IGNORED

3 not offered deals..

GrahamC

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Worrying that NP says players offered new contracts are being offered less money.He said ‘That’s where we are’.  Thus it will mean less chances of recruiting if other Championship clubs interested in the same player.

what a condemnation of the way the club has been run.

99% of players are being offered less money as the gravy train has been derailed. No more 30,000 quid a week for average Championship players.They will have to accept that those days are gone. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Roe said:

I don't think Massengo really chose to run the clock down in this way as such so it's a bit harsh imo.

Its not like he's said he doesn't want to play and you can't force someone sign a contract. 

I understand Pearson's stance on it to a point but it also seems pretty silly in a lot of ways 

Massengo is one of the most confusing players we've ever had.  Clearly highly regarded.  Eye catching, but when you've watched him a few times you start to think 'what does he actually do.  What kind of midfielder is he?'.  Statistically poor, but we look lively when he's playing.  No goal threat. Little in terms of creativity. He sometimes plays as if he has no concept of the game except running around after the ball.

Given the above and his refusal to sign a contract, I think Nige has rightly decided he's down the pecking order.  He's not committed in the long term and you don't know what you're going to get from him.  Different to a player like Dasilva. If he has openly said he wouldn't sign a contract and was going to leave, you'd still know what you're going to get as a manager, so you'd be more inclined to play him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

Do you think this partly explains Bentleys dropping from the team?

If, like the massengo situation, Bents has made it clear he won’t re-sign (or won’t unless it’s a pay increase) then NP might have chosen to leave him out if he’s not ‘committed’ to the long term?

No.  He had an absolute howler after a few indifferent performances and was rightly dropped.

Worrying that NP says players offered new contracts are being offered less money.He said ‘That’s where we are’.  Thus it will mean less chances of recruiting if other Championship clubs interested in the same player.

The reduction in wages for renewal contracts outside of the Premier League is due mainly to Covid and secondly in our case to previous stupidity by employees now departed. Other clubs have coped better than City maybe because they didn't start with a squad approaching fifty players with a majority such a poor standard.

All we can hope forl now is that we are able to recruit a couple of Championship quality for central back four and defensive midfield.

• Like 1

I should imagine a lot of clubs are in the same boat (bar the parachute payment clubs) the land of milk and honey may be coming to an end, we are still an attractive club for a lot of potential recruits I mean look at what we can offer training ground, stadium, good support, and that's before you look around at the city itself.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Why should he accept and sign a new contract if he does not believe its good enough? Does that make him at fault, its been a difficult period with covid and contracts may now be changing but it's the players decision if he accepts the offer and the clubs decision on how much they offer or decide to sell when protecting an asset 

1 hour ago, Roe said:

I don't think Massengo really chose to run the clock down in this way as such so it's a bit harsh imo.

Its not like he's said he doesn't want to play and you can't force someone sign a contract. 

I understand Pearson's stance on it to a point but it also seems pretty silly in a lot of ways 

FWIW on the grapevine, the contract he’s been offered is exactly the same as he’s on now, so a straight extension basically as the club don’t see how his importance to us has gone up since he joined. Could be BS rumour, but also isn’t exactly a wild one so maybe not that far off what could be true, and I’d totally back the club on that if it was the case 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

FWIW on the grapevine, the contract he’s been offered is exactly the same as he’s on now, so a straight extension basically as the club don’t see how his importance to us has gone up since he joined. Could be BS rumour, but also isn’t exactly a wild one so maybe not that far off what could be true, and I’d totally back the club on that if it was the case 

It’s common knowledge that the club have to reduce the wage bill - all to do with FFP (which I know very little about).

No doubt the entire squad, coaches and every employee at City are aware of that.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, petehinton said:

FWIW what's said on the grapevine is meaningless BS, as anyone can make up something and pass off as fact, but as we don't know this is correct we cannot judge him on it.

