IGNORED

Mobile Phones

Markman

I have only had an iPhone when I was issued one at work and I found it awkward at first, but once you got used to it, it was fine. I have an iPod as well though so the interface was familiar. 

The Android phones are generally the same, but not as consistent as you might imagine, I have my daughter's old OnePlus and my wife has a Nokia and despite both being Android, the control buttons are quite different.

I have never used a Google phone, but I would imagine they will have their foibles as well, but if you have never known anything else, you probably won't notice. If you can get one on a good deal then I suggest going for it, all the Pixel phones after 5 have great reviews.

Maybe try it with a contract that is easy to get out of initially, in case you don't like it. We both have phones we bought separately and ID Mobile sims that cost £6 for unlimited calls and texts and 5gb data, which is plenty for us. Our daughters contract and phone costs her about £40! I tried to get her to change, but she said "only old people and drug dealers use ID Mobile" :) . I promise I am in the former group. ?

29 minutes ago, Markman said:

if you are not much of a technophobe - is there much difference between I Phone, Samsung and may Google Phones - saw one of the latter and the deal was much better but the phone looked the same?

Samsung and Google, for a technophobe I'd say both are similar.

iPhone has by far the most easy consumer usage, far cleaner, less pop ups etc. But you pay the premium for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markman said:

if you are not much of a technophobe - is there much difference between I Phone, Samsung and may Google Phones - saw one of the latter and the deal was much better but the phone looked the same?

My last phone was a OnePlus Nord - fantastic all-round phone at a great price. Nice camera, super-fast charging, great battery life. Apparently, the latest version, the Nord 2T, is better again. You can pick one up for less than £350

• Like 1

I’ve had iPhones for several years and find them excellent. IOS - once you get familiar with them very simple to use. My previous phone was a Blackberry! 

Its linked to my iPad so anything I do on my iPhone is automatically on my iPad. 

I bought my iPhone outright and just have a SIM card with Sky. 

I can’t see myself ever moving from Apple products.

• Like 2

I think if you're going for a premium phone nowadays, no matter what you get it's going to be pretty decent.

Sounds like you might be able to save a bit of money between the Samsung and the Google though - it would be easier to make an educated guess if you could share which models you're considering. The user experience between the 2 would be largely the same, but one might have an edge in terms of camera, battery time, price, etc.

Edited by nebristolred

I think you get more flexibility with Android phones,regarding apps etc.I have never really liked IPhones.My kids went through a spell of them but they have been back on Samsung for a few years now.

Wife has an iPhone something or other, and I have a Samsung S20.

Both about 2.5 - 3 years old and running fine. Her battery tends to last a few days still, but as she's a teacher she doesn't use it for large parts of the day.

I on the other hand, have to charge mine daily, but it gets heavy usage- browsing, games, Facebook, calls, WhatsApp, and work emails. 

Both phones are/were contract but we've gone onto sim only deals until something goes wrong with one/both, then we'll just get new again.

She doesn't like my phone - keyboard, interface etc, and I detest hers. I don't like the apple products personally but that's me.

Your best bet is to go into a phone shop, have a look at all 3 and a playabout with them. Carphone Warehouse have deals with most providers so should get more of a selection (and contract options if that's the way you want to go).

Alternatively go to a shop, have a look around, find what you like, and have a look online to see if they have better deals.

It does pay to actually see the phone and use it, as a few years ago I really liked the look of the latest iPhone at the time, and was quite open to changing. Just couldn't get used to it, and it was huge!

On 07/12/2022 at 22:35, Taz said:

Wife has an iPhone something or other, and I have a Samsung S20.

Both about 2.5 - 3 years old and running fine. Her battery tends to last a few days still, but as she's a teacher she doesn't use it for large parts of the day.

I on the other hand, have to charge mine daily, but it gets heavy usage- browsing, games, Facebook, calls, WhatsApp, and work emails. 

Both phones are/were contract but we've gone onto sim only deals until something goes wrong with one/both, then we'll just get new again.

