IGNORED

Stoke City at home match thread

Just now, Bedred31 said:

We’ve lost £64m over the last two seasons. £64m. I really don’t think we’ll be bringing in 6/7 players in January. And if NP decides to stay, I’ll be pretty grateful. It’s pretty crap at present and I suspect it’s going to get a lot worse over the next 18 months or so. We’ve been here before and survived. We’ve been relegated before and bounced back. 

We have also been relagated before and dropped to the bottom which nearly killed us off, as with other posters ask yourself WHY have we lost 64m maybe poor selection choices and no not by the manager by the one who selects the manager

Just now, pillred said:

If results were as bad, surely you are not happy with current or past results/performances, we have been pretty awful for long periods with short (very) times when we look ok I and I'm sure you if your honest with yourself expected a bit more from our manager by now even allowing for all the excuses that keep being trotted out in his defence. 

I just can’t believe the easy ride he is given. Maybe it’s just the way of the world now. We see people in power in all sorts of industries at present getting away with doing an absolutely terrible job - yet people just respond with a ‘meh’ 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The new owners. Surely if we cannot call for a new manager without providing a name then the same should apply to a new owner?

Completely different discussions. With a manager you have a small base of known names, so it's plausible to name them. Owners? No. Its more you find out about them as they declare their interest. Look at the sheer diversity of those who go into club ownership. This debunks the validity of the point you are trying to make. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

7th largest city in England. Large hinterland for support. Not had top flight football for 40+ years. Overtaken by clubs like Bournemouth and Swansea. Looking at relegation rather than promotion. This is a failed project by Lansdown. And there is no evidence that he knows how to improve it.

Being a developing club that sells its best players but cannot actually improve its position in terms of league position is a seriously flawed plan. There is no profit to be made in the Championship, so why is there so little focus on success. It’s not like we can break even on the current strategy.

In the short term we need a manager that plays defenders in defence and stops conceding stupid goals. Teams that don’t concede don’t lose. We give away stupid goals playing 2 midfielders in central defence and we lose those games. Something has to change otherwise League 1 and derbies with the Sags await. That is not a prospect that fills me with any joy.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3
2 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Weimann has been missing all season 

In all fairness to him though has he been played in his best position? I think he's been very unfortunate to be in a situation where he's the only one good enough to start every game but also give so much that he's always played out of position. I think Weimann and Conway up front, Scott behind them and being told to run at defenders in the middle and our attack would be a nightmare to defend against but instead we always go wide, Scott doesn't attack the middle and we continue to bring on Martin and Semenyo who aren't offering anything.

Personally I think Pearson is trying to see out this season to get players like Bentley, Massengo, Dasilva, Kalas etc off of the books and free up some wages to bring in players who will give a lot more for their money. The issue is that it's taken far too long to run these contracts down. Massengo has shown he's unwilling to commit so he's been dropped, Bentley didn't command his area and was too set in his ways to change so he's been dropped to allow Max to come in who is willing to come for the ball. I can see DaSilva being worked out of the team now Pring is proving to be far better. I think martin will be gone, Klose will be gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kalas gone too and this is what will give Pearson his final shot at getting this squad where it needs to be.

Looking at the players we have now I think we could easily have a competitive team with those players leaving and being replaced with players more suited to this system.

If Wells goes too we could have a team of:

image.png.8fe6e5bcd6c67d8fcca3c7397a4331ad.png

Tanner offers the same attacking qualities as Naismith going forward allowing forward runs when not pressured, both are comfortable doing this. Vyner is better suited in the middle and had his best performance this season there. Pring offers more than DaSilva in every department at this point, better going forward, better at defending and his determination is far higher. Williams I think is questionable but with how many players will likely be going out I would say he may be likely to keep his place, the other cm would need to be a hard working midfielder, something we've lacked for a while now, an engine so to speak. Scott behind Weimann and Conway would give Weimann his chance to do what he does best, get in behind the defence and cause problems up front and most importantly get the chances he was getting when he was scoring for fun rather than being pinned deeper or out wide. Conway is the first choice striker IMO at this point, good footballing mind, loads of running, determined and hungry, he causes problems.

I think our biggest issue is that at this point Pearson has lost a lot of players because I think they know they're on the way out and they're not doing enough to win his favour so they've been benched. For all of Pearsons bad choices I think he's been brave enough to bench Bentley, I don't think any of our previous managers would have had the balls to make that call and stick with it. I also think he knows we have young, hungry talent and that he needs to get the old guard out to make the most of this squad as he needs those young hungry players surrounded by players who suit this system and offer depth in positions. 
At the moment we lack options on the right hand side, Sykes is a central midfielder who is being used as a right wing back, Weimann is a striker being used as a right wing back, come the summer if we bring in a right back and Wilson gets fit we've then got stability on that right hand side, Pring is coming on leaps and bounds on the left and Pearson has already said he wants another CB which would leave us with Naismith, Atkinson, Vyner, Tanner and the new signing even if we let Klose and Kalas go. 

I think Pearson will look to do the following:

Out:
Bentley
Massengo
DaSilva
Martin
Klose

In:
CB
RB
CM

I think Vyner may go out if he can land another CB he wants but with those 5 out that's a lot of wages to work with that I think would result in adding depth for each position.