FWIW  we don't know why he has not signed, is it terms, does he want to move away for non football reasons, is it frustration over lack of opportunity ( I think he has been hard done by sometimes being dropped after playing well), but the longer it went on and playing less, why would you sign, it seems to me Han has always been more about his own development 

I also blame the club, why let it drag if they knew he was unlikely to sign, they should have found a move, or sat around the table to understand and remove the obstacles stopping him signing a new contract.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

The blame of the financial mess the club got into  lies wholesale on the shoulders of Smarmy Ashton and his side kick Lee Johnson.

Nige inherited a shambles of a club and we’re still feeling the consequences of the damage caused by our previous CEO.

I agree but still cant see why pearson plays square pegs in round holes such as playing players they are not savvy to. Or out of position

10 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Edited by Cityboy1954
Duplicated

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Pete, it’s what I’ve heard too…it facilitates us getting compo from either the English or FIFA compo schemes.  It’s worth us doing that for the compo itself, as he’s made it clear he isn’t gonna sign.  It probably highlights how much of a wage we gave him 3.5 years ago.  I guess if you’re gonna attract a kid from Monaco aged 18, you’re not gonna offer him peanuts.

He’s not getting pelters from the fan base because Nige has said he’s more than happy to play if selected.  It’s Nige who isn’t selecting him.  If it were me I’d be picking him.  But I get why Nige isn’t.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, petehinton said:

HNM wanting to run the clock down despite having a contract offer sitting there for 18 months, aka run his contract down and leave for free…

How many players could get away with doing that yet still seemingly be loved by fans? Imagine if a Palmer/Moore type had done it… people would be baying for blood. 

Personally think HNM is the biggest fraud of a signing we’ve ever made. He’s offered nothing since he’s been here apart from big hair, running around and a decent chant. I’m absolutely baffled how our fans have been so chilled with him. Keep hearing potential, but you’ve got to start showing it more consistently than he has, rather than 1 good game in 10. 

Alex Scott is 100000x better in EVERY department. 

• Like 6

I fail to see any real improvement in his game. He doesn't:-

Score goals. Create assists to goals. Not a solid defensive midfielder.

If he was a young British instead of French, he would probably have played the same number of first team games as Morton and Owers to name a couple of current squad who are roughly the same age.

2 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Personally think HNM is the biggest fraud of a signing we’ve ever made. He’s offered nothing since he’s been here apart from big hair, running around and a decent chant. I’m absolutely baffled how our fans have been so chilled with him. Keep hearing potential, but you’ve got to start showing it more consistently than he has, rather than 1 good game in 10. 

Blimey, it’s like the last few years never happened based on that first sentence.

I’m not his biggest fan, but he’s given us more than Palmer or Watkins for starters.

He played in the Champions League at 18 FFS, no, he might not be as good as Alex Scott, which seeing as he’s our best teenager in decades is a very high bar, but he’s also nowhere near as poor as you suggest here.

• Like 3

HNM certainly divides the fan base. I watched his debut in the cup at QPR, sat amongst the home fans. They thought (as I did) that he was the new messiah. For whatever reason its hasn't wworked out - he hasn't developed nearly as much as you'd be entitled to expect. I think even during this period of contract angst he's generally done ok when selected (had some 'mares but who, in our squad hasnt).

Whilst I'd rather we flog a player for ££ I don't have anything against them running down their contract, with the proviso that they still need to be professional & give everything when they get selected. I don't think anyone can seriously suggest he's lacked efforts whilst playing (moreso, some of it may be misguided).

It will be intersting to see where he ends up for the majority of his career I'm terms of the level he plays at. I wouldn't be shocked if he holds down a place at a lower club in the Bundesliga or Ligue 1, but I'd not be amazed if he sinks lower down.

The real shame is that during the height of his popularity, he never scored a winner in the last minute in front of the South St, that would have created some noise.

9 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

FWIW what's said on the grapevine is meaningless BS, as anyone can make up something and pass off as fact, but as we don't know this is correct we cannot judge him on it.

