IGNORED

Lee Johnson

6 minutes ago, JAWS said:

No promotions either in over 10 years! Can't think of many managers who have not managed a promotion in such a period but are still in a job? 

Oh there must be loads, promotions are quite rare and there are a lot of clubs who don't really expect more than survival season on season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I thought the financial situation at Fleetwood had markedly changed since their former owner went to prison?

In terms of size of football club I’d argue that the disparity between Sunderland & Fleetwood & us & Watford was considerably different.

But since when does the size of the club come into it? 
Rochdale are probably a bigger size of club than Fleetwood. But they’re 2 divisions lower. 
Sunderland were in L1 when LJ left. Fleetwood are in L1 now. So no difference in the level. 
Watford were Premier League. Bristol City a division below. 
The disparity between Prem and Champ is as big a gap financially that you can get. 

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Edited by Harry

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fleetwood 2021 £6.2m - they now report as a small business so don’t quote wages anymore

Hibs 2022 £8.2m

(from Companies House)

No idea what the playing budgets might be though.

Exactly mate. Not much difference in it at all. 
Fans of Scottish premier league clubs outside of Rangers & Celtic would do well to remember this. 
Basically Hibs are pretty much on the same / similar financial footing as Fleetwood. 

Edited by Harry

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly mate. Not much difference in it at all. 
Fans of Scottish premier league clubs outside of Rangers & Celtic would do well to remember this. 
Basically Hibs are pretty much on the same / similar financial footing as Fleetwood. 

Recently got told a mid table SPL team recruits to £1700 a week limit, lower mid table L2 clubs can go £2000 at least

• Like 2

I’m not surprised at all he’s got a L1 job.

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

What do their radars look like?

Not a clue.

Got some reasonable players though, if a bit top heavy in forward positions.

I think the good thing is he’s got to work with what he’s got til January, rely on coaching and tactics.

The data says they are a mixed side with the ball, a bit cold in attack, and concede too many goals and chances from open play.

Just now, Lrrr said:

Recently got told a mid table SPL team recruits to £1700 a week limit, lower mid table L2 clubs can go £2000 at least

Think the big non-Glasgow teams, therefore Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen will be paying a bit more than that in the £3-4k p.w average (flex either side of course).

• Like 1

The same irritations Hibs fans mention, especially the Brentisms, easily come to mind at the forefront of memories of LJ's tenure here and do cloud some of the better moments. Even accounting for the amount of money spent at times there were some good times, and as others have said he's been a mixed bag at pretty much every club he was at aside from Oldham (good) and Hibs (bad).

I feel like he's always going to be like that, because the trends across his management career are pretty consistent. The buzzwords have been there since day one and there's an interesting video on the Coach's Voice website where LJ runs through some of his video coaching sessions, and it's absolutely full of them. The analysis he does clearly very thought-out and intricate, but you don't need to be a pro footballer to see how easily anyone would be blinded by the science and turned off by it.

The other thing is his reaction under pressure, which seems to underpin the streaks he's gone on. We saw it at City that he'd fumble around in the dark when results began to turn, and rip everything up and start from scratch, really undermining his own philosophies in the process. Hearing what others have said from Hibs fans it sounds like nothing has changed on that front, and he can't expect to find more consistency in his teams' results before it does.

Edited by Ron W
  • Like 4

Just now, Davefevs said:

Think the big non-Glasgow teams, therefore Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen will be paying a bit more than that in the £3-4k p.w average (flex either side of course).

Yeah drifted off Lee slightly and could have expanded, was more a case of saying wider SPL and where they sit, if thats mid the yeah L1 would be a direct rival finances wise for the bigger non Glasgow clubs, even top end league 2. Wrexham, Notts County, Stockport, Gillingham will definitely be paying above that, Salford, Mansfield etc probably in ball park

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Yeah drifted off Lee slightly and could have expanded, was more a case of saying wider SPL and where they sit, if thats mid the yeah L1 would be a direct rival finances wise for the bigger non Glasgow clubs, even top end league 2. Wrexham, Notts County, Stockport, Gillingham will definitely be paying above that, Salford, Mansfield etc probably in ball park

What I’d say is, I think it would be easier to persuade a decent league 2 player to go to Fleetwood on £2k pw than it would to get them up to Hibs on £1.5k pw. 

