IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

All down to FIFA.

They hate us because we invented the beautiful game. England despite plenty of magnificent stadiums haven’t been awarded a WC since 1966………….:cool2:

The referees England have been allocated have been diabolical culminating in the Latino oaf we had tonight. It’s all part of wider plan to stop England winning the WC again.

We won’t win it once more until it’s held once again in the UK.

Edited by Robbored
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

England played well, they were IMO the (slightly) better team. The Ref's decisions shipped th game massively.
Them going 1-0 let them sit in. 
It should have been a foul , so 0-0
Then Kane's Pen, 1-0, the one not given.
So our equaliser 1-0
Our equaliser makes it 2-1
They make it 2-1 with Geroud 
If the game is Reffed properly we win

If they beat us 2 or 3 nil, I'd be gutted, but I'd hold my hands up. Shit Ref's kill the sport.

Doesnt work like that though

If he gave the foul on Saka  Everything after that would have been different

9 minutes ago, bredwood said:

No. I think Morocco will be exhausted after the emotion and exertions of the 2 wins and the quality of the French will brush them aside.

I hate the tactics of the North African teams . They play to get a goal on the break then put all 11 behind the ball for the rest of the match. Egypt play the same way - what a waste of the talents of their skilful players.

I’m not saying Morocco are a better side than France. Just that I can’t see the same country winning the World Cup twice in a row. Plus there have been so many surprises in this tournament

Just now, shelts said:

We should never of been behind , the goal was a clear foul in the build up . A clear pen not given that would’ve gave us a chance in theory to go one up . We have been failed by the officials . Blatant cheating . 

I agree - as i said earlier i watch these games and something isn’t right 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Feel sorry for Kane. The best player of this group and an excellent captain. Kane didn't deserve to be the one to make such an error.

I'm not surprised that we lost the game though. We gave it a decent go, but I can't escape the feeling that there's something missing with this England team - a bit of a competitive/aggressive/arrogant edge perhaps.

In 4 years time it might be Alex Scott!

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I said a few weeks ago on here that he goes missing in the big games against good teams, I got laughed at. Tonight he did the square root of f all. 

Agreed. Also i Genuinely think he would be bang average if he left the farmers league and come over to the Prem..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

35 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Good olde FIFA......their choices of referees reflect just how poor they are at running the World's favourite game?

Sepp Blatter used to slate officials when required. Can we say the same now?

It's a bit of a segue as without him we wouldn't have a winter World Cup but he certainly wasn't averse to rating and slating refs and linesman.

Whether it was a sensible approach dunno but he used to do it!

He once said referee Ivanov should have been booked or booked himself for his display! Novel. :laughcont:

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Belief .....

We just lack the belief , the realisation that we are a very good side

If I’m being picky , we showed them too much respect first half 

5 minutes ago, Rebounder said:

Did just say somewhere else how great the young lads are coming through, both in terms of talent and appearing grounded, but maybe lack that bit of steal. Think it will come though. 

IMO it's a little bit more than just belief.

To me, we feel a bit too nice as a group. A bit friendly, soft, and pleasant, both on and off the pitch. I appreciate that some people like this "lovely young men" element to us, but I think it holds us back a bit. (Ironically, it also makes us less likable for me personally, but that's just my opinion)

The British often have a disliking for those who show confidence, aggression, extreme competitiveness, etc. Think Ronaldo & Portugal, think Messi & Argentina, think Jose Mourinho. These teams and the individuals within them have an obsession with winning which often manifests itself in actions which come across as selfish, arrogant, or unreasonable. They don't care about being nice young men. They don't care about off field matters. They don't care about being friendly and respectful. They care about winning football matches.

IMO we don't quite have that edge to us.

(Interestingly, I think Bristol City suffer from a very similar issue)

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

All down to FIFA.