FWIW  we don't know why he has not signed, is it terms, does he want to move away for non football reasons, is it frustration over lack of opportunity ( I think he has been hard done by sometimes being dropped after playing well), but the longer it went on and playing less, why would you sign, it seems to me Han has always been more about his own development 

I also blame the club, why let it drag if they knew he was unlikely to sign, they should have found a move, or sat around the table to understand and remove the obstacles stopping him signing a new contract…..FWIW we don’t know they haven’t sat around a table or if anyone is actually interested in a backward/sideway passing, non goal scoring, hardly assisting midfielder without pace, an inability to shoot or drop a pass forward without under hitting it or over hitting it. One thing is a racing certainty we would have offered him a contract mind you! 

HNM - 0 Goals and 1 or 2 assists? I know that's not his only job, but a midfielder of his talent must be showing a bit more than that. Even Nagy grabbed a few whilst he was here.

Bags of potential but has never showed anywhere near enough consistency to do well here. Obviously thinks he's too good for City and this level (which he is not). See ya HNM.

5 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Jeez, biggest fraud???

He’s had plenty of good games, and bad ones…he’s inconsistent.  Even this season he’s played well, e.g. Coventry (cup), Luton, Cardiff.  Only started 7 games!  Was shit at Birmingham.

He’s 21, consistency may or may not come.  There are plenty of players in our squad much older who aren’t consistent.  It’s an easy stick to beat him with.  The whole team is inconsistent, don’t forget.

It is all about opinions though.

I will be very disappointed when he leaves, 1) financial reasons for sure, but 2) because I think someone else is gonna get a player who will improve.  I don’t think he’s a great fit for the way we currently play.  But he ain’t a fraud by any stretch of the imagination.  I couldn’t give a toss about his hair either, shave it off for all I care.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, petehinton said:

Even if true that's pretty irrelevant imo. He could've been offered 10x the wages and it's still up to him if he wanted to sign the contract 

It's just a bit of an odd stance in a sport where almost all players move around every 2 to 3 years for various reasons

For Massengo to be effectively frozen out for so long seems counter productive. We've now lost any value on the pitch, and his transfer value is now likely to be 0 or whatever the fee works out for players under whatever age its set to

I imagine Massengo's side of the story could paint a pretty poor picture of our club in a lot of ways

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Bard said:

Bentley confirmed some time ago that his people were talking to the club.  That to me indicates that we have made an offer, but it obviously hasn't been accepted.  The 3 told look elsewhere are bound to be either nowhere near the team (Moore/Morton) or just getting too old (Klose / Martin). 

Thanks for the info. It makes good sense to keep dialogue open whilst Max hasn't agreed a new contract, and I'd be disappointed not to see Max here next season.

18 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Blimey O'Reilly. Losing £20-£30 million a year is a condemnation of the way the club was run. Almost failing FPP is a condemnation is a condemnation of the way the club was run. This is reality biting, and is showing the club are trying to get a grip and move forward on a better footing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Jeez, biggest fraud???

He’s had plenty of good games, and bad ones…he’s inconsistent.  Even this season he’s played well, e.g. Coventry (cup), Luton, Cardiff.  Only started 7 games!  Was shit at Birmingham.

He’s 21, consistency may or may not come.  There are plenty of players in our squad much older who aren’t consistent.  It’s an easy stick to beat him with.  The whole team is inconsistent, don’t forget.

It is all about opinions though.

I will be very disappointed when he leaves, 1) financial reasons for sure, but 2) because I think someone else is gonna get a player who will improve.  I don’t think he’s a great fit for the way we currently play.  But he ain’t a fraud by any stretch of the imagination.  I couldn’t give a toss about his hair either, shave it off for all I care.

The problem with HNM was the club overpaying for him in the first place. Take that burden away and he's still a good prospect. I'm sad that he wants to leave, but can't really blame him.

• Thanks 1