IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sort of proves my point that Germany statistically really were not so bad. Tournament wise too.

The loss to Japan was the killer. 

They scored in every game, are high up in every attacking stat, and a 1-1 with Spain and 4-2 in your final game is a good result. 4 points and positive GD would sometimes be enough to get you through, and indeed has been enough for Spain, and Poland have gone through with 4 points and neutral GD.

They've gone out in the group stage, but 50% of teams do that. They're far from the worst team at this tournament.

But the expectations on them are very high, so judged against that...they may be the biggest disappointment.

• Thanks 1

Anyway dunno why I'm defending Germany so much. Someone I had a suboptimal experience with in the summer I remembered this morning is part German.

Germany certainly has some good things football wise and generally, but in the context of my experience and this football outcome.

To that individual!

Auf Wiedersehen Deutschland, Weltmeiserschaft 2022!

:sub:???

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

They scored in every game, are high up in every attacking stat, and a 1-1 with Spain and 4-2 in your final game is a good result. 4 points and positive GD would sometimes be enough to get you through, and indeed has been enough for Spain, and Poland have gone through with 4 points and neutral GD.

They've gone out in the group stage, but 50% of teams do that. They're far from the worst team at this tournament.

But the expectations on them are very high, so judged against that...they may be the biggest disappointment.

Yes, agreed thank you. It is why I am a bit of a sceptic when people crow that Germany are terrible etc. Terrible in certain areas perhaps but exactly that is laid our well. They also averaged about 58 pct possession and didn't concede a huge number of shots either albeit not the best...hit woodwork 5 times, statistically quite good, dominant even.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I googled “pictures of balls in” and didn’t think it was appropriate to post the images on OTIB.

A mate of mine was helping to run the 3rd team at the club I played for, they needed a new bag for the match and training balls. He instantly regretted doing a Google search for a ‘massive ball bag’!

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Who has been more impressive than England so far across all games? France and Brazil. Can’t see anyone else. 3rd best team so far. Reasons to be optimistic

If you treat France's first two matches separately from their third then yes. 

Of teams that have played all 3 England are definitely up there.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

This is not a truly overhead photograph, as if it were then the  crossbar would be directly over the goal line, rather sitting a little to the right. 

For it to be properly overhead, then the viewpoint would need to shift slightly to the right . The resulting change of perspective would make the ball look much more in than do any of the pictures that have been shown - all of which appear to have been taken from the left ( as we see in this picture), so all of them suffer the same perspective issue, and explains why the immediate response of pundits was disbelief.

I was Googling how goal line tech works and found this article from a German guy dated June 2022 who mentions the Lampard goal and how Germany might suffer a similar fate in the future!  He wasn't wrong!https://www.scienceabc.com/innovation/how-does-the-goal-line-technology-work.html

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

D8C4B160-1B16-4C8C-A363-4B4A9EA80B51.thumb.jpeg.6aff11682f03be32d998cf039d03c482.jpeg

Thought it was worth putting FIFA rankings against each team in each group…and looking at who outperformed / underperformed.  Caveat the Fifa World are what they are!!!

Group B (England’s group) was both the toughest group in terms of average ranking and the group with the lowest spread (highest minus lowest) of rankings.

Group E (Japan, Spain and Germany) was the 2nd toughest and the 2nd lowest spread.

Group A (Netherlands) was the easiest group, had the joint 2nd biggest spread, and at this point in time is the only group to go to form, ie group finish matched their rank.

The top half of the draw, all the top ranked teams went through as group winners.

The bottom half of the draw, both groups concluded have seen the highest ranked teams finish worse off.  You could argue Croatia played a blinder finishing second and avoiding either Germany or Spain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They're mentioning the  Suarez handball incident in the last world cup. Yes he got red carded and Ghana awarded penalty which they then missed but isn't there a case for awarding a "penalty goal" without need for a kick?  A player other than the goalkeeper has illegally prevented the ball going into the net so to me it would make sense. Having said that the latest offside laws allow whoever is officiating to interprete them to their own whims!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Anyone else think that the Round of 16 should be drawn out of a hat, a bit like how it's done in Champions League and Europa League? It prevents teams from throwing games to get favourable 'paths' and makes things a lot less predictable

I can see the merits, but you'd need a lot more time than they have at a World Cup or Euros, it's all planned so that the tournament flows from one round to the other with teams having a certain number of days between games and knowing when they might be playing.