IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

55 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Gareth Bale “The red card really changed the game”.

No it didn’t Gaz. You were getting battered anyway. 

I’m so disappointed with how shit Wales were today. They made Iran look class. A midfield of Allen, Ramsey and Bale is probably the leggiest midfield there’s ever been. Absolutely atrocious!

Bale's bank balance far outweighs his IQ? .........           ..........and if not for football, would be working in a car wash?  Apologie's to any hard working car washer's!   Luckily for him, he has enough dosh to last a lifetime.  Not bad for someone who has tended to play around 20 club games a season over the last 13 years.  He was certainly quality once, but is due to retire  very   soon?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Has a host nation ever been as bad? 

Apparently the first to be out after two games, so no. Lovely to have that in the history books (for the people in charge, not so much the players)

59 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It’s not, and I’ve rarely met anybody who agreed with me. But, unless I’m imagining it, lots of players are now deliberately putting themselves in the way of an opponent who is genuinely trying to kick the ball. If there’s a big back lift it’s easy to do.

Have to be honest, I do it. As a defender if I'm in a race with the striker, just step across before the ball and take the foul.

Even more so going forward because I'll be honest, a free kick is probably the better solution than me having the ball on the edge of the area 9 times out of 10. Though I have scored the odd screamer ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

It’s not, and I’ve rarely met anybody who agreed with me. But, unless I’m imagining it, lots of players are now deliberately putting themselves in the way of an opponent who is genuinely trying to kick the ball. If there’s a big back lift it’s easy to do.

I’ve just seen the Senegal “foul” on the Qatar player.  The Qatar player completely alters his running line doesn’t he.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Or, alternatively, deliberately sticking your leg between the ball and a player who is trying to kick it (which you are not). Who is initiating the contact here? To me, this “buying a foul” shouldn’t be allowed.

Or diving, I thought that was supposed to be punnished!

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Shame they beat Ukraine to get to this World Cup.

Ukraine would have given a much better account of themselves. To see them at the tournament would have been truly inspiring.

Was at a loose end so watched the play-off back in June.

Ukraine were so very dominant, a better side than Wales without doubt IMO. That's before we even get onto the context of the terrible stuff going on over there- and though it's only a game Croatia was still in the tail end of war in the late 1990s and it probably drive them on in qualifying for and at major tournaments. Adversity at home can do that to a side.

• Like 1

So much bollocks spoken about Wales before the WC, and mostly from commentators and pundits.

They have looked total shite in their two games, and look exactly like what they are, a team of second rate players relying on an old bloke who no longer has it.

The derby aspect aside,  I don't think England will have any problem with them,

But we will have to wait a few more days before the Welsh voices completely subside.

Come on England,  let's have 9 points coming out of this group and send 'em packing!

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

So much bollocks spoken about Wales before the WC, and mostly from commentators and pundits.

They have looked total shite in their two games, and look exactly like what they are, a team of second rate players relying on an old bloke who no longer has it.

But we will have to wait a few more days before the Welsh voices completely subside.

Come on England,  let's have 9 points coming out of this group and send 'em packing!

The amount of coverage across all the media they got on Sunday and Monday was embarrassing.   And when that simian scored it was like they’d won the World Cup not got a draw in a first round match.   Today was just as bad.   Logan saying it was a ‘sucker punch’ (never mind Iran were by far the better team). Claiming Irans ‘dark arts’ were a factor (Hennessy’s Schumacher anyone?)   Having a Guatemalan ref made life ‘difficult’. Just total utter bullshite.   Gabbidon was good though I thought on comms.  Didn’t get too caught up - unlike Hartson the other night who was a sheer embarrassment.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lenred said:

The amount of coverage across all the media they got on Sunday and Monday was embarrassing.   And when that simian scored it was like they’d won the World Cup not got a draw in a first round match.   Today was just as bad.   Logan saying it was a ‘sucker punch’ (never mind Iran were by far the better team). Claiming Irans ‘dark arts’ were a factor (Hennessy’s Schumacher anyone?)   Having a Guatemalan ref made life ‘difficult’. Just total utter bullshite.   Gabbidon was good though I thought on comms.  Didn’t get too caught up - unlike Hartson the other night who was a sheer embarrassment.  

Gabbidon is good, fair and a nice bloke too. Agree with that.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Don’t be so sure. Just as the Jocks always do the Taffs will raise their game against England. Add to that by the time we play them England may well have already qualified and psychologically that might effect the English players.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Don’t be so sure. Just as the Jocks always do the Taffs will raise their game against England. Add to that by the time we play them England may well have already qualified and psychologically that might effect the English players.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm going for an England win.

The England players should NOT want to take the foot off the gas and let their rivals through to the knock-outs.

That would be piss poor, and I'm saying it's not happening.

Cheers @Robbored

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Just like the total overreaction when the Jocks drew with England in the Euros and Gilmour was going to be the next Messi ,?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Ecuador giving the Dutch a game here. Valencia having a good start to this tournament.

Could well be against them next round. Far from a gimmie. Mind you, the Dutch always look like they want to get through every match expending as little energy as possible.

Ecuador I'm not too surprised they are decent. Surprised at how dominant they are today however.

Conditions in Qatar even at this time of year more in common with South America than Europe for one.

Secondly- check out some of their results and performances that underpinned them in qualifying. Best Uruguay 4-2, Colombia 6-1! Granted in Ecuador itself but still...

Thirdly, Holland know that if they best Qatar they're through. If they draw this but beat Qatar they may well win group anyway.