They hate us because we invented the beautiful game. England despite plenty of magnificent stadiums haven’t been awarded a WC since 1966………….:cool2:

The referees England have been allocated have been diabolical culminating in the Latino oaf we had tonight. It’s all part of wider plan to stop England winning the WC again.

We won’t win it once more until it’s held once again in the UK.

Ah......can i just point out that the referee gave us the penalty...........he didn't take the penalty?  The reason on this occasion, that we got knocked out of the tournament was because we failed to take our opportunities, we have   no one to blame but ourselves.

• Like 9

I know it won’t be a popular view but I think some of the reaction to the referee on here has been over the top. He wasn’t the reason we lost, and I think talk of plots and deliberate bias is ridiculous.

Let me say at the start that I don’t think he was great: he was inconsistent, never showed any real authority over the game, but in terms of the “big” decisions:

First French goal; the foul on Saka was a long way back and we had plenty of opportunity to stop what happened subsequently. Personally I thought it was a foul, but others (including on here) didn’t - and it was suggested that VAR would have looked at it - and if that’s the case then they decided not too.

First half penalty shout: again, I thought it was a foul, but arguably outside the box. I’d imagine VAR judged that to be the case, and so that decision was theirs, not the referees. He wasn’t given the opportunity to review it.

Second penalty: yes he missed it first time, but we don’t really know what his view/angle was. Today at Rotherham there was an almost identical barge into the back of a City player that went unpunished by the ref - and he didn’t have the benefit of VAR. In this instances the ref did have that benefit, took advantage of it, made the right decision. He didn’t give a red card because the attacking player didn’t have the ball under control so it wasn’t a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Overall, really frustrating because we were good enough to have won tonight, things just didn’t go for us. We matched one of the worlds best sides and on another day could have won. That’s massive strides from where we were  a decade  or less ago. And with young players who’ll only get better. 

• Like 7

Im happy we played attacking minded football  and didn't sit back , we lost because France were clinical another day we get a free kick before the first goal and kane scores both pens but thats football.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Croatia France final again and now want Croatia to win. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

I know it won’t be a popular view but I think some of the reaction to the referee on here has been over the top. He wasn’t the reason we lost, and I think talk of plots and deliberate bias is ridiculous.

Let me say at the start that I don’t think he was great: he was inconsistent, never showed any real authority over the game, but in terms of the “big” decisions:

First French goal; the foul on Saka was a long way back and we had plenty of opportunity to stop what happened subsequently. Personally I thought it was a foul, but others (including on here) didn’t - and it was suggested that VAR would have looked at it - and if that’s the case then they decided not too.

First half penalty shout: again, I thought it was a foul, but arguably outside the box. I’d imagine VAR judged that to be the case, and so that decision was theirs, not the referees. He wasn’t given the opportunity to review it.

Second penalty: yes he missed it first time, but we don’t really know what his view/angle was. Today at Rotherham there was an almost identical barge into the back of a City player that went unpunished by the ref - and he didn’t have the benefit of VAR. In this instances the ref did have that benefit, took advantage of it, made the right decision. He didn’t give a red card because the attacking player didn’t have the ball under control so it wasn’t a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Overall, really frustrating because we were good enough to have won tonight, things just didn’t go for us. We matched one of the worlds best sides and on another day could have won. That’s massive strides from where we were  a decade  or less ago. And with young players who’ll only get better. 

It was a clear foul on Saka for first goal for them.

I thought ref was really poor - stopping game for non head injuries etc. But I don’t believe he was corrupt etc - just awful. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

But if the ref himself gives the foul on Saka, or the clear foul on Kane, from behind, in the box, it's a different game. England were done by the ref, not by var

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Ah......can i just point out that the referee gave us the penalty...........he didn't take the penalty?  The reason on this occasion, that we got knocked out of the tournament was because we failed to take our opportunities, we have   no one to blame but ourselves.

Agreed the ref gave us two penalties in the end which i feel would not have happened if we didn't have VAR. Regardless whether you think the first decision was right or wrong its a great strike.