GK's
O'Leary
Bajic

LB's
Pring

CB's
Atkinson
Vyner
Naismith
Tanner
New Signing

RB's
Wilson
New Signing

CM's
Williams
Sykes
James
New signing
King (sell)

CAM
Scott
Benarous

Strikers
Conway
Weimann
Semenyo

Depending on Towlers progress he could end up as a left back or a center back or both. With the big earners going out I think it'd free up a couple of extra signings too, especially if Semenyo is sold as Weimann could easily stay up front this way, Bell would get more game time and we could perhaps pick up a young striker if we don't have anyone progressing through the youth system.

I really think this is what Pearson is aiming for, he's just trying to make it through this season so he can get enough big earners out to free up money to make the changes he wants, not just the ones he needs. I just hope he can get the team getting results consistently before the board are forced to sack him and we end up bringing someone new in who may want to play a completely different system that we don't have the players for and we'll end up in another 2-3 season rebuild whilst trying to maintain our Championship status

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, An Outstanding Human said:

Completely different discussions. With a manager you have a small base of known names, so it's plausible to name them. Owners? No. Its more you find out about them as they declare their interest. Look at the sheer diversity of those who go into club ownership. This debunks the validity of the point you are trying to make. 

And there it is.

So- when suggesting a new manager is advisable, it seems only credible if it is accompanied by the name of the individual whereas suggesting a new owner does not require the same. 

The discussions are identical- it's about change.

25 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Why would getting rid of Pearson and getting a new manager cost £50m? How much COULD It cost this club if we carry on in the same vein? 

We have some tidy players here. We certainly shouldnt be talking about relegation. We need a coach who can first and foremost set us up to be hard to break down. We regularly gift two goals a game 

We have changed personell at the back over the 18-24 months he is been here and it’s the same issues this week as it was last week, the week before, 6 months ago etc etc 

When do we start looking at the one common factor in all of this?

Sorry you missed my point, unless you or I have £50m to spend on buying out Steve L, then our opinion of who should or shouldn’t be manager isn’t all that relevant, I’m interested in your ideas that’s all. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Could someone answer a question that's been on my mind for a while please?

Even if we had new owners, am I right in saying we couldn't spend anything anyway, regardless of intent, due to financial fair play constraints?

Is it just fresh ideas we would be getting?

Only way a change of ownership helps us is if the new buyer makes sure to buy the stadium as I don't think that is under the ownership of Bristol City anymore and they would have to be willing and able to inject money into the club whilst staying within the FFP, I personally don't know how they would do that but it would certainly cost them a small fortune and being as the richest Bristol City supporter we know of already owns the club I don't see how selling to a non supporter of the club will help us out as they'll be looking to make money from the club, not keep handing it to the club because they support it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Even if we had new owners, am I right in saying we couldn't spend anything anyway, regardless of intent, due to financial fair play constraints?

I think that DaveFevs or Mr Pops are your best bets to explain in detail, but yes, I do think that financial rules, coupled with a disastrous player recruitment policy in recent years are probably key factors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

Sorry you missed my point, unless you or I have £50m to spend on buying out Steve L, then our opinion of who should or shouldn’t be manager isn’t all that relevant, I’m interested in your ideas that’s all. 

No it isn’t all that relevant, however this is a forum….a place for opinions and thoughts to be discussed 

As for who I would want. I genuinely don’t know, but as I mentioned before - I would happily give someone a go now who is young and fresh in the game. We’ve seen both QPR and Preston take a punt with someone younger and ambitious

I was over the moon with Pearson, however he is very much a yesterday manager. We have not progressed one bit. I’d argue that the only areas we have progressed is down to the unbelievable work Tinnion and the academy coaches are doing 

• Like 3

Frustrating performance which think is broadly reflective of the season to date, ie frustrating rather than awful (or good). King will get blamed for the two goals, which is fair up to a point, but he was distinctly hindered, rather than helped, by his team mates, including Max who I think delivers quite a low percentage of saves from eminently saveable chances. If enough wages freed up, think a GK might be on NP’s priority list. Also think we need to get more clinical at creating good chances, we often get into good positions, but create half chances or no chances from those positions. 

With this system, I’d drop Weimann as playing him too far out of position for him to contribute effectively. And not sure he’s the ideal captain as seems to get frustrated with refs (admittedly today’s was awful), rather than try to win them over or understand what they like/don’t like. 

Overall, season to date, think we’ve seen both enough promise and enough weaknesses to think relegation is unlikely, but so is getting to the top half. Very few teams in this league are consistent, maybe only Burnley, and a lot of that is do with reasonably evenly matched teams, meaning results are often determined by an incident here or there, rather than total domination by one side or the other. Don’t really see that changing either positively or negatively for us.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Spot on.... Elon Musk could buy the club tomorrow and we still couldn't spend any major money on new players, unless the FFP experts can advise otherwise?

We are in a serious relegation battle and if Nige is still in charge in 6 weeks time then i really hope we have been creative in the transfer market and have managed to bring a few new faces in, or Accrington away is a distinct possibility next season

• Thanks 1