IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

33 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Maybe you've not been subjected to the consistent hatred of Bristol and England from a number of Welsh people I've had the misfortune to work with over the years.  Perhaps it's because I also like Rugby that I find them particularly irksome as they are vile around the England / Wales games.   The amount of funding going into Cardiff from Bristol.  Test matches etc.

Then there is the treatment we've received from Heddlu over the years.  

In contrast, Scottish people I've known in Bristol have been ace, whether they support Rangers, Celtic or another side.   

No can't say I have. But I do know the Anglo-Welsh rugby rivalry is consistently more bitter than football.  I think the only place you'll get potentially anti-English remarks in Anglophonic Wales is Cardiff. Been met with friendliness elsewhere. 

Try walking in Glasgow with an England shirt on to see just how "ace" your reception is.  Numerous folk will testify to how it isn't a good idea.

As for the Heddlu, they're a problem force, like West Midlands, the Met and other English cops I could mention. 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wright hasn’t played…yet (didn’t play in 14).

Ah fair enough. Looking for players that stepped onto the pitch.

Are you counting loanees? Danny Rose? Was in the 2018 squad but not sure if he got minutes.

@Davefevs Saborio got a few minutes at '06. Again, only if you're counting loanees.

Edited by ExiledAjax

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure if this has been covered in the previous 120 pages, but…

…how many players who’ve played for City have played in a World Cup at some point:

• Hunter (70)
  • Cooper (70)
  • Jordan (74, 78, 82)
  • Semenyo (22)
  • Diedhiou (22)
  • Morrell (22)
  • Odemwingie (10, 14)

any others?

• Scott (2026) ?

• Haha 1

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Ha. My boy is an 18 month old blonde brick shithouse. If the DNA pulls through then he should comfortably hit 6'4" by the time he's 18. I'm already showing him videos of Haaland. Prepping the lad to break records in 2042.

I'm 6' 3, my lad is 6' 5, so Robbo III may well be playing in goal. :laughcont:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm 6' 3, my lad is 6' 5, so Robbo III may well be playing in goal. :laughcont:

Robbo. Look at Gakpo, Haaland, Crouch. You can be a proper height for a grown man and still get striker money. Don't settle for GK.

If we work together then Ajax Jr and Robbo III could be the two up top for the inaugural Team GB at WC 2042, naturally hosted by Mali probably.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Robin 1

To change the mood from these 'heightist' comments ;) and making no assumptions about the Senegal game but do we stand a snowball in hell's chance against the French? They look ominously good IMHO and I get the impression they have extra gears if needed.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

To change the mood from these 'heightist' comments ;) and making no assumptions about the Senegal game but do we stand a snowball in hell's chance against the French? They look ominously good IMHO and I get the impression they have extra gears if needed.

Of course we stand a chance. Why should we fear other teams? Obviously France are brilliant, and we will need to be on top of our game, but on our day, we can beat anyone. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

They look easily the best team to me and can't see how we beat them, but then it's a one-off game so you never know. Get past them and we have a great chance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Apologies for the height sleight, that was beneath me.

Yes we stand a chance imo. I think that actually England and France are more similar than most might admit.

Both have their main assets in the front 6, with an occasionally suspect defence and a keeper prone to the occasional error or rush of blood. Would hopefully be a swashbuckling QF full of end to end technical attacks and more than one unbelievable save. France have won both games, but they've not been perfect for 90 minutes and are pretty focussed, although not reliant, on Mbappe.

2-1 to someone and the winner takes the trophy I reckon.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

Just now, Ecko said:

Of course we stand a chance. Why should we fear other teams? Obviously France are brilliant, and we will need to be on top of our game, but on our day, we can beat anyone. 

I hope you're right Ecko. I've got France to win the whole thing again if I'm being honest. 

Hopefully, we excel in that game ( if we beat Fammys lot, obviously).

Quite enjoyed last night. Thought we controlled the first half albeit perhaps not with the big threat in attack. Had some chances and were dominant without forcing our advantage home.

