IGNORED

Stoke City at home match thread

This game marks the midway point of our league season, they're the only team we're yet to play. A win will see us on 30pts, therefore on course for 60 which is comfortable survival. It'll be very nice to be back at the Gate after such an extended leave, let's drum up a real atmosphere to welcome the team home ready to take the points.

• Like 1

In a season where I personally don’t think we’ve had the rub of the green in many games, tomorrow’s game is a reminder that last season we had two victories against Stoke and it’s fair to say we had a touch of things going our way in both games.

I’m not saying we were extra lucky in both but both games could certainly have gone either way.

I’m not sure my Stoke supporting wife will be speaking to me on the journey home if it happens again………..but here’s hoping! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Interesting insight from Alex Neill

‘I’m not asking anybody to go around kicking people but the problem you’ve got is, when they break on you, and you can sense there’s a danger, the ball and man can’t get the wrong side of you. If the ball gets past you, the man stays there, and vice versa.’ 

Seems a tactic made for Alex Scott! 

Ah bugger, I’d forgotten Alex Neil was with Stoke. He always seems to have our number!

For what it's worth; here's their opinion.

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/306856/team-bristol-city

I reckon he's going to drop Baker, I've also got a feeling he might return to a back three:
Bonham
Clarke
Souttar
Wilmot
Sterling
Kilkenny
Thompson
Tymon
Campbell
Delap
Fosu

I'm going for a 1-1 draw, Andreas Weimann will get his routine goal against us to cancel out Campbell's early opener......... 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Stoke still give their fans free coach travel so I think they will bring a few.

Earlier in the week I saw they’d sold fewer than a thousand, that might be over by now but it won’t be as many as it might be if it wasn’t black Saturday, freezing weather, train strike, on the red button and they couldn’t beat Cardiff at home last week.

I noticed they’re the first club to issue a Bristol clean air zone warning to their fans. Does anyone know how it’s going? I’ve not heard anything about it since it’s been up and running. 

54 minutes ago, Bizyer said:

@Jerseybean great summary as always? . Thanks very much for taking the time to do this as it's much appreciated. 

I'm over from Spain for my first 'live' game of the season and hoping for a good  game or at least 3 points.  COYR

Thank you Bizyer, here’s wishing you a great afternoon and three points COYR. 

• Thanks 1
  • SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Great write up as always Jerseybean, interesting bit about the Coates family,

Yep, really good write-up, thanks.

Picking hairs, one slight correction re Peter Coates' involvement with Signal Radio (as it was called at launch). Having joined the pre-launch team there in summer 1983 (moving from Radio West), I would say that's wrong to call Peter the 'founder'. He may well have been one of the many shareholders and even a non-exec director, but he was not chairman in the first few years. He only took up that role some time later. So, I don't think it can be said that he 'founded' the station. He's certainly done a lot of good for Stoke as a place, though, over the years.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, 22A said:

For what it's worth; here's their opinion.

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/306856/team-bristol-city

I reckon he's going to drop Baker, I've also got a feeling he might return to a back three:
Bonham
Clarke
Souttar
Wilmot
Sterling
Kilkenny
Thompson
Tymon
Campbell
Delap
Fosu

I'm going for a 1-1 draw, Andreas Weimann will get his routine goal against us to cancel out Campbell's early opener......... 

It's like reading OTIB! In fact, if you blank out their player references, you'd think you were reading OTIB. You'd react angrily by telling the poster that Baker isn't playing because he had to retire due to a terrible injury!

• Like 1