IGNORED

Kalas - still struggling for fitness

Shuffle

6 minutes ago, Negan said:

Get your point but I hate people who lecture others about this stuff “you shouldn’t go to zoos or aqua parks, they capture them and train them for our entertainment” said person then goes on to eat a chicken burger with bacon and cheese on….. 

I get the argument that just because you eat meat/dairy products doesn’t mean you can’t speak up against these kinds of things but it’s massively hypocritical to say we can’t use them for entertainment but we can kill and eat them by the billions each year ? one is far worse than the other. 

I guess it's down to the individual. However...knowledge and education helps with making decisions. 

• Like 1

On 28/11/2022 at 17:21, maxjak said:

You do realise that halal meat involves slitting the creature's throat, which involves slicing through the windpipe and jugular vein? So well done supermarkets?  and of course the public must be protected to the realities of how meat is produced?  .....Although there are plenty who don't give a S**T, as long as it tastes good?

I digress slightly, perhaps, but here is a little anecdote.

Many years ago, I had to inspect an establishment in Saudi Arabia; a chicken farm, to be precise.

Now, this was no battery hen farm, but a truly free range chicken farm, where the chickens were free to roam all day long in fields of quite lush grass - leopards and hyenas aside, and perhaps hawks during their breeding season, there are few natural predators in Saudi Arabia - only returning at night to roost should they wish, no doubt tempted by the sumptuous feast of grain and other poultry delicacies laid on for them, 'roosting' in beds of hay before venturing forth again the following morning. 

A life of chicken luxury, one might say, especially as the chickens' diet was later supplemented by copious amounts of corn.

Unfortunately (for the chickens), their luxurious, relatively short lives would soon be brought to a premature close, as I would witness during the penultimate stage of my inspection - the in-house abattoir.

Saudi Arabia is, of course, a strict, Muslim Kingdom, and it goes without saying that any meat produced and eaten within the Kingdom is Halal, and I was shown how this is undertaken. 

Firstly, the chickens were rounded up from their fields, placed in plastic crates before being brought to the abattoir, where they were rammed forcibly by their legs on to a metal frame - a sort of W shape - and transported by conveyor belt, head down to allow the blood to go to their heads, passing through an electrified water shower to stun them, before having their throats cut with a sort of scalpel by men muttering 'Bismillah' as they slaughter each chicken.

People will have to form their own judgement as to whether or not such a means of slaughter is humane - for what it is worth, having witnessed it at first hand, I don't think it is - but, I must say that the chicken I was offered for lunch was probably the most succulent and tasty I have ever experienced.

As an interesting aside, my Saudi host, when describing to me over lunch the strict Muslim rules about Halal meat, explained how it was imperative the animal was alive before it was killed!

He, of course, meant conscious, but stressed it was very important nevertheless to ensure the electrical charge in the water shower was kept low, because were the chicken to be electrocuted and killed before it was slaughtered, it would not be considered Halal and, thus, could not be eaten! 

Conversely, if the chicken were electrocuted, but only stunned (Norwegian Blue Chicken?) before being slaughtered, it would be safe to eat.

Needless to say, I refrained from asking how, in the short trip on the conveyor belt to the scalpel, one might be able to establish whether or not the chicken was dead, or simply stunned and pining for its lush green fields and corn based diet.   

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I digress slightly, perhaps, but here is a little anecdote.

Many years ago, I had to inspect an establishment in Saudi Arabia; a chicken farm, to be precise.

Now, this was no battery hen farm, but a truly free range chicken farm, where the chickens were free to roam all day long in fields of quite lush grass - leopards and hyenas aside, and perhaps hawks during their breeding season, there are few natural predators in Saudi Arabia - only returning at night to roost should they wish, no doubt tempted by the sumptuous feast of grain and other poultry delicacies laid on for them, 'roosting' in beds of hay before venturing forth again the following morning. 

A life of chicken luxury, one might say, especially as the chickens' diet was later supplemented by copious amounts of corn.

Unfortunately (for the chickens), their luxurious, relatively short lives would soon be brought to a premature close, as I would witness during the penultimate stage of my inspection - the in-house abattoir.

Saudi Arabia is, of course, a strict, Muslim Kingdom, and it goes without saying that any meat produced and eaten within the Kingdom is Halal, and I was shown how this is undertaken. 

Firstly, the chickens were rounded up from their fields, placed in plastic crates before being brought to the abattoir, where they were rammed forcibly by their legs on to a metal frame - a sort of W shape - and transported by conveyor belt, head down to allow the blood to go to their heads, passing through an electrified water shower to stun them, before having their throats cut with a sort of scalpel by men muttering 'Bismillah' as they slaughter each chicken.

People will have to form their own judgement as to whether or not such a means of slaughter is humane - for what it is worth, having witnessed it at first hand, I don't think it is - but, I must say that the chicken I was offered for lunch was probably the most succulent and tasty I have ever experienced.

As an interesting aside, my Saudi host, when describing to me over lunch the strict Muslim rules about Halal meat, explained how it was imperative the animal was alive before it was killed!

He, of course, meant conscious, but stressed it was very important nevertheless to ensure the electrical charge in the water shower was kept low, because were the chicken to be electrocuted and killed before it was slaughtered, it would not be considered Halal and, thus, could not be eaten! 

Conversely, if the chicken were electrocuted, but only stunned (Norwegian Blue Chicken?) before being slaughtered, it would be safe to eat.

Needless to say, I refrained from asking how, in the short trip on the conveyor belt to the scalpel, one might be able to establish whether or not the chicken was dead, or simply stunned and pining for its lush green fields and corn based diet.   

Interesting story...........personally i believe the whole concept of Halal slaughter is an absurdity, but that is my own view.  It also makes me puke, when i hear the term.............."humanely killed"....I am certain the recipient of   the death blow is so very grateful?  I visited  A French abattoir in my early twenties, and have not eaten meat since that day.   It is all about personal choice and your own moral stance, but i do wish that more meat eaters would get to see just how meat is produced.......as most are content to turn a blind eye, and pick up their perfectly presented, plastic wrapped slice of dead creature in their local supermarket ?    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Interesting story...........personally i believe the whole concept of Halal slaughter is an absurdity, but that is my own view.  It also makes me puke, when i hear the term.............."humanely killed"....I am certain the recipient of   the death blow is so very grateful?  I visited  A French abattoir in my early twenties, and have not eaten meat since that day.   It is all about personal choice and your own moral stance, but i do wish that more meat eaters would get to see just how meat is produced.......as most are content to turn a blind eye, and pick up their perfectly presented, plastic wrapped slice of dead creature in their local supermarket ?    

Which made me think....

Instead of humanely killed, every chicken could be subjected to a very loud playing of Don't You Want Me, Fascination, Love Action, Mirror Man and naturally Lebanon. They'd be Human League killed.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Which made me think....

Instead of humanely killed, every chicken could be subjected to a very loud playing of Don't You Want Me, Fascination, Love Action, Mirror Man and naturally Lebanon. They'd be Human League killed.

If i were you.......I'd go and get me coat?..?

• Like 1