IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Individual brilliance was a big thing back in the 1980s and 90s and often that alone won games. It isn't so much like that anymore. The game is full of athletes

Agreed.

Might also add though it's variable, sides can be so well organised and coached these days, even the lesser sides and the ability from a defensive side can negate individual brilliance. Such analysis, time spent on negating an opposing star player or 2.

• Like 1

After the first round of games, we’ve had 16 matches and in 8 of those there’s been a penalty. 
That’s a staggering 50% of games. 
It’s the equivalent of Bristol City getting 23 penalties in a season. 
I reckon we’d struggle to have had 23 penalties in the last 20 years!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

After the first round of games, we’ve had 16 matches and in 8 of those there’s been a penalty. 

An glad you posted the stat. Was about to have a look...

Disregarding us, I would say...

1) The PL and Championship have less penalties than this tournament- so far per game 8/16 is 0.5. Championship is certainly lower I believe.

2) Lower again this season, possibly due to the physicality directives that were mentioned back in the summer ie more contact.

3) VAR- possibly makes a penalty more likely to be awarded?

4) All of the above means a lower threshold to award a penalty than over here and especially in the Championship.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

An glad you posted the stat. Was about to have a look...

Disregarding us, I would say...

1) The PL and Championship have less penalties than this tournament- so far per game 8/16 is 0.5. Championship is certainly lower I believe.

2) Lower again this season, possibly due to the physicality directives that were mentioned back in the summer ie more contact.

3) VAR- possibly makes a penalty more likely to be awarded?

4) All of the above means a lower threshold to award a penalty than over here and especially in the Championship.

It’s number 3) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I would certainly agree with that in England. They are taking minutes over decisions, if that can't decide in 30 Seconds, then the game should carry on.

It'd be quicker for them to refer to a 12-person jury, complete with huge foam hands for thumbs up or down. Or why not go the whole hog, and get Ant and Dec to invite the viewers to phone-in? Who cares about time, its entertainment we want.

• Haha 1

On 23/11/2022 at 12:27, Leveller said:

A good tournament for the Arab teams so far (yes I know lots of Moroccans are Berbers not Arabs).

As you might imagine, I come across a lot of Maghrebians, living and working in France.

As I learnt many years ago, woe betide you should you inadvertently refer to a proud Berber (or Kabylian) as being an Arab, although, of course, many of both are Muslim.

Whilst the rebukes I received were generally good-humoured, very similar to the reponse one might receive when referring to the Welsh/Scots and/or Irish as being English, or Canadians as being American, one should be in no doubt that they are very proud of their heritage. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Harry said:

More like the equivalent of 23 penalties being awarded against us in a season.. We’re not allowed to have any..

15 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

So anybody who says VAR exists to eliminate errors is incorrect. If it isn't designed to eliminate all error, however marginal, then why bother? For example, in the same league are there always the same number of cameras, of equal definition,  covering identical areas of the pitch? If not, has anybody looked as to whether the more prominent clubs, with greater coverage and higher definition are in receipt of differential calling to their peers?

Why not simply allow marginal error - by giving back total control to the officials?

I believe the system is a set of cameras, so in theory yes they should all have the same number of cameras, same location etc. They even went as far as clearing up the offside situation saying the balls have chips in them so they know the precise moment they are kicked and the lines are drawn in seconds apparently - all automatic (I swear some people think a person in a studio "draws" the lines on themselves!)

In practice - is every stadium the same size with the same availability for position cameras? No, but I assume there must be some calibration to ensure uniformity?

For me big issues with VAR is - it's still down to opinion of the person in charge, it's better now that the refs get to view a screen (this didnt initially happen in the Prem I dont think?) so it can ultimately be their call, but you will get 2 very similar incidents receive different punishments across games and officials. On top of that, it's the communication back to the viewer, especially in the stadium. The fans need to know what's being reviewed and given some update.

I've been to a couple of games now in real life where VAR has been used. Leicester v Chelsea FA Cup final with Chelsea's late equaliser, that was an awful fan experience as it took so long and England v Germany recently when no one had a clue what was happening. Luckily had enough signal to message friends and understand what they were looking at.