IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

6 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The highlighted part is kind of my point.

The ball is played in and the guy is clearly offside from the initial ball, defender heads the ball, Greizmann then scores from an "onside" position. 

1883773697_Screenshot2022-12-01at10_21_01.png.2d2ef2ac27246bee492200909fdbf67f.png 101110115_Screenshot2022-12-01at10_21_24.png.25460a7fa12a96ec397ad2bd97c14888.png

Below Greizmann about to score from defenders header .

2024512354_Screenshot2022-12-01at10_24_10.png.82560d9cab3e9b69d1e22b53a2b66ef4.png

I have found an explanation from ESPN, here you go .

"When Aurelien Tchouameni played the ball into the area, Griezmann was stood yards offside. However, the France striker made no attempt to play the ball or challenge an opponent.

Defender Montassar Talbi tried to head the ball, but he didn't get much on the clearance and it dropped to Griezmann, who scored.

If the officials believed Talbi had made a "deliberate play," the phase is reset, Griezmann is onside and the goal counts.

If the officials believed Talbi hasn't made a "deliberate play," the phase isn't reset, Griezmann remains offside from Tchouameni's pass, and the goal is disallowed.

Essentially, a "deliberate play" is about the defender being in control of his actions. It's not purely about a player trying to kick or head a ball. If the defender has to stretch to play the ball, and can't have true influence about where it goes, that's not considered a "deliberate play." Whether a player is being challenged at that time is also a factor."

So ESPN believe that VAR's opinion is the defender, jumping for and winning the header, isn't making a deliberate play for the ball !
If anyone can explain how a defender spots, jumps and wins a header while no meaning to, then I'll hold my hands up. 
I don't get it. 
Somehow, the WC VAR have managed to be worse than our domestic version, and made it more confusing

Oh, BTW. France are complaining that the game was finished and the Ref blew for full time before the VAR decision was made. 

VAR  is not helping the game at all.

Blimey….phases, deliberate plays, resets, where does all that come from?

All those old and sexist jokes about explaining the offside law to the wife/girlfriend…..I’m not sure the average football fan (me included) understands it any longer. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Blimey….phases, deliberate plays, resets, where does all that come from?

All those old and sexist jokes about explaining the offside law to the wife/girlfriend…..I’m not sure the average football fan (me included) understands it any longer. 

Exactly my point.

Defender goes for the header, that's deliberate , so onside.
But defender goes for ball, and is challenged, not deliberate so offside. 
So in answer to

phases, deliberate plays, resets, where does all that come from?

Not a ******* clue ?

• Like 2

Jersey's 'Knitting Banksy' has struck again with, this time with a woollen World Cup tribute.The newest post-box topper features a knitted mock-up of England's World Cup squad and an exquisitely detailed Gareth Southgate complete with a fetching beard, waistcoat and a little 'Team Gareth' sign.

49BCEF35-D7C5-4A1F-965E-F643C31FA5E0.jpeg

685AB75B-E4A9-4CDC-9A43-83FC6AD6F867.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm probably the only one feeling a little sorry for Lukaku.

First chance there not a lot to aim at , could easily hit the defender/keeper but gets it past them. Unlucky to hit the post.
The header looks terrible, but that nick off the defender at full speed just lifts it into the top of his head.
The one off of his shin , not great positioning but just tries to flick it in.
The one that I think he should score is the one that hits his chest. As a top striker he should expect the defender to miss it, that's the one where I think his rustiness may have played a part.

Still, Belgium are out so

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2