IGNORED

Stoke City at home match thread

Just now, Numero Uno said:

That was ******* abysmal, no other description for it. Worst defeat for a long time. Stoke we’re shit and we gave them 3 points. Not interested in a word Nige has got to say after sitting through that.

I can't understand that after a really good spell for 15-20 mins first half we then sat back and let them into it before HT.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Who are the alternatives you’d suggest out of interest? And available without a fee or for very little. 

I would rather take a punt on a newbie like QPR and Ipswich have done / did. 

Almost 2 years in charge and we are still just as vulnerable at the back as we’re when he joined. And that’s regardless of the change in playing personnel 

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I haven't defended the performance.

My question is why certain people were nowhere to be seen after a win last week yet are all over it like a dose of the clap today.

Fair comment NR. I would hope I'm not included in that number.

I, like many, try to find positives in a defeat but am struggling today. Let's be honest, we stank the Gate out today, it was awful.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, redkev said:

Star players , not many out there today .

conway & Scott decent , that’s it 

I was using the term loosely, but there may well be some monies through either sale of “assets” or off-loading wages of those that won’t be here next season.

Basically, something needs to give. What’s the point in an experienced manager who will come with a commensurate wage if you won’t/can’t back him.

Edited by Sturgess
  • Like 1
Just now, Andy082005 said:

As I’ve said before, I can throw around suggestions but that isn’t my job. Surely you don’t truely believe this is the best this squad of players can do!?

I cannot believe people still believe the current performance and form over the last 6-12 months is acceptable. 

I’m interested as to where your mind is football wise, clearly this is a forum, so unless one of us is sitting on £50m to spaff up the wall on a football club, the. No one’s opinion is going to matter.

I’m not going to argue that todays performance was even close to being marginally acceptable, and you are fully entitled to be critical, but make the debate interesting rather than a rant.

6 minutes ago, Sturgess said:

I've steadfastly supported Pearson and the challenges he's faced with constrained ability to make signings, but the January transfer window really does feel pivotal, as without some quality additions, this really is shaping up for a relegation battle. The board need to make some money available (even if it's through offloading some "star players") or let Pearson go.

Completely agree. I would take any reasonable offer Semenyo/Bentley/Dasilva and invest in a CB who can head the ball and a CM who can run.

I've always thought Pearson is the right man for where we are, and still do for the moment but we're far too easy to play against and I don't think he's helped that in recent games with the way he's set us up.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Oh and good to see some familiar back on the thread.

Missed you last week ?

? we`ve all had a nice int break and now we are back, nothings changed the slide continues ...WBA, Millwall Coventry, Swansea, Brum must be shi1ting themselves seeing us coming for them.

We need to change and no not in the transfer window that could but wont save us either.

The big man is not for changing though and he will let NP take us to where he takes us and that imo will be the next div down, unless we are very, very lucky.

Edited by gl2

Poor game. Until the 88th minute, Stoke had two chances, both gifted to them by a bloke who is not a central defender. Meanwhile, we have a perfectly good central defender not in the 18. I don’t understand it. Unless someone tells me Rob Atkinson is, for some reason, unavailable. He seems to have been out of favour since the Lincoln game despite doing well for us generally. 
Seem familiar? See Cam Pring. Who surprise surprise is not doing too badly now he’s in the team. 
And how does Chris Martin make the 18 when we have Semenyo and Bell to come on? 

Edited by firstdivision

Thought we had a chance for equaliser then Martin come on. Semenyo thought was at least trying to make things happen. Then was thrown wide for CM and barely had a touch. 

2 of the softest goals you will see. Time and time again players are left unattended by anyone in a city shirt in or near our penalty area. A long straight ball that should be dealt with knocked down and free man edge of area. Second one think it was good initial defending by possibly Pring but deflected fell to them unmarked in our area yet again. We actually carved our goal out a bit by individual play something they did not really threaten with. To come away 2-1 losers really irks because they look avoidable by most other sides. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lennieb said:

I cant really believe the management kept telling our blokes to keep hitting long balls against souttar surely, I'm not a pearson fan but f##k me surely the senior players need to have a look at themselves 

He didn’t tell Max to shout for the first goal and not get there either. However when the overall display is as poor as that he has to take responsibility.

2 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I’m interested as to where your mind is football wise, clearly this is a forum, so unless one of us is sitting on £50m to spaff up the wall on a football club, the. No one’s opinion is going to matter.

I’m not going to argue that todays performance was even close to being marginally acceptable, and you are fully entitled to be critical, but make the debate interesting rather than a rant.

Why would getting rid of Pearson and getting a new manager cost £50m? How much COULD It cost this club if we carry on in the same vein? 

We have some tidy players here. We certainly shouldnt be talking about relegation. We need a coach who can first and foremost set us up to be hard to break down. We regularly gift two goals a game 

We have changed personell at the back over the 18-24 months he is been here and it’s the same issues this week as it was last week, the week before, 6 months ago etc etc 

When do we start looking at the one common factor in all of this?

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Why would getting rid of Pearson and getting a new manager cost £50m? How much COULD It cost this club if we carry on in the same vein? 

We have some tidy players here. We certainly shouldnt be talking about relegation. We need a coach who can first and foremost set us up to be hard to break down. We regularly gift two goals a game 

We have changed personell at the back over the 18-24 months he is been here and it’s the same issues this week as it was last week, the week before, 6 months ago etc etc 

When do we start looking at the one common factor in all of this?

You need to look above Nige then…….three years or so we’ve been treading water.

• Thanks 1

We’ve lost £64m over the last two seasons. £64m. I really don’t think we’ll be bringing in 6/7 players in January. And if NP decides to stay, I’ll be pretty grateful. It’s pretty crap at present and I suspect it’s going to get a lot worse over the next 18 months or so. We’ve been here before and survived. We’ve been relegated before and bounced back. 

1 minute ago, Bedred31 said:

We’ve lost £64m over the last two seasons. £64m. I really don’t think we’ll be bringing in 6/7 players in January. And if NP decides to stay, I’ll be pretty grateful. It’s pretty crap at present and I suspect it’s going to get a lot worse over the next 18 months or so. We’ve been here before and survived. We’ve been relegated before and bounced back. 

It took a long time to bounce back to the Championship last time 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yeah. Probably shouldn't count it then.

Not even sure why you want him gone when you'll only turn on the next one after about 6 games.

If results were as bad, surely you are not happy with current or past results/performances, we have been pretty awful for long periods with short (very) times when we look ok I and I'm sure you if your honest with yourself expected a bit more from our manager by now even allowing for all the excuses that keep being trotted out in his defence. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2