Looked quite secure too, perhaps Foden and Henderson in made that difference.

Felt at half time like I'd we scored one the dam would break a bit and that is what happened. We were never particularly under any sustained pressure, anything like that.

Should Rashford start v Senegal? Well he certainly staked a claim last night.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Naturally it was deliberate. I also note that you've not praised my footballing analysis, so I know where I stand with that as well.

Sorry, still childishly sniggering at your last post, that properly tickled me as a short arse.

Your analysis is very good Exiled and I hope you're correct.

As you say, France haven't been perfect but I'm not sure they have been at full power just yet and would be a fearsome force if they hit full power, with Benzema out etc.

Is our front 6 as good as theirs? I don't really know but Greizeman and Mbappe are match winners, as are some of ours without the world media adulation, yet.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Your analysis is very good exiled and I hope you're correct.

As you say, France haven't been perfect but I'm not sure they have been at full power just yet and would be a fearsome force if they hit full power, with Benzema out etc.

Is our front 6 as good as theirs? I don't really know but Greizeman and Mbappe are match winners, as are some if ours.

Do you think England have been at "full power" yet? I'm not sure we have. I think Southgate has been cautious, and we would probably play a 352 against France as well, so that would be something different. Possibly not better, but different.

France also may well get a Last 16 game against Argentina, or failing that a fired up and well supported Saudi team. I think both are tougher than Senegal, and both are capable of dumping France out.

Today's games are pretty intriguing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Yes, I noted that. Woeful defending, one can only hope we sort ourselves out very soon to avoid such naive stuff as, surely, we’ll get punished against top rank strikers. 

For me, despite having some decent players, we still look very ‘clunky’ with little fluency rhythm to our play. 

I somehow think you have misunderstood the post.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I watched their game v Denmark or most of it and thought Denmark caused them some notable problems at times, certainly at 1-1 (Denmark I believe are a side who haven't been at their best thusfar- but a good side who can cause most problems).

Mbappe (who else) stepped up of course. Never get the impression that France are so watertight defensively but at the same time, Deschamps- another manager could perhaps have them higher pressing, more front-foot on a consistent basis.

I'd make them favourites vs us probably but we definitely have a decent chance. Probably more of one if we play a shape more like last night than 2 with Mount in front.. better structure and balance?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

But it wouldn't be thought of like that. You'd just be drawing from the full pool of 70million British Citizens (plus others who qualify) rather than the pool of 60million "English", 5million "Scots" or 3million "Welsh". It would be no different to drawing players from Yorkshire, Kent or Warwickshire for the England team. Yes they're culturally distinct, but there's no need to "keep people happy".

You'd also no longer have the Welsh FA sniffing around the best English players who happen to have a great aunt in Caernarfon, and you'd have the whole nation under one FA, with a restructured League system, and all with one goal.

It might in time also help us to move away from the mediaeval notion of the four "countries" and towards a sensible, and properly United Kingdom. But that's for the politics forum, so I'll leave it there.

Big day for Australia today. Hopefully the Mighty Socceroos can do the Danes and get through.

It would be massively unpopular and would probably have the opposite effect to uniting the UK. Witness the outcry when a Team GB was cobbled together just for football at the Olympics. I was delighted when they lost to South Korea.

The four constituent countries of the UK have been moving apart since the advent of devolution, and there’s no bunging that toothpaste back in the tube now. Forcing a combined football team to compete in WCs and the Euros would be plain daft, an outrage to the vast majority of us and thankfully, will never, ever come to pass.

On a separate note, we wave goodbye this week to the tense final group matchday where four teams simultaneously decide their fate (and each others’). The 48-team World Cup means teams will contrive results - those of us old enough remember the “Disgrace of Gijon” in 82.

32 teams is optimal for the tournament - not only do exactly half of teams get eliminated at every stage of the competition, but it’s pretty obvious when you get to that number you’re starting to see teams of very dubious quality. There will be a lot of dross in 2026, but you know how FIFA operate - if ain’t broke, pour some petrol on it and light a match. 

Edited by WessexPest