IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

From my experience, many South American players quite often play close to the edge (there were a couple of fairly naughty hits on Gakpo and Depay off the ball early, for example) and if the referee loses the respect of the players, as clearly happened last night, the other team, whoever they are, generally will reciprocate, whether that is the right thing to do or not.

We see it more from Argentina largely because they regularly reach the later stages of the World Cup, IMHO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I cannot wait for tonight

Bring it on

If we win its OURS

First time  I’m actually excited for an England game for a long time - it’s a real 50/50, big game from Walker and Henderson tonight and we’ll beat them. Whoever wins tonight wins the tournament 

Edited by daored

26 minutes ago, daored said:

First time  I’m actually excited for an England game for a long time - it’s a real 50/50, big game from Walker and Henderson tonight and we’ll beat them. Whoever wins tonight wins the tournament 

That is a totally reasonable assumption but I would not discount Portugal too readily, especially WITHOUT Ronaldo.

For what it is worth I think England will win tonight.

Only just watched some clips of yesterday's games, Christmas is starting to get in the way...

Brazil made a huge error, 1-0 up, 4 mins from a win and they get caught on the break, 4 v 4 in their box to concede.

Argentina - what is it with these South American teams? We have seen some fantastic games in this WC, good sportsmanship in defeat, then you see these teams bring the whole thing down. If you can't win with at least a bit of grace then there is no hope. Ugly stuff.

• Like 1

Just talking about the Croatia v Brazil game again, I think some of the apparent claims of negativity were harsh. Watched some highlights.

They were somewhat cautious yes although technically excellent but what frequently happened was that the final ball...was lacking. The final shot...failed to get it away, a Brazil defender made a little block whatever. 

The shot count was therefore perhaps a little misleadingly low, in the sense that they creativity and positivity was let down by the aforementioned factors.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just talking about the Croatia v Brazil game again, I think some of the apparent claims of negativity were harsh. Watched some highlights.

They were somewhat cautious yes although technically excellent but what frequently happened was that the final ball...was lacking. The final shot...failed to get it away, a Brazil defender made a little block whatever. 

The shot count was therefore perhaps a little misleadingly low, in the sense that they creativity and positivity was let down by the aforementioned factors.

Croatia will do us

None of the others can except France

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

This is very poor and boring so far. Morocco look totally comfortable, but have no threat in front of goal, Portugal are uninspiring.

After they dumped Spain out I heard someone on the radio/podcasts ask if there was a "whiff of Greece 2004" about Morocco. This is the first time I've watched them this tournament and yes, I think there is.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

After they dumped Spain out I heard someone on the radio/podcasts ask if there was a "whiff of Greece 2004" about Morocco. This is the first time I've watched them this tournament and yes, I think there is.

3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I agree, I nearly nodded off.

I have to say, that when there have been games like this, I think my wife has been incredibly patient about me watching them. I have even offered to switch to something else during the worst games, hoping that would earn me brownie points when I need the, but she has been pretty good about the whole tournament. I think it helps that it's the middle of winter and she isn't interested in going out anywhere much.