IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

Just now, italian dave said:

Fair enough, and as I said initially, I didn’t think he was great either! 

Just out of interest, do you think VAR, and the knowledge that it’s there, might affect a referees inclination to give potentially controversial decision straight off? 

Possibly, and the first penalty shout on Kane he’s probably right to let VAR have a look. 

But for me, the Mount one was is clear as day. Even my mrs looked over and said “that’s a penalty surely”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't think all the blame can be put solely on the Ref, VAR is there to right, wrongs. They looked at the Saka free kick, at the Kane trip, as a unit they are not fit for purpose.

I know what you mean, but there’s probably a good reason why VAR can only alter goals, penalties etc and not other decisions? Where do you stop? Should they review every foul, every handball, every throw in and corner? That would certainly ruin the game. You could argue that any number of decisions during a game could have resulted in changing the course of the following few minutes and therefore the whole course of the game. I don’t know what the answer is. 

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s quite as blatant as a conspiracy but FIFA definitely want to expand their reach and market.
Africa with its huge - but poor (but getting better educated and then richer..), populations are too big a market not to possibly ‘favour’ a few more bits of luck than they would normally get over the course of a game. 
It would also help balance the inequality of too many predominantly white European nations against the African nations who despite producing some amazing individual players over the years have not been seen to have been given the same opportunities at national team level?

Other than that we scored less goals than the French, bon nuit et au revoir?

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't think all the blame can be put solely on the Ref, VAR is there to right, wrongs. They looked at the Saka free kick, at the Kane trip, as a unit they are not fit for purpose.

You could be right. My son texted me this after the Kane incident   He’s got a point I think…

Referees always make decisions that are easy for them, the penalty against us when we we’re winning 6 - 1 is nothing compared to that review but they give it because it doesn’t matter

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Possibly, and the first penalty shout on Kane he’s probably right to let VAR have a look. 

But for me, the Mount one was is clear as day. Even my mrs looked over and said “that’s a penalty surely”

Yeah, I said much the same! But it’s sometimes the case that the ref doesn’t have the same view as we have, and there was certainly one angle on the replays where it looked far less obvious. I suppose at the end of the day we just have to recognise that at least the decision was right in the end (unlike at Rotherham - although that wasn’t in the box). Just a shame the penalty didn’t get the justice done. 

Absolutely devastated. Thought we were the better team and we've been done yet again in a major tournament. Partially of course by our own errors, but also feel the ref / FIFA fancy a bit of France in the finale.  

I thought Southgate would leave after this tournament, and I still think he probably will. But there's a reality that there's maybe no-one better and he'll stay.

France are on the verge of winning three of the last six World Cups I think? Quite incredible 

• Like 1

I don't agree there's an outright conspiracy but I do feel like there's both an arrogance from the English and an anti-English sentiment from officials that you see a glimpse of in every "big" game. When they collide it's incredibly stressful/frustrating to watch.

There were long periods where we didn't get a free-kick outside our own half tonight, unfortunate that the penalty (before the penalties) was outside the area. Hard to disagree that it was a foul though. The Saka one, mentioned, before the goal could have been given, but there also was at least one occasion where an England player was taken down and the tackle to win the ball back was penalised despite it being a perfectly good challenge.

Both penalties were stonewall in reality, only at Ashton Gate would you not see them given, and don't forget, he waved away the second one.

For what it's worth, I don't think we were that much worse than France that we needed 2 penalties to get anything in 90 minutes.

The game is the same across the world and it is as simple as having to score more goals than the opposition. We failed to do that tonight.

Although we weren't in control of the game, equalising wouldn't have been against the run of play.

Worse teams than that have won competitions. God it's like watching City.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I know what you mean, but there’s probably a good reason why VAR can only alter goals, penalties etc and not other decisions? Where do you stop? Should they review every foul, every handball, every throw in and corner? That would certainly ruin the game. You could argue that any number of decisions during a game could have resulted in changing the course of the following few minutes and therefore the whole course of the game. I don’t know what the answer is. 

