IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Aside from a World Cup semi final, and a Euro's final. Aside from being the most successful manager since Alf Ramsey. You have some odd opinions on "proper managers".

Proper managers have a decent record within the football industry and Southgate has nothing of note on his CV.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Can you actually evidence this please? ? 

Because personally I think you're chatting bollocks

Thank you. I was about to post something similar, as a 60 year old England fan, I can remember tournaments where we were expected to progress and failed. We have had the odd group of death, and occasional bright moments,  but generally we have underperformed until recent big tournaments. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I didn't get to watch the England game, how did we play?

We were excellent, progressive, front foot football from the off. There was a scrappy period after the 10 minutes it took to deal with Iran's concussed goalkeeper, but other than that we did a great job. Bellingham could be the rising star of the tournament.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Can you actually evidence this please? ? 

Because personally I think you're chatting bollocks

Here's some evidence not bollocks at all

England's qualify group Poland Albania Hungary Andorra San Marino

England beat Panama Tunisia Colombla(on pens) and Sweden to reach the SF in WC2018

England beat Croatia Czech Republic Germany Ukraine and Denmark to reach Final Euro2020

A real lack of quality in that list of teams  and it looks like the draw has been very kind to England in this tournament too the next round will likely be Senegal or Ecuador not France or Argentina that's why he's a lucky manager which is not a bad thing 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Thank you. I was about to post something similar, as a 60 year old England fan, I can remember tournaments where we were expected to progress and failed. We have had the odd group of death, and occasional bright moments,  but generally we have underperformed until recent big tournaments. 

South Africa 2010 group stage:

England 1 USA 1

England 0 Algeria 0

England 1 Slovenia 0

The good old days of the golden generation!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

England beat Panama Tunisia Colombla(on pens) and Sweden to reach the SF in WC2018

England beat Croatia Czech Republic Germany Ukraine and Denmark to reach Final Euro2020

A real lack of quality in that list of teams  and it looks like the draw has been very kind to England in this tournament too the next round will likely be Senegal or Ecuador not France or Argentina that's why he's a lucky manager which is not a bad thing 

A simple "no, I can't" would have done. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Poland, Columbia, Croatia, Germany (stuffed Brazil 7-1 not so long ago) and Denmark are hardly pushovers. 

Edited by RUSSEL85
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Yeah, lucky we haven’t got France who got the easy route to the euros final by playing Switzerland in the knock outs. 

Oh wait

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh, anyone writing Denmark off in this tournament should, I think, just wait until the group D games have been played.

I think Denmark have been tipped so much as a dark horse that they no longer qualify as one!

Croatia also mentioned above as a pushover. Is that the same Croatia that ensured we didn't even qualify for Euro 2008? And let's not mention Romania! 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I didn't get to watch the England game, how did we play?

We were night and day from recent Nations League performances. Yes, we can talk about a less than brilliant Iran side but we carved them up.

The Iran goal (not the penalty) was brilliant and showed we still need to be on our toes defensively but overall, you couldn't fault our intent.

Southgate making 5 subs was also brilliant to see. The squad now have more confidence and a lot of players have now had game time. Clever game management.

I don't think many people predicted this sort of start.

Edited by Midlands Robin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And now...

The Football Association of Wales is investigating the circumstances around female supporters having rainbow-coloured bucket hats confiscated upon entry to their Group B opener against the USA. Some Wales fans reported being confronted by security for bringing the hats into the Ahmad bin Ali stadium and others have had them confiscated. The Rainbow Wall, a Welsh LGBTQ+ fans’ group, said on Twitter: “Not the men, just women. @FIFAcom ARE YOU SERIOUS!!”

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think Denmark have been tipped so much as a dark horse that they no longer qualify as one!

Croatia also mentioned above as a pushover. Is that the same Croatia that ensured we didn't even qualify for Euro 2008? And let's not mention Romania! 

Oh I don't think Denmark are a dark horse at all. They're a good team that did well in the Euros and should do well in this tournament as well.

Croatia are a mad team that just seem to refuse to age.

And on the game between England B and New England, we all want a draw surely?