IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

Watched this on 

22 minutes ago, Super said:

Barely a mention of the star of the night when he got subbed. 

Watched on a Portuguese channel, he got rave reviews. Follows on from his u21 exploits, last finish was beautiful.

Portugal looking good, goals from different areas of the pitch and a positive approach to the game. 

32 minutes ago, DolmanGaz said:

6 genuine contenders, one surprise package (Morocco) and one making up he numbers (Croatia)... shaping up to be a fantastic end to this WC

Even that 'making up the numbers' side have a top midfield.

Kovacic-Modric-Brozovic finally settled on their preferred 4-3-3 can't lightly dismiss a side with that CM platform.

Are Croatia a superior side to Holland? Possibly yes, certainly Holland with their back 3 a bit cautious at times.

Great goal by Leao to finish that off.

Portugal remained clinical in this game, 6 goals from 15 shots (non penalty, non own goals).

12 from 54 in the tournament overall, adjusted for non penalty goals is 10 from 52. Can be a strength and a weakness.

Game itself, thought they were bright, incisive, sharp and yes fairly clinical- but can be got at.. watertight they aren't.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

So he can claim his appearance money? I'm sure photo ops must be written into the TV coverage contract somewhere. 

Always looks like Billy no mates. Is it a spec that the stadiums should have a certain capacity plus one big armchair 

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

Why do they keep showing FIFA's "MINI ME" LOOKALIKEY.......Infanticide,  on the game camera............. It will only incite the crowd?

Apparently they stopped showing him on the stadium screens precisely because he was booed when they did before.

56 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Brilliant performance by Portugal!

Love to hear your thoughts @Olé.

It was unexpected. Portugal under Fernando Santos can be like City, less than the sum of their parts and able to make heavy weather of seemingly easy games. Certainly not free scoring at the highest level since Rui Costa/Figo days.Switzerland I believe were the highest ranked runner up and we seem to play them regularly, losing 3 in 6. But I was there in 2019 when we beat them 3-1 in the Nations League semi and I was there in June when we beat them 4-0 in Lisbon in the same competition group stage. 

I've watched Ramos a fair bit (Benfica) so when people asked me pre kick off what I thought about Ronaldo I said I was happy for the change as Ramos has a brilliant poachers attitude. With that said I'm sick of the English obsession to find a narrative that makes Ronaldo a failure or spoiled.

He's lost his pace and doesn't fit in well when the other two forwards are best in free roles of their own, but he's never not going to support his country or the players around him even from the sidelines. Every  media story or comment is stirring plain and simple. Ramos credited his input. 

Writing a match report on Saturday might be tricky. Wonder if Rotherham has a Portuguese quarter ?

• Like 1