I don't want them to check every little thing, but they were checking the foul on Saka. I thought that was obvious, and the challenge on Kane, again obvious . VAR through this Tournament has been very poor. 

• Like 1

Gutted. I thought we played well and were the better side. A much better performance than the defeat by Italy. The players should be proud of their performance. But fine margins went against us. A great strike for their first goal after Saka was fouled, and we switched off for their second. 

It still feels like winning something is beyond us. 

• Like 1

It's a real shame because we played really, really well against a fantastic opponent. 

The pathway was there for a world cup final appearance. Elite sport often comes down to tiny margins and it didn't roll out way this time.

This england team are a likeable bunch with great potential, not a time to be upset, the core of this team is really young we'll be back. 

I'd build around bellingham, foden, rice and Saka. Give jude the armband and go get that next euros.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yeah, I said much the same! But it’s sometimes the case that the ref doesn’t have the same view as we have, and there was certainly one angle on the replays where it looked far less obvious. I suppose at the end of the day we just have to recognise that at least the decision was right in the end (unlike at Rotherham - although that wasn’t in the box). Just a shame the penalty didn’t get the justice done. 

I know what you mean, and agree, to a point. It does seem Ref's don't make decisions incase the make mistakes. From every angle I've seen, it looks nailed on Free kick and a Pen.

TBF, looking at the whole 95 mins, I think the Ref did ok. But them made some monumental errors .

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It's a real shame because we played really, really well against a fantastic opponent. 

The pathway was there for a world cup final appearance. Elite sport often comes down to tiny margins and it didn't roll out way this time.

This england team are a likeable bunch with great potential, not a time to be upset, the core of this team is really young we'll be back. 

I'd build around bellingham, foden, rice and Saka. Give jude the armband and go get that next euros.

Well said. Didier Deschamps has managed to make France a very non-emotional team, which isn't typically French. Their efficency is quite German. We kept Mbappe quiet. They scored a great opener. It's a gutter. Score that pen and who knows.

6 minutes ago, Henry said:

@Robboreddefinition of Latino stretches from Portugal to Brazil.

The smart ginger realist at it again

All people from South America are Latino - regardless of which country they’re from.

There are numerous Latino players in Europe including Portugal which is why Portuguese is spoken in Brazil whereas other S American countries speak Spanish.

5 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

With due respect , considering your babbling posts , and their assembly

You are absolutely the last person on here who should be making points about anything in English language , including a dictionary 

Lay off the meths eh 

Thanks..I regard that as a compliment......as it is coming from an expert on the art of babbling......especially about Argentina ?

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well said. Didier Deschamps has managed to make France a very non-emotional team, which isn't typically French. Their efficency is quite German. We kept Mbappe quiet. They scored a great opener. It's a gutter. Score that pen and who knows.

What I like about this england team is they seem so relaxed, no crazy media stuff following them around, no front page scandals like we've seen before. Just a good honest bunch of lads with the world at their feet.

Yeah sometimes you get on the wrong end of a scoreline that arguably they don't deserve but that's sport, it's brutal. 

I'm a firm beliver in southgate and the culture he's built and I really do hope he decides to have another crack ? 

• Like 3

Maybe I've just become a bit cynical after so many years of England 'if only' stories. I just feel like we will always find a way to **** it up.

England are a constant sob story. Fact is we are not mentally strong enough to win the pressure games. We always find one way or another to lose when the pressure is on. Our players are now technically good enough but we are perennial losers because we lack the self-confidence to take advantage of our strengths when we are on top against the top teams.

• Like 4

On 09/12/2022 at 22:47, joe jordans teeth said:

Is Messi the best footballer in the world,cmon he was great but is he really better then the French lad right now,hate to break it to you but the argies are worse than Brazil so change your bet to a England v Croatia final ?

How did Mbappe get on tonight?  I know his team won, but was he on the pitch?........I can't remember?      ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Absolutely devastated. Thought we were the better team and we've been done yet again in a major tournament. Partially of course by our own errors, but also feel the ref / FIFA fancy a bit of France in the finale.  

