IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

• Admin
2 hours ago, Super said:

You can't really compare Modric. Halaand and Mbappe are evenly matched imo.

Haaland and Mbappe are evenly matched? Excuse me? One plays in a farmers league and has rarely done anything of note. 

The other has now played in 2 of the best leagues in the world and smashes in goals for fun. 

Mbappe should not be spoken about in the same sentence as Haaland. 

• Confused 1

@chinapig and others. 

Looks like the German Football Association has lodged a case with CAS against FIFA in order to "clarify whether Fifa’s procedure is in fact legitimate". This follows a major sponsor of the DFB cutting ties as a direct result of the OneLove armband fiasco.

Through that process FIFA will be forced to explain to the CAS arbitrator(s) why it felt it could impose "sporting sanctions" in relation to the OneLove armbands. Should be interesting.

• Like 1

Yesterday was the first time that I’d seen Mbappe play - what a fantastic player! I’d obviously heard about him but to actually see him perform was something else. He’s lightening quick along with an all round game. A terrific player. Came over really well when interviewed pre match, speaks excellent English.

Shame he was born in France……….:cool2:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Haaland and Mbappe are evenly matched? Excuse me? One plays in a farmers league and has rarely done anything of note. 

The other has now played in 2 of the best leagues in the world and smashes in goals for fun. 

Mbappe should not be spoken about in the same sentence as Haaland. 

Guess doing it on the biggest stage counts for nothing then.

47 minutes ago, Super said:

Guess doing it on the biggest stage counts for nothing then.

I know some have said that Norway are on an upward trajectory, but I don't know how far they can go, I think I am right in saying that all but a handful of teams are part timers. It will be a shame if he is consigned to the George Best, George Weah group of players whose national sides were not able to get him to the biggest stages. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Here is one thing.

Why is the schedule so condensed this time?? 4 games a day right through the group stage excluding the last round where both games kick off simultaneously is rather condensed!

Looked at past WCs ie the last couple and was 3 in a day tops- is it purely as it is midseason.

Yes.

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Here is one thing.

Why is the schedule so condensed this time?? 4 games a day right through the group stage excluding the last round where both games kick off simultaneously is rather condensed!

Looked at past WCs ie the last couple and was 3 in a day tops- is it purely as it is midseason.

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yes.

48 teams in 2026, that presumably will either mean. 6 week tournament or multiple games being shown at the same time. An expensive one too, when the daily rate compensation for players is factored in.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

@chinapig and others. 

Looks like the German Football Association has lodged a case with CAS against FIFA in order to "clarify whether Fifa’s procedure is in fact legitimate". This follows a major sponsor of the DFB cutting ties as a direct result of the OneLove armband fiasco.

Through that process FIFA will be forced to explain to the CAS arbitrator(s) why it felt it could impose "sporting sanctions" in relation to the OneLove armbands. Should be interesting.

Yep, I mentioned this in the Politics & Current Affairs thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/22/german-football-federation-legal-action-fifa-onelove-armband-ban-world-cup

Where's the response from the FA and FAW I wonder? Or is support for the DFB compromised by a potential World Cup bid?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yep, I mentioned this in the Politics & Current Affairs thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/22/german-football-federation-legal-action-fifa-onelove-armband-ban-world-cup

Where's the response from the FA and FAW I wonder? Or is support for the DFB compromised by a potential World Cup bid?

It's now a legal case being arbitrated by CAS, and that can be discussed without dipping into the politics of the armband itself. I therefore think it is highly relevant to football matters and so see no need to restrict it to the Politics forum.

I guess the FA and FAW (and the Dutch and other FAs) have not suffered similar commercial consequences. No sponsors have left them (so far as I know) and so no money has been lost. They don't need to respond to the CAS case being brought by the DFB as they aren't party to it. Quite sensible for them to keep quiet.

As for a WC bid - we withdrew from 2030 IIRC. I thought we were concentrating on Euro 2028 instead?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's now a legal case being arbitrated by CAS, and that can be discussed without dipping into the politics of the armband itself. I therefore think it is highly relevant to football matters and so see no need to restrict it to the Politics forum.

I guess the FA and FAW (and the Dutch and other FAs) have not suffered similar commercial consequences. No sponsors have left them (so far as I know) and so no money has been lost. They don't need to respond to the CAS case being brought by the DFB as they aren't party to it. Quite sensible for them to keep quiet.

As for a WC bid - we withdrew from 2030 IIRC. I thought we were concentrating on Euro 2028 instead?

Fair comment and no doubt you're right. I haven't seen any journalist ask the FA or FAW for any comment but no doubt it would be no comment anyway.

As to your first para, I don't think this stuff is politics in the usual sense. It's rather football 'politics' with FIFA at the centre and belongs in Football Chat. But I am probably in a minority.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Fair comment and no doubt you're right. I haven't seen any journalist ask the FA or FAW for any comment but no doubt it would be no comment anyway.

As to your first para, I don't think this stuff is politics in the usual sense. It's rather football 'politics' with FIFA at the centre and belongs in Football Chat. But I am probably in a minority.

Australia were theoretically playing 4 - 5 -1, but  for too much of the game it looked more like 4 -6 - 0 even when in possession.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Happy for mods to split it into a separate thread if they want to kept his one "pure" on-pitch WC football related.

Or you and I can discuss by DM seeing as we appear to be the only two sad enough to be interested in this.