IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

12 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Poor ?

You really think we were ‘poor’ ?

Nowhere near poor, totally in control of game

Yes in control of the game against a vastly inferior opposition, who dug in and sat back. It does not change the fact that up until Rashford's free kick our play was poor.

We were slow. Thought speed, movement, passing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

25 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Van Gaal didn't take kindly to Dutch journalists saying how boring his team are but they have looked pretty pedestrian. Luckily for them Gakpo is in great form.

Imagine the response though if England only beat Qatar 2-0. Instead this is the first England team to score 9 goals in the group stage. Southgate out!?

I've seen many comments from Man Utd fans about how watching the Dutch is triggering their PTSD from his time in charge of them.

Edited by Northern Red
typo
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I appreciate the respect.

But it is silly that we have four FAs and four teams for one sovereign state. Might as well let Spain enter a Spanish team, a Basque team and a Catalan team, or let Bavaria, Prussia, Hanover and Swabia all form an FA and get involved.

I'll leave it there and let everyone enjoy the 3-0, but it's a stupid, divisive, archaic system.

I always find it weird looking back at the 66 World Cup crowd photos/videos and seeing Union Jack's everywhere. Genuinely think it looks better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Always felt QFs were par for us this time round. Thought France, Spain, Brazil, Argentina were best coming in and we would do well to beat any of them. Not entirely worked out that way. Got to get past Senegal first, but assuming that likely to be France. No disgrace to go out then if that is the outcome, but we are capable of good matches. Get there first and then who knows.

Get there and we’ve got a bloody good chance.   Sunday is going to be very tricky though.   Needs 100% attention.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I expect your mingpd was taken to the game though

I bet when the nurse said ‘Just a small *****’ ...........your thoughts immediately  turned to Joe Allen 

I told the nurse I was in a hurry to get back to the game so she shoved the needle in like a Gerry Gow tackle.

I hope to be fit for the weekend.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Super said:

What do people think about Senegal on Sunday? Certainly won't be easy but Mane is a big miss for them.

Got shades of Cameroon 1990 about it.

Southgate won’t underestimate them…ought to be a good game.  7pm k/o is helpful too.

Is Fam the only player from Knowle to play in a World Cup?

• Like 1

I think 

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Van Gaal didn't take kindly to Dutch journalists saying how boring his team are but they have looked pretty pedestrian. Luckily for them Gakpo is in great form.

Imagine the response though if England only beat Qatar 2-0. Instead this is the first England team to score 9 goals in the group stage. Southgate out!?

There’s a bit of me that would prefer to be playing the Netherlands instead of Senegal.

They’re more unknown and unpredictable. We haven’t played much v African opposition lately and I think the last few have been close and of course Senegal are African champions………..and they’ve got the man from Knowle

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It was the same people saying England would struggle to get through the group. 

Yet here we are... 

if we couldn’t get through a group that contained the woeful Wales & Iran there would be questions asked.  Now the World Cup really starts and we”ll see what England turn up, I think we’re capable of beating anyone as long as Southgate is brave enough 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I think 

There’s a bit of me that would prefer to be playing the Netherlands instead of Senegal.

They’re more unknown and unpredictable. We haven’t played much v African opposition lately and I think the last few have been close and of course Senegal are African champions………..and they’ve got the man from Knowle

Out of interest, which bit?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I think 

Definitely not to be taken lightly but England never beat one of the top nations (I’d include Netherlands in that bracket, three times finalists) away from Wembley and I wouldn’t be confident of breaking that habit. True, the Dutch haven’t ripped up trees but they are a much better side than what we’ve faced so far.

When we’ve played less fancied countries in knockout games at the WC (Paraguay, Ecuador, Denmark, Cameroon, Colombia, Sweden) we usually find a way to go through.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Super said:

What do people think about Senegal on Sunday? Certainly won't be easy but Mane is a big miss for them.

Think I am right that Gueye also misses it for two yellows as well.

Feels ‘proper’ World Cup playing a side we would meet very rarely. Surely we start as favourites but thought the 0-2 v Netherlands was very flattering to the winners and Senegal have been one of the more interesting sides to watch. Got to be on it from the first minute.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Definitely not to be taken lightly but England never beat one of the top nations (I’d include Netherlands in that bracket, three times finalists) away from Wembley and I wouldn’t be confident of breaking that habit. True, the Dutch haven’t ripped up trees but they are a much better side than what we’ve faced so far.

When we’ve played less fancied countries in knockout games at the WC (Paraguay, Ecuador, Denmark, Cameroon, Colombia, Sweden) we usually find a way to go through.

Point is well made, but never beaten a top top side in knock out in the WC. By that metric don’t think we have ever beaten a WC winner in KO away from Wembley, certainly since ‘66.

37 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Page 'first half we were outstanding'

? what were they doing in this cup ffs

Hilarious. Won’t have a bad word said about this team mind ?

They are absolutely trash but this whole ‘proud to even be here’ stuff is a little wide of the mark no? Pretty much most of tonight’s starting line up either play or have played in the prem. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taylor10 said:

Hilarious. Won’t have a bad word said about this team mind ?

They are absolutely trash but this whole ‘proud to even be here’ stuff is a little wide of the mark no? Pretty much most of tonight’s starting line up either play or have played in the prem. 

They had one decent, if not great, half (the 2nd vs USA)

Other than that, they've been possibly the worst side at the tournament.

But oh  sooooooooo proud.  ffs

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Have some of that, you toilet-wrecking troglodytes.

So ashamed by that performance they’ll want to change their team name after this.

This aged exceptionally well…

991AEEB4-F2E8-4DD6-A487-A47F4AE3CB8D.jpeg

It didn't age as well as this beauty - and to think what actually happened is Maguire and Stones were marking him out of the game in their slippers all match

image.thumb.png.d1b833683ceea87bfa98b23aee23b62d.png

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

It didn't age as well as this beauty - and to think what actually happened is Maguire and Stones were marking him out of the game in their slippers all match

Should’ve stopped after his England C team cap.  Much more the plastic Taffs level. 

11 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Desperately trying to prove how Welsh he is.

Kieffer Moore couldn’t knock out a w**k.

• Haha 1