IGNORED

Dan Bentley to Wolves - Confirmed

weepywall

11 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

How is this hard to follow?

Max on exposed form isn't a reliable champ keeper. Too many blunders. Not convinced about holding crosses.

Bajic ain't ready - go look up his clips of French football.

Bentley seems to be off elsewhere.

We need a stopgap until Max or Bajic  is reliable enough to be a genuine #1 Championship quality keeper.

Do you guys think Max is a genuine Championship #1?

Genuine question.

IMO Max is the stopgap. I think Pearson will sign a new keeper in the summer to be #1

• Like 1

Just now, Major Isewater said:

Yes. He will also get better with more game time. 

The important thing is that he doesn’t rest on his laurels.  He needs to keep striving to improve.

Bursik has signed for Brugge.

https://www.stokecityfc.com/news/2023/january/14/brugge-switch-for-bursik/

Would not surprise me if Bentley not involved today.

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

IMO Max is the stopgap. I think Pearson will sign a new keeper in the summer to be #1

I almost agree but reckon the next three months will determine whether O’Leary is number one next season or if we get someone else in and I think a lot will depend on his form, Bajic’s progress (i.e. can he be number two next season and number one the year after or is that too big an ask?) plus our transfer priorities over the summer and what goalkeepers are available.

But like you, I don’t see O’Leary as the long term answer. But that said, I did not  not expect him to both get and take a chance to be number one this season so he could keep proving me wrong.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Highly unlikely, but a loan for Sarkic would suit us perfectly. I wonder if a deal could be done.

He was very good for Birmingham (loan) previously.

Would guess even a back up keeper with no first team experience at Wolves is out of our pay scale.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Would guess even a back up keeper with no first team experience at Wolves is out of our pay scale.

I’m not sure it’s that bad a shout. At 25 you’d guess he’s looking to move on as well as Wolves offloading and barring half a season at Birmingham and a loan spell at Shrews he’s not played much. As he joined Wolves after being released I’m not sure he’s high on pay scale.

I’m unconvinced that Max is the long term answer and would like to see us get a keeper in the summer. Loaning them Bentley gives them an experienced number 2, us loaning Sarkic allows a “try before you buy” and it’s not likely to be a huge fee. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m not sure it’s that bad a shout. At 25 you’d guess he’s looking to move on as well as Wolves offloading and barring half a season at Birmingham and a loan spell at Shrews he’s not played much. As he joined Wolves after being released I’m not sure he’s high on pay scale.

I’m unconvinced that Max is the long term answer and would like to see us get a keeper in the summer. Loaning them Bentley gives them an experienced number 2, us loaning Sarkic allows a “try before you buy” and it’s not likely to be a huge fee. 

I’m assuming from what Pearson said last week that he have a keeper lined up on loan in case Bentley goes, because we wouldn’t have sanctioned Bajic leaving as well, otherwise.

I’m assuming that it isn’t Sarkic or we would have done the deal already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

I’m assuming from what Pearson said last week that he have a keeper lined up on loan in case Bentley goes, because we wouldn’t have sanctioned Bajic leaving as well, otherwise.

I’m assuming that it isn’t Sarkic or we would have done the deal already.

It’s a difficult one as there’s no sense in bringing in another keeper if Bentley isn’t gone. I don’t doubt we have someone lined up, but equally that someone may be sent somewhere else if DB doesn’t leave sharpish. 

I don’t rule it out being Sarkic. Getting a youth GK from a prem club would make no sense so it’s either someone first team ready with a view to longer term, or someone older on a strict short term. I’m not sure the latter makes sense cost wise either so a mid 20s GK (Sarkic or otherwise) who we see as a potential #1 seems the play here for me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Sarkic did come in, could it be with a view to Bajic leaving in the summer if the “try before you buy” proved a success?  Got reasonable first team experience (Champ and Lg1).

Guess much would depend on who they are targeting, and whether someone like Sarkic coming free might change summer plans?

”The Montenegrin Max”!

I thought we paid 4m for Bentley. However who cares. 

Im not sure we would bring in another keeper in the short term. We have Harvey to sit on the bench with a year left on his contract and unless someone tells me differently with a goalkeeper crisis we can get an emergency loan. 

Edited by REDOXO

36 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Im not sure we would bring in another keeper in the short term. We have Harvey to sit on the bench with a year left on his contract and unless someone tells me differently with a goalkeeper crisis we can get an emergency loan. 

Reckon Harvey will make it with us?

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Think Pearson said if Bentley goes then we’ll replace him. Wouldn’t feel comfortable in case MOL gets an injury