IGNORED

3 not offered deals..

GrahamC

On 23/12/2022 at 19:34, The Bard said:

Not necessarily.  Every other club will be doing the same unless it's run by madmen.  

No it doesn't at all, it just proves OUR club has been run by mad men and it was allowed to happen by those at the top. Doesn't mean all clubs are in the same boat at all 

• Thanks 1

On 23/12/2022 at 19:51, Davefevs said:

Yep, as per an earlier post, RG has said clubs across the champ are cutting back…he estimated on average by about 1/3rd.  We are no different to many other clubs.  A player on £14k p.w. (Average salary in champ pre-Covid) are now looking at £9/10k p.w.  Hence why we are still trying to pay competitive(ish) salaries but no fees.

those Parachute payments looking even more bias towards giving ex-prem teams a MASSIVE avantage over the rest of us

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Red Cloud said:

those Parachute payments looking even more bias towards giving ex-prem teams a MASSIVE avantage over the rest of us

I don't think it makes too much difference over what is already a thoroughly inequitable affair. Football clubs at all levels like to look after themselves, and its not really surprising to see that the Premier League like to look after their own, even when that means 4-5 clubs rotate around the top two divisions a bit. You can almost guarantee that if ever parachute payments stop, the PL withdraw from the promotion/relegation agreement with the Football League.

Nothing in football seems to be done for the ultimate benefit of the game. Certainly not at the money end of things anyway. So f'ing pathetic.

• Like 2

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-nigel-pearson-martin-8023370

Klose:

When asked if he was one of the players City were hoping to offload this month, Pearson responded: "Yes. It’s best for us to give you something concrete when it happens rather than get involved in speculation. Timm has been in discussion with the club."

Martin:

When asked about Martin's future, Pearson responded: "He’s a player that knows exactly where he stands as do a number of players. What is also important is we don’t cut our nose off to spite our face.

"We have to remain competitive during the rest of the season with injuries being as they are, you’ll see from selection the direction we are going in. We’ve had enquiries about players but it just remains that, there has been tentative enquiries but not a lot going on really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Despite Richard Forrester reporting this as Martin being “free to leave” that wasn’t how I interpreted it at all. I think he’s already been told that he won’t be getting another contract but with Weimann & Conway now injured we’ll make use of him (I reckon he’ll be on the bench on Saturday) unless he moves on this month.

Klose appears from this to be in discussions to end his contract.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Despite Richard Forrester reporting this as Martin being “free to leave” that wasn’t how I interpreted it at all. I think he’s already been told that he won’t be getting another contract but with Weimann & Conway now injured we’ll make use of him (I reckon he’ll be on the bench on Saturday) unless he moves on this month.

Agree. The cutting your nose off comment suggests we aren't going to leave ourselves short by letting him go when we have TC and AW injured. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

That’s how I read it too.

On 23/12/2022 at 21:52, The Bard said:

Massengo is one of the most confusing players we've ever had.  Clearly highly regarded.  Eye catching, but when you've watched him a few times you start to think 'what does he actually do.  What kind of midfielder is he?'.  Statistically poor, but we look lively when he's playing.  No goal threat. Little in terms of creativity. He sometimes plays as if he has no concept of the game except running around after the ball.

Given the above and his refusal to sign a contract, I think Nige has rightly decided he's down the pecking order.  He's not committed in the long term and you don't know what you're going to get from him.  Different to a player like Dasilva. If he has openly said he wouldn't sign a contract and was going to leave, you'd still know what you're going to get as a manager, so you'd be more inclined to play him.

Dasilva not good enough mate pring twice the player Massengo runs around aimlessly but adds more energy than james or williams and king for that matter we must have the slowest midfield in championship .

Yeah, the main doubt is about Klose.

Overall Martin has been very good last season, and except for a few bad days, Klose seemed to have a positive influence on our defence....so seeing both becoming out of favour at the same time sounds strange from a footballing perspective. The difference is that Martin's situation could be linked with Conway's unexpected explosion, whereas for a defence with many injuries and mistakes in it, the Swiss could have been more involved on paper.

Anyway, both could be at least reliable reserves...so I guess the problems could be the following:

A) not being able to guarantee a consistent level of fitness anymore;

B) wages and/or contractual reasons (obstacle to trasnfer plans?);

C) a mix of the two factors.

Another option could be a fall out with Pearson or other players, but they both seemed to have a professional attitude, so I'd be surprised if that was one of the reasons.

Massengo is a different matter, and the B option should be the simple answer.

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

Would Chris Martin get a deal at any other club in the championship? This is the threshold we must apply. Sentiment must have no place as Nige wields the axe. 

He'll go to a L1 club I imagine, still be very handy in that league.

Maybe Derby take him back on a 6 month deal to help with their promotion push?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Maybe Derby take him back on a 6 month deal to help with their promotion push?

Worth noting that they can't pay fees, loan fees and they are under a club wage cap or football side of it anyway so that might limit scope for a deal to be done.

By wage I mean total remuneration not just the basics. Possibly on an average divided by squad size too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous