit. Tinnion and the academy too.

He also was pretty much unable to spend a fee for 3 Windows such was our FFP position. January 2022, Klose on a free, summer 2022 Bajic, Wilson, Naismith, Sykes. Bamba on a free in September 2022 seemed to be beyond us. Loanees? That's a laugh! Baker had to retire injured, that was yet another blow.

Not until Semenyo was sold were we able to breathe a little. A Semenyo who was bang in form, squad thins out further..Halkin, Cornick, Mehemti in- Bentley, Klose, Massengo, Martin out plus Semenyo of course.

Underlying numbers improved year on year, style of play has improved year on year.

Shall I go on...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

No shock Holden has been given the boot. His record there is pretty abysmal. 

Be amazed if he gets another manager gig now. Clearly a great coach but seemingly lacking the discipline and authority, if his time here is anything to go off. 

I think that's right. 

He just doesn't have the presence about him to be a Number One imo. 

Shame. Because his heart is in the right place and I would still have him back over his predecessor.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Be amazed if he gets another manager gig now. Clearly a great coach but seemingly lacking the discipline and authority, if his time here is anything to go off. 

It’s like we impacted his career making him Head Coach. Some people are just number two’s. 

8 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Holdens/Johnson's  reigns really havent aged well given how long it's taken to recover!

not suprised they are both going to struggle to get a job soon-very poor appointments by Ashton/SL

Holden didn't have a huge chance. Not a great appointment but behind closed doors, ridiculous injuries and not the role for an inexperienced manager.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Good. Unforgivable losing to those pricks from North of the river in the 98th sodding minute. 

• Like 1