She doesn't like my phone - keyboard, interface etc, and I detest hers. I don't like the apple products personally but that's me.

Your best bet is to go into a phone shop, have a look at all 3 and a playabout with them. Carphone Warehouse have deals with most providers so should get more of a selection (and contract options if that's the way you want to go).

Alternatively go to a shop, have a look around, find what you like, and have a look online to see if they have better deals.

It does pay to actually see the phone and use it, as a few years ago I really liked the look of the latest iPhone at the time, and was quite open to changing. Just couldn't get used to it, and it was huge!

What is it specifically you don’t like about apple products? 

28 minutes ago, Rob k said:

What is it specifically you don’t like about apple products? 

Main thing is the keyboard layout/spacing between characters. Most people probably won't find much of a difference, but I find them closer together than Samsung, and I have big fingers!!

Personal preference at the end of the day, and there are plenty that don't like Samsung/Android. 

I did have an Ipad quite a few years ago which was fine, just seems to be the phones I don't like.

Edited by Taz
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Taz said:

Main thing is the keyboard layout/spacing between characters. Most people probably won't find much of a difference, but I find them closer together than Samsung, and I have big fingers!!

Personal preference at the end of the day, and there are plenty that don't like Samsung/Android. 

I did have an Ipad quite a few years ago which was fine, just seems to be the phones I don't like.

My missus has a Samsung and loves it, have to say the camera on it is superb. I keep buying apple phones purely as i have enough charger leads for every room and both the cars ??

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Rob k said:

My missus has a Samsung and loves it, have to say the camera on it is superb. I keep buying apple phones purely as i have enough charger leads for every room and both the cars ??

I hate to break the news to you, but you'll need new chargers in a few years. ;) 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/oct/26/iphone-usb-c-lightning-connectors-apple-eu-rules

I am sure they have been discussing bringing all chargers in line for many years.No idea why things like this take so very long to implement. I have a ridiculous amount of various chargers in my house as I suspect do most people. Sorry the quote function seems to be playing up.on my phone. 

Edited by Slacker

Something that just works go with Apple, ideally the rest of your tech in your house needs to be apple to get the most out of it.  You pay a premium though, and I am not sure its worth it for ease of use, but I can understand them being the go to tool for those who are not interested in tinkering and just want a easy user experience.

Personally I like Samsung (great screens).. but I end up rebuilding it so its not full of vendor bloat.

If you go with a pixel you will get all the latest android updates much quicker than any other android phone... and you "should" get the best Android experience as the phone is bult for Android, rather than being shoehorned in to a phone brands such as Samsung, Nokia Huawei Sony etc etc etc

Having handed back my company mobile I needed a decent phone but had no interest in paying £400 for a new Android model or £600 for an iPhone. Sods law says I would probably drop it and break it the next day. There is insurance but didn't want the worry in the 1st place.

Instead I bought a 2nd hand Samsung phone online, exactly the same model as my work phone. Cost was £130 in excellent condition. Have had no problems at all though appreciate I am a sample of one. Only 4G, not 5G but that is fine for my needs.

Happened to have a look in the shop whilst on a job the other day and I have to say that the Oppo phones look quite decent.

Not come across them before and have certainly never used one in anger, but being a less well known brand may well mean that you will get more bang for your buck if you buy one.

I’ve had a Huawei P30 for 3 years now, it’s been great and I love the camera which I use a lot more than I ever phone anyone.

As things nowadays aren’t made to last very long I guess it won’t be long before I have to change but does anyone know if Huawei are still an option or am I right in thinking you can’t get Google apps any more?

Does anyone know if the Google Pixel mobiles have a decent camera?

9 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I’ve had a Huawei P30 for 3 years now, it’s been great and I love the camera which I use a lot more than I ever phone anyone.

As things nowadays aren’t made to last very long I guess it won’t be long before I have to change but does anyone know if Huawei are still an option or am I right in thinking you can’t get Google apps any more?

Does anyone know if the Google Pixel mobiles have a decent camera?

I have a Google pixel 7 and the camera is superb, probs the best thing about the phone!

• Thanks 1