IGNORED

Lee Johnson

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Even if all the Fleetwood fans are singing his praises, which I can’t imagine to be true, it’s significant that his reputation at the last two “big” clubs he managed is still negative. 

But that didn’t answer my question. 
The quotes you put up were from whom? 
As I said, I’d guess it’s Hibs or Sunderland fans. 
As for Fleetwood fans, the majority of comments I’ve seen from them were not calling for LJ’s head. They realise their club has deeper problems. 
You may not believe that to be true but it’s clear from the majority of actual Fleetwood fans comments that it is true. 

The problem with anything LJ related on a Fleetwood social media page is that there are usually half a dozen comments from Fleetwood fans and about 50 from Hibs/Sunderland/City/Villa. 

But I do agree with you that’s it’s a reputation killer for him. 

Edited by Harry

31 minutes ago, Harry said:

But that didn’t answer my question. 
The quotes you put up were from whom? 
As I said, I’d guess it’s Hibs or Sunderland fans. 
As for Fleetwood fans, the majority of comments I’ve seen from them were not calling for LJ’s head. They realise their club has deeper problems. 
You may not believe that to be true but it’s clear from the majority of actual Fleetwood fans comments that it is true. 

The problem with anything LJ related on a Fleetwood social media page is that there are usually half a dozen comments from Fleetwood fans and about 50 from Hibs/Sunderland/City/Villa. 

But I do agree with you that’s it’s a reputation killer for him. 

We may not agree on this but I respect your opinions as you’re one of the sensible, informed posters on the forum 

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Anyone see him perhaps trying his luck abroad?

Selling timeshares in Spain? 

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree. I remember saying this when he was here but a lot of the issue for me was he spent so much time trying to get 5% extra out of players that he frequently forgot how to get the main 95% out of them.

I don’t think he is a bad manager or that he did a terrible job for us but I do think he’d be a much better manager if he stopped trying to prove how good he was and trying to bamboozle the opposition in ways that frequently end up bamboozling his own players and probably himself. 

With respect as I hear people say that a fair amount, doesn't that exact characteristic you've described make him a bad manager though?

On 09/09/2023 at 12:17, NickJ said:

Saw that inteview, Wilbs was careful what he said but plainly thought LJ was not someone he could take seriously. I've heard, and heard of, other players take the piss also.

He's a blagger and doesn't in general command respect as a football manager, because he is is the reincarnation of David Brent.

Blamed losing 3 league games at Hibernian to inferior opposition on "fixture congestion", caused by a "European run" which involved beating a team from Andorra and another from a  small Swiss town.

There are 2 teams in Scotland "bigger" than Hibs, and 2 others more less the same, and yet he managed to lose more games than he won during around 50 games in Scotland, despite being given, by their standards (where have we heard this before), a transfer budget which far exceeded previous managers.

Measured by win ratio, his most successful period as a manager was at Sunderland - where with the resources of that club in division three Mike Bassett would have got them promotion. And yet Sunderland sacked him while they were in the play-off positions. Why? It came immediately after a 6-0 defeat, but there was more to it than that. 

Wherever he goes, he's an unusually divisive figure, but judging by what I've read, mainly disliked and/or ridiculed. How can somebody possibly be a successful manager under those circumstances?

If Fleetwood are mad enough to gve him the job, they will probably be relegated, or he will be sacked before that happens. I'd like to say that will then be the end of it, but he will pop up again at somewhere like Newmarket having bamboozled some unfortunate non league chairman, still convinced he's a future England manager in waiting.

Feeling sorry for Newmarket fans right now. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Been posted already and moved to the ex players section. Leading me to repeat my plea - can we remerge that section with the main forum, it’s had a trial period now and we keep getting stuff posted here first and moved so I think it’s clear what the preference is. Either that or run a poll confirming if people want it to stay.

+1

Haven’t used that sub forum once

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Been posted already and moved to the ex players section. Leading me to repeat my plea - can we remerge that section with the main forum, it’s had a trial period now and we keep getting stuff posted here first and moved so I think it’s clear what the preference is. Either that or run a poll confirming if people want it to stay.

I’m quite happy for it to stay. After a week or so it will drop down the OTIB charts until something new happens

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

1 minute ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

+1

Haven’t used that sub forum once

Totally agree, one of the best things about OTIB was that we didn't get topics hived off to various sub fora.

Please change it back mods!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Yep, put it to a pole to be fair but I think most would want those posts back in the main football forum.

The change to create that new forum was made without a poll, in response to just 1 or 2 posters.

Really no need for a poll now imo, just change it back to how it was when just about everybody was happy with it.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

I remember posting after he was sacked here, he hasn't established himself as a Championship manager and will struggle to get a job at this level. People disagreed and I still don't know why. I'm not honestly sure we'll ever see him manage at this level again unless he provides some miracle with a lower league club. 

He was given more money at Bristol City than any other Manager has ever been allowed to at this club and we never even made the Play-offs under him. Based on the money he spent, he failed. The transfer business of Summer 2019 and January 2020 were absolutely dire.

He should have been disposed of after we failed to make the playoffs in 2019. Thank you, but we need someone who can take us there with the money spent.

I didn't like him as a player, or how he conducted himself in interviews and I thought his man management was pretty dreadful at times too. He shouldn't have ever been given the job in the first place.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just saw that they’ve appointed Charlie Adam . Didn’t know Johnson had been sacked . Had to search for this thread . Why is there a ex players thread . All relevant to city isn’t it . 

• Like 2