Which I think gives LJ a decent crack of the whip at it. I think the big challenge in the SPL (outside of the old firm) is getting decent enough lads from the EFL up there. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Harry said:

Pearson went from Premier League Watford to struggling Championship club Bristol City within 7 months. 

One point to note - Fleetwood probably have a bigger wage budget than Hibs. Perspective 

Come on now….even the most staunch lover of Fleetwood knows that the size of the club isn’t even in the same stratosphere as Sunderland or Hibs. The drop from keeping Watford in the prem on a short deal to taking us on as a project isn’t a comparable one either. 

I’m really shocked if he does actually take this job. Would need to do a truly outstanding job to get himself back in the frame for a big L1/champ job again. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

What I’d say is, I think it would be easier to persuade a decent league 2 player to go to Fleetwood on £2k pw than it would to get them up to Hibs on £1.5k pw. 

Which I think gives LJ a decent crack of the whip at it. I think the big challenge in the SPL (outside of the old firm) is getting decent enough lads from the EFL up there. 

My money is on this fella being the first signing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_McAllister

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Edinburgh ain’t cheap either.

• Thanks 1

Contrary to popular belief I don’t hate Lee Johnson. I don’t rate him particularly as a coach, but I’ve nothing against him personally. 

What genuinely angers me is Lansdown’s nepotism. He had proven managers who deserved, and currently deserve the financial backing that LJ had, much more so than LJ did. 

Lansdown deserves every single pound of the losses that MA and LJ caused us. He thought he could allow LJ to buy success. He backed the wrong horse. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

18 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Contrary to popular belief I don’t hate Lee Johnson. I don’t rate him particularly as a coach, but I’ve nothing against him personally. 

What genuinely angers me is Lansdown’s nepotism. He had proven managers who deserved, and currently deserve the financial backing that LJ had, much more so than LJ did. 

Lansdown deserves every single pound of the losses that MA and LJ caused us. He thought he could allow LJ to buy success. He backed the wrong horse. 

I’m not sure you’ve mentioned this before ?

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Come on now….even the most staunch lover of Fleetwood knows that the size of the club isn’t even in the same stratosphere as Sunderland or Hibs. The drop from keeping Watford in the prem on a short deal to taking us on as a project isn’t a comparable one either. 

Just saying. 
In response to going from Sunderland to Fleetwood being a massive drop off. Well, it’s League 1 to League 1. 
So not a drop off at all in terms of the level. 
Of course the club stature is different. But it’s the same level. 
It could easily be argued that Bristol City are twice the size of Bournemouth, and yet they’ve bought 3 of our youngsters for over £50m in the last few years. 

End of the day, he left league 1 18 months ago and is now back in league 1. 

58 minutes ago, Ron W said:

The same irritations Hibs fans mention, especially the Brentisms, easily come to mind at the forefront of memories of LJ's tenure here and do cloud some of the better moments. Even accounting for the amount of money spent at times there were some good times, and as others have said he's been a mixed bag at pretty much every club he was at aside from Oldham (good) and Hibs (bad).

I feel like he's always going to be like that, because the trends across his management career are pretty consistent. The buzzwords have been there since day one and there's an interesting video on the Coach's Voice website where LJ runs through some of his video coaching sessions, and it's absolutely full of them. The analysis he does clearly very thought-out and intricate, but you don't need to be a pro footballer to see how easily anyone would be blinded by the science and turned off by it.

The other thing is his reaction under pressure, which seems to underpin the streaks he's gone on. We saw it at City that he'd fumble around in the dark when results began to turn, and rip everything up and start from scratch, really undermining his own philosophies in the process. Hearing what others have said from Hibs fans it sounds like nothing has changed on that front, and he can't expect to find more consistency in his teams' results before it does.

The rip it up and start again system just shows he’s not confident in what he’s actually doing, despite all the bullshit, the measuring grass and all that stuff means he’s trying to come across as to clever to hide his deficiencies 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

The rip it up and start again system just shows he’s not confident in what he’s actually doing, despite all the bullshit, the measuring grass and all that stuff means he’s trying to come across as to clever to hide his deficiencies 

I’m never quite sure why people make fun of measuring the grass. Clearly it’s an important factor in playing passes along the ground. We also water the pitch just before every kick off, presumably to ensure the ball zips over the surface. Nobody jokes about that. It’s known that some hoofball clubs leave the grass long in certain areas, isn’t it? And I believe Arsene Wenger used to go on about it too.