IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

6 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I can 100% say that FIFA conspiring to rig the results of the World Cup to engineer a World Cup final is total BS!  e.g. if they wanted the Messi v Ronaldo final then were Morocco not in on it, did they refuse to co-operate to allow Portugal safe passage through? Is the conspiracy to just keep England away from the final at all costs so they brought in a referee who would make us lose?  Was Kane involved and was directed by FIFA to miss the second penalty?  Absolute rubbish 

They did as much as they could without making it obvious, I am pretty sure it's a Messi V Mbappe final they want for the reasons given by @Mr Popodopolous. Despite being within 5 yards of the Mount penalty, he wasn't going to give it. VAR had to give it, to not give it would have raised suspicion higher. If Kane had scored, I am convinced there would have been a very dubious pro France decision further down the line. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 2

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

They did as much as they could without making it obvious, I am pretty sure it's a Messi V Mbappe final they want for the reasons given by @Mr Popodopolous. Despite being within 5 yards of the Mount penalty, he wasn't going to give it. VAR had to give it, to not give it would have raised suspicion higher. If Kane had scored, I am convinced there would have been a very dubious pro France decision further down the line. 

karl pilkington bullshit GIF

4 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

karl pilkington bullshit GIF

That's fine, you don't agree. But the thing is, it's just our turn this time. I have seen this all before in previous World Cups. The Argentina v Peru game in '78, The German Dutch final in '74, and numerous other results since my first World Cup in '70. Part of the reason they made the final group games kick off at the same time was because of the betting syndicates making small fortunes on the outcomes.  

Just now, Port Said Red said:

That's fine, you don't agree. But the thing is, it's just our turn this time. I have seen this all before in previous World Cups. The Argentina v Peru game in '78, The German Dutch final in '74, and numerous other results since my first World Cup in '70. Part of the reason they made the final group games kick off at the same time was because of the betting syndicates making small fortunes on the outcomes.  

I'll refer you to my previous answer.  What are your thoughts on the aliens in Area 51?

7 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I'll refer you to my previous answer.  What are your thoughts on the aliens in Area 51?

I haven't seen things there with my own eyes, so I have to rely on the testimony of others, the ex-military are probably the most convincing but generally spoiled by them being Americans. :) Overall, I think it's unlikely.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I mentioned the FIFA engineered final of choice, but thank you for expanding the detail. I am convinced this is the case myself. We all know how corrupt FIFA are, that's why we are here in the first place, nobody could say that it was beyond them.

Mind you, with the Saka challenge I do think it highlights how inept the officials are across the board. 

When asked if it would be looked at by VAR, ITV's pet referee said "Yes, it would have been looked at as it was part of one attacking phase of play that led to the goal, and they look at every aspect of that. But for me, it wasn't a foul because SAKA GOES DOWN TOO EASILY"! Well Walton you are as bad as the bloke on the field, the assistant ref and VAR then.

It's a joke, the player got nowhere near the ball and swept Saka's feet from under him, he couldn't have stayed on his feet. For both that and the penalty on Kane, Mbappe gets both decisions 100%.

If it's a case of "going too easily" perhaps they could explain why certain celebrity players are regularly awarded free kicks and penalties? 

• Like 1

Reminds me of the same feelings in ‘90 & ‘96 where we were unlucky to go out and we were even better last night than in those two games, fair play to the French players and their manager after the game with the respect they showed to the English players which is something the Argentinians could learn from

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

All people from South America are Latino - regardless of which country they’re from.

There are numerous Latino players in Europe including Portugal which is why Portuguese is spoken in Brazil whereas other S American countries speak Spanish.

Not sure editing my post in your quote makes you less of a racist.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

Day after thinking. Going into this tournament we were so out of form some were worried we wouldn’t get out of the group.

France are probably the best team and we’ve taken them to the wire. I don’t know if that makes us the second best team but we’re certainly up there amongst the best.

Oh, and however many French flags and chants Swansea fans bring in a few weeks, Wales were along with Qatar the worse team in the tournament.

18 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Day after thinking. Going into this tournament we were so out of form some were worried we wouldn’t get out of the group.

France are probably the best team and we’ve taken them to the wire. I don’t know if that makes us the second best team but we’re certainly up there amongst the best.

Oh, and however many French flags and chants Swansea fans bring in a few weeks, Wales were along with Qatar the worse team in the tournament.

Just remind them “They lost to Iran”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I mentioned the FIFA engineered final of choice, but thank you for expanding the detail. I am convinced this is the case myself. We all know how corrupt FIFA are, that's why we are here in the first place, nobody could say that it was beyond them.

Mind you, with the Saka challenge I do think it highlights how inept the officials are across the board. 

When asked if it would be looked at by VAR, ITV's pet referee said "Yes, it would have been looked at as it was part of one attacking phase of play that led to the goal, and they look at every aspect of that. But for me, it wasn't a foul because SAKA GOES DOWN TOO EASILY"! Well Walton you are as bad as the bloke on the field, the assistant ref and VAR then.

It's a joke, the player got nowhere near the ball and swept Saka's feet from under him, he couldn't have stayed on his feet. For both that and the penalty on Kane, Mbappe gets both decisions 100%.

Spot on re Walton

Still think it is a good world if you take the politics out of it 

no trouble out there and all fans mixing  

easy to do a couple of games a day 

very well organised and the grounds and  metro we’re stunning 

just gutted to have missed a golden chance to go all the way 

next stop Naples in March 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Still think it is a good world if you take the politics out of it 

no trouble out there and all fans mixing  

easy to do a couple of games a day 

very well organised and the grounds and  metro we’re stunning 

just gutted to have missed a golden chance to go all the way 

next stop Naples in March 

I’m looking forward to the North Macedonia game and Germany 24 will be amazing 

Edited by Rob k
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Still struggling with the master stroke to substitute our most threatening player. What was he thinking?

I thought 5 minutes before he was subbed he was showing signs of fatigue. Possibly what the coaching team saw also. 

Whether Sterling was the right choice sub, but a like for like I suppose as our formation was causing the French issues.

I still struggle with our back-foot play personally. The only time Stones went into the opposition half with the ball (aside from corners/free kicks) we scored (I think, anyhow). We are way too timid at the back, whether by instruction or lack of confidence.

Far to easy to set up against for any quality opposition team, it’s almost as if we politely wait until the opposition set up in defence before we ‘launch’ (which is what we inevitably did in the first half) a forward pass. That has to change…we had the pace and skill up front to devastate teams if we choose that approach…but because Southgate is petrified of ‘basketball style’ matches he plays an ultra safe game. I think, like Spain have found, possession based football is a dinosaur. 

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

If you venture over to the politics forum, which I know you do from time to time, you’ll know that the thing about conspiracy theories is that by their nature they can never be proved or disproved. 

But you’d surely have to say that if the objective was to ensure that England don’t/France do reach the final then awarding England two penalties is a bloody odd way of doing it. 

And if part of the plan also involved not awarding a free kick at one end of the pitch in the expectation that 40 seconds later and right down the other end of the pitch France would happen to score a goal with a peach of a strike, then they got bloody lucky. 

Walton wasn’t the only person who thought it wasn’t a foul. Personally I thought it was, but it evidently wasn’t quite as ‘nailed on’ as you’re suggesting. And even then, it’s quite feasible that the VAR Officials thought it was a foul too. But that it wasn’t sufficiently critical to the passage of play that led to the goal. That’s another explanation: one you might not agree with, but not completely impossible. 

Edited by italian dave