IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

20 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Bellingham’s parents must just ooze with pride

Besides his performances his manners , intelligence , and maturity in interviews is truly truly astonishing for his age 

100%. And whilst your comparisons with Gascoigne may hold good in many respects, in terms of temperament they couldn’t be further apart! Which is why Bellingham has the potential to achieve so much more. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Are France better than us? Don't rate that Centre Midfield, even Man Utd won't touch that Rabiot

I would say they are overall better than us and we’d need to play at our best to stand a chance. We are capable of beating them but if Mbappe is on fire again we will be in trouble. Might be a high scoring game and we have to try and out score them 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I would say they are overall better than us and we’d need to play at our best to stand a chance. We are capable of beating them but if Mbappe is on fire again we will be in trouble. Might be a high scoring game and we have to try and out score them 

I think defensively they are prone, and we have a good attack. If we defend well we win I believe. If we present the same chances to France like we did Senegal in first half we could be in trouble.

12 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

BBC won’t move Strictly ? ??

They have, it's on Sunday next week.

14 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

How da **** have ITV got it again??

Between the two of them they take turns to pick their matches, ITV went for the first choice in the R16 and QFs, whereas BBC have gambled on England getting to the Semis.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I think defensively they are prone, and we have a good attack. If we defend well we win I believe. If we present the same chances to France like we did Senegal in first half we could be in trouble.

In many ways both our matches were very similar. Both Poland and Senegal has some real chances early on. When it went 1-0, both were cruising. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, italian dave said:

100%. And whilst your comparisons with Gascoigne may hold good in many respects, in terms of temperament they couldn’t be further apart! Which is why Bellingham has the potential to achieve so much more. 

Yes , very good point

What a future he has 

He looks like he has 80 caps under his belt

Watched it in a pub, so didn't hear the Post match stuff.

Thought again we looked strong, clinical. Bellingham shone- and that genuine 3 in CM makes us more stable.

Foden must start each and every time he is available, lovely and creative. Rashford his 2 goals v Wales, not even starting?? Nice problem to have for sure.

• Like 1

Think Southgate deserves a lot of credit.

I don’t care if he is a tad cautious at times.  For too long I think England teams have been a bit cocky and cane unstuck.  He’s created a bit of a club culture that we probably haven’t had since Venables.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been critical of some things he’s done.

I wouldn’t have played Saka when he first picked him, nor would I have played Rice DM so young, but I guess with the backing of the FA he’s felt he can build a team without the odd bad result costing him his job.  And those two players in particular have really improved too.

Tough game coming up against France, but a tough game for France too.  That little triangle of Stones (RCB), Walker (RB) and Henderson (RCM) might be key.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t care if he is a tad cautious at times.  For too long I think England teams have been a bit cocky and cane unstuck.  He’s created a bit of a club culture that we probably haven’t had since Venables.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been critical of some things he’s done.

I wouldn’t have played Saka when he first picked him, nor would I have played Rice DM so young, but I guess with the backing of the FA he’s felt he can build a team without the odd bad result costing him his job.  And those two players in particular have really improved too.

Tough game coming up against France, but a tough game for France too.  That little triangle of Stones (RCB), Walker (RB) and Henderson (RCM) might be key.

Do you not think he will revert to a five Dave

Trippier rwb but very conservative with Walker RCB in a three to almost double up on Mbappe ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Spookily , Stuart Pearce on radio earlier saying that Euro 96 team really bonded as the tournament progressed where he felt this squad already has those established bonds

• Like 1

On 03/12/2022 at 15:49, Lanterne Rouge said:

2-0 to the Dutch and totally in charge. It`s always the way with them, creep through the groups under the radar and then turn it on in the knockouts. A bit like Italy when they`re there.

Bizarre comment really, wouldn’t say it’s “always the way” or “turn it on” in knockouts, especially for younger generations who have probably seen them fail to qualify or crash out early more than do well

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Do you not think he will revert to a five Dave

Trippier rwb but very conservative with Walker RCB in a three to almost double up on Mbappe ?

I dunno tbh Shelts.  I hope not.  We have 2 CBs in form defensively…the concerns in recent years necessitating another CB (wrongly imho) aren’t there, and to break up the way we are setting up, would seem ceding an advantage in midfield to France.  They’ll be shit scared of Bellingham burst through as part of a three, with three options ahead of him.  Think he has to trust Walker in a conventional four against Mbappe, as I think it means we can stop Griezmann floating into dangerous positions.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Southgate on Sky Sports News now doing another interview.  Talks about how Henderson and Bellingham kept us on the game first half by pinching balls, and how Henderson gives Bellingham freedom.

Anyone would think he knows what he’s on about!!!

Loved him saying:

"You can tell them now if they're watching it, we're still fighting for this world cup, and they've got to go to Al Bayt and get something, and... and... I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we beat them, love it!"

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I dunno tbh Shelts.  I hope not.  We have 2 CBs in form defensively…the concerns in recent years necessitating another CB (wrongly imho) aren’t there, and to break up the way we are setting up, would seem ceding an advantage in midfield to France.  They’ll be shit scared of Bellingham burst through as part of a three, with three options ahead of him.  Think he has to trust Walker in a conventional four against Mbappe, as I think it means we can stop Griezmann floating into dangerous positions.

I hate when managers adapt the team to match the threat of the opposing team.  Always felt Johnson’s down fall for us was his over thinking.  I want us to take the game to France and cause them problems. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think the only reason we would change to 3 would be to congest wide areas in our third and to get wide overloads in their third

If the games hadn’t gone as they had I’d be definite he will switch to a 3-4-3 but now he has the headache of what to do with Bellingham if he does that. I can’t see him dropping Rice or Henderson so would need to play him as one of the front 3 which I can’t really see him doing either.  That makes me think he might stick with this.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If the games hadn’t gone as they had I’d be definite he will switch to a 3-4-3 but now he has the headache of what to do with Bellingham if he does that. I can’t see him dropping Rice or Henderson so would need to play him as one of the front 3 which I can’t really see him doing either.  That makes me think he might stick with this.  

Why can’t we play 532 or 5311

As @Davefevsposted you either stay with our threat and play a bit of Russian Roulette 

or go with 3/5 at back and , in theory , suffocate their threats

Big call

My concern is how the back four real with Mbappe / Giroud / Dembele

I see Dembele as nearly as much , creative wise at least , a threat as Mbappe

Are we happy to leave Shaw & Walker 1 on 1 with them - Brave 

As I said,  Big call