I thought Southgate would leave after this tournament, and I still think he probably will. But there's a reality that there's maybe no-one better and he'll stay.

France are on the verge of winning three of the last six World Cups I think? Quite incredible 

His post match interview suggested that he could well call it a day. 

I could see him moving upstairs.

26 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't want them to check every little thing, but they were checking the foul on Saka. I thought that was obvious, and the challenge on Kane, again obvious . VAR through this Tournament has been very poor. 

Agree, but I suppose that translates into VAR rules/guidelines which say that a VAR decision only changes a penalty, goal. And that’s why they didn’t come back and award either…because they were ‘only’ free kicks. 

Saka - they either felt it wasn’t a foul anyway, or they felt that it was but that it was too long before the goal to have had an immediate impact on it.

Kane - because it was either not a foul or, more likely, that it was outside the box. 

I’m just suggesting that you can see how it all ended up as it did - that it was a consequence of the way VAR works, and not of conspiracies or bribes! 

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Agree, but I suppose that translates into VAR rules/guidelines which say that a VAR decision only changes a penalty, goal. And that’s why they didn’t come back and award either…because they were ‘only’ free kicks. 

Saka - they either felt it wasn’t a foul anyway, or they felt that it was but that it was too long before the goal to have had an immediate impact on it.

Kane - because it was either not a foul or, more likely, that it was outside the box. 

I’m just suggesting that you can see how it all ended up as it did - that it was a consequence of the way VAR works, and not of conspiracies or bribes! 

If it was a foul, it should have been ruled out. Doesn't matter that it was 40 seconds before, it directly led to the goal. 

I'd say on the balance of the game we shaded it but where France won was they had that killer instinct and experience that our players just don't seem to have in the big matches. Did we really create any guilt edge opportunities? We just didn't seem to put them under as much pressure as i'd have liked.

I think the future is bright with the talent coming through, but what hurts me tonight is it's a Tournament where we yet again lose in the big 50/50 match.

And yes their first goal was a foul on Saka and yes Kane should have had a penalty in the first half. No comments on the ref but wouldn't surprise me at all if Fifa want a France - Argentina final so its Mbappe vs Messi. Two players playing under Qatar owned PSG ?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

His post match interview suggested that he could well call it a day. 

I could see him moving upstairs.

I’ve been critical of Southgate before as most here will know, we now have some of the best Young players I’ve ever seen coming through - is Southgate the man to take these to the next level? It will be Southgates decision though as the FA want him to continue to the Euros, if i was him I’d want one last crack with this squad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shelts said:

We should never of been behind , the goal was a clear foul in the build up . A clear pen not given that would’ve gave us a chance in theory to go one up . We have been failed by the officials . Blatant cheating . 

I mean he only gave the second pen because he had to, if it had been up to him do you think we would have got it? no me neither.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Maybe I've just become a bit cynical after so many years of England 'if only' stories. I just feel like we will always find a way to **** it up.

England are a constant sob story. Fact is we are not mentally strong enough to win the pressure games. We always find one way or another to lose when the pressure is on. Our players are now technically good enough but we are perennial losers because we lack the self-confidence to take advantage of our strengths when we are on top against the top teams.

Totally agree,, and its not a lot different than being a city fan!

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What France do really well under Deschamps is they control games very well without having the ball. They made it very difficult for England to create many chances this evening. They're lucky they have him as a Coach as he's made France into a Tournament winning machine.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If it was a foul, it should have been ruled out. Doesn't matter that it was 40 seconds before, it directly led to the goal. 

But the first thing is not what the rules say and the second is debateable and the VAR officials took a different view.

Dont get me wrong, I share your frustration, but I am just suggesting that there’s a good reason why VAR only covers the very immediate (by which I mean less than 40:seconds) passage of play leading to a goal, penalty etc. Because otherwise how far back do you go, and you’d probably end up with half of all goals being ruled out because something in the preceding minute could or should have been given.