IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Not one I’d class as a serial diver / cheqt

But he rolled around clutching his face as if he’d just been thumped by Tyson Fury

Not really….he got caught in the face. It wasn’t like there was no contact, and it was just feigned. If you’re going to call him out as a cheat for that then 90% of the players here are cheats. 

11 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I used to rate this ref, he's either been got at by FIFA or is just as spineless as the rest of them.

Messi is a cheating argie asshole

Stupid comment award of the night so far?  Well done...... Of course it wasn't a pen...........but calling Messi an "Argie" cheat is just so sad and misguided?    ??

• Like 2

It has been a strange Group Stage to this World Cup and as @spudskihas mentioned previously European Nations have become so passive and predictable. Seems a lot less focus on individualism and more a focus on effective team ethics in recent International tournaments which takes an element of excitement and flair away from the game.

Another factor is the game's greats from this Era (Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Lewandowski, Bale, Neymar, Benzema, Cavani, Hazard) are all nearing the end of their stellar careers and are no longer at their peak that they once were in 2014 and 2018. I'm not sure that we are seeing the same level of individual talent (Mbappe and Haaland aside). I also think the level of quality from Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Uruguay, Mexico and Denmark is lower than what we've seen from previous recent tournaments. 

I must admit I was bored last week but recently the games have got better, but it has been a strange Group stage and not to take it away from Australia but i'm very surprised they got through to the RO16 with the quality of their side, fair play to them.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Not really….he got caught in the face. It wasn’t like there was no contact, and it was just feigned. If you’re going to call him out as a cheat for that then 90% of the players here are cheats. 

That’s a pretty desperate defence

You are obviously a big fan of him

He play acted , plain and simple

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

22 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

If they give penalties for that there would be about ten penalties every match. And even Bristol City might be awarded one every six months. 

Ah, but you've failed to apply the Bristol City penalty coefficient.

Applying this, VAR would determine that Marie Antoinette's death by guillotine was not even a foul, let alone a penalty

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

It has been a strange Group Stage to this World Cup and as @spudskihas mentioned previously European Nations have become so passive and predictable. Seems a lot less focus on individualism and more a focus on effective team ethics in recent International tournaments which takes an element of excitement and flair away from the game.

Another factor is the game's greats from this Era (Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Lewandowski, Bale, Neymar, Benzema, Cavani, Hazard) are all nearing the end of their stellar careers and are no longer at their peak that they once were in 2014 and 2018. I'm not sure that we are seeing the same level of individual talent (Mbappe and Haaland aside). I also think the level of quality from Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Uruguay, Mexico and Denmark is lower than what we've seen from previous recent tournaments. 

I must admit I was bored last week but recently the games have got better, but it has been a strange Group stage and not to take it away from Australia but i'm very surprised they got through to the RO16 with the quality of their side, fair play to them.

I agree...your second paragraph also underlines why I think we have the individual ability to do well in this tournament. The only thing holding us back, imo, is the negative side to Southgates set up. 

I truly feel if the players were given more licence to express themselves, we would be a greater force.

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

That’s a pretty desperate defence

You are obviously a big fan of him

He play acted , plain and simple

And you were probably one of those giving Gosling grief when went down in the Watford game.

If there had been no contact then yes that’s cheating. But as soon as there’s contact - and there very clearly was here - then it becomes far harder to judge because you simply don’t know, from your position in the stand or in your armchair, exactly how hard it was, where it caught him etc. 

As I said, players go down all the time clutching ankles, writhing around, and sometimes they’re making a meal of it, sometimes they’re hurt. Was Henderson an ‘English cheat’ when he screamed out and rolled around clutching his ankle last night? 

And yes, when Messi is at his best, I’m a huge fan and love watching him…don’t you? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree...your second paragraph also underlines why I think we have the individual ability to do well in this tournament. The only thing holding us back, imo, is the negative side to Southgates set up. 

I truly feel if the players were given more licence to express themselves, we would be a greater force.

They were saying today that Southgate wanted to understand why England had been unsuccessful in previous tournaments , with good players , such as the Golden generation

He and Dan Ashworth spent some considerable time analysing and studying previous World Cups and came to a clear conclusion that playing ‘safely’ or not too ‘Gung ho’  was the way to progress through the knockout stages 

So don’t expect much different in approach 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

They were saying today that Southgate wanted to understand why England had been unsuccessful in previous tournaments , with good players , such as the Golden generation

He and Dan Ashworth spent some considerable time analysing and studying previous World Cups and came to a clear conclusion that playing ‘safely’ or not too ‘Gung ho’  was the way to progress through the knockout stages 

Do you think the knock out stage changes that? You could argue that last night was also a perfect example of how to manage at that stage too - albeit you’d expect to come up against better sides there. 

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

And you were probably one of those giving Gosling grief when went down in the Watford game.

If there had been no contact then yes that’s cheating. But as soon as there’s contact - and there very clearly was here - then it becomes far harder to judge because you simply don’t know, from your position in the stand or in your armchair, exactly how hard it was, where it caught him etc. 

As I said, players go down all the time clutching ankles, writhing around, and sometimes they’re making a meal of it, sometimes they’re hurt. Was Henderson an ‘English cheat’ when he screamed out and rolled around clutching his ankle last night? 

And yes, when Messi is at his best, I’m a huge fan and love watching him…don’t you? 

Think I can tell when a player is , or is likely to be , injured

And ......Thanks for your sarcasm re Gosling , and no , I wasn’t 

FWIW Henderson got fully studded in the side of the ankle , I thought he did really well , firstly not to make a meal of it and to get up - you can dismiss me but did you hear the pros comments on how those challenges hurt ?

Messi - I enjoy his ability , and as I stated I wouldn’t class him as a serial / recognised cheat , but your defence of him is through Messi clouded goggles

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Do you think the knock out stage changes that? You could argue that last night was also a perfect example of how to manage at that stage too - albeit you’d expect to come up against better sides there. 

I don’t know , I didn’t do the study

Ask Gareth

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yes I'm not expecting anything else than a cautious approach by Southgate. Hopefully they go for it.

clearly southgate knows a damn sight more than me, but i'll be really upset if we go back to that 343  /  523 set up again. I think playing 3 in MF with somebody like Bellingham in a more advanced role was a nice balance between overly defensive and gung ho. But GS does love Mount, so imagine it'll be 343 with Mount taking one of the winger places when / if we face France, haha

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

So there was contact to his head.

Why does that make him go down and then roll over several times?

I don't think you would genuinely roll over and over if you had a head injury.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agreed with the thrust of your original post but I think the point applies more to the likes of Denmark, Netherlands, Poland and Germany, even Portugal. Even Deschamps is regarded in France as too pragmatic.

It's worth noting also that Tite spent time in Germany and, I think, Spain studying European tactics because he wanted Brazil to play in a more European way. For all their galaxy of talent who did he replace the injured Neymar with? Fred!

So the implication that Southgate is somehow particularly negative doesn't stand up for me, especially as his team has 9 goals, more then any previous England side in the group stage.

I'd add that against Wales 2 goals came from Foden and Rashford running at defenders and the other from Rashford pressing Davies and nicking the ball off him to set up Kane for the cross. Indeed the high press was excellent all round, especially in the second half. Not particularly shackled perhaps?

• Like 1