IGNORED

Match Report: Pearson comes out swinging as City dominate draw at the Den

Olé

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

It's a good report and usual @Olé but I struggle to see how Atkinson doesn't get at least equal with others on 7. I thought James was very good too, he got through a lot of work against a physical midfield.

Changed it for you. ? I didn't have a strong opinion on Atkinson, my main view was Vyner was brilliant and conversely Naismith repeatedly looked like a mistake waiting to happen. I did Atkinson a disservice by him being somewhere scored in between.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

It's a good report and usual @Olé but I struggle to see how Atkinson doesn't get at least equal with others on 7. I thought James was very good too, he got through a lot of work against a physical midfield.

Agreed. 
Having been very critical of late, I can happily say that I was very pleased and actually rather proud of that performance last night. 
Of course, my theory is going to be that playing Atkinson as the central, ball winning CB certainly helps, playing a right back at right back helps, playing Weimann in his best position helps and playing Scott (ie someone with good legs) next to James helps. All things that hopefully Pearson realises and will make a better effort to do going forward! 

Regards the ratings:

O’Leary - 5 - didn’t have a save to make and distribution wasn’t really very good. 

Tanner - 6 - Had a slow start, but grew into it. Burey did for him at one point and it had me worried but he learnt from that. Couple of poor defensive headers led to a heart-stopping scramble in the box, but otherwise he generally did ok. 

Pring - 6 - Worked hard, tried to be a threat going forward, but didn’t manage to beat his man and make as many crosses as usual, but generally defended his box well enough. 

Vyner - 8 - Man of the Match. Solid performance, covered well both inside and outside to help Tanner. Passing was a bit hit and Miss again though. 

Atkinson - 7 - Great to see Rob in the central role of the 3, where he can be the dominant ball winner. Couple of hairy moments early on, but he pretty much won everything that came his way, which was his main duty on the night. 

Naismith - 6 - As you said Ole, couple of nervy moments where he nearly lost the ball in his own half again. He had me worried. I’ve liked him in the LCB role previously as it gives him more scope to play channel balls than when he plays central, but his passing was generally off last night. 

James - 7 - I’ve been critical of James, but I was very happy with him last night. Worked very hard. I liked that. 

Scott - 7 - Better from Alex last night after a quiet game last time. Having better legs than Williams meant a more tight combination with Scott & James, which allowed them both to play naturally and not worry about whether the other one might not recover position. 

Weimann - 6 - I’m glad he was back in his best role. Just gives us the extra energy in midfield that we need and his wandering runs confuse the opposition. However, the chances fell his way and he fluffed his lines. But I’m happy that he was in the right places to get those chances. 

Conway - 5 - Effort was certainly there but he had a tough time against the physicality of the Millwall defence. We didn’t really feed him in the channels (see Naismith comment earlier), so he had to battle with his back to goal, and found it tough. 

Semenyo - 6 - I’d give him 5 for the first half and 7 for the 2nd. Struggled hugely early on. 2nd half improvement, but even when off his game like last night, his overall presence remains a threat to the opposition. 

Wells - 7 - Excellent from Nahki. Really changed the game. Dropped, linked, played, hassled and showed great desire. Really happy with that. 

Pearson - 8 - Yes I’ve been one of his biggest critics, but I’ve wanted him to get more from this squad, that I know they are capable of. Last night proved this. The team was set up much better, players in natural positions, allowing complimentary partnerships (Scott/James, Tanner/Vyner) and giving us the extra energy in midfield which we’ve lacked recently. 
Much better Nige. Keep playing it simple like that and we’ve got every chance. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

Excellent report @Ole but to slightly disagree (& agree with @Harry) I think you have undermarked Wells, thought he was better than either of the starting strikers & was the catalyst for our late chances with his excellent touch & hard work.

Certain to start against Coventry, I think based on Pearson’s post match comment about him being fresh for then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

But..... but..... I was told Pearson had "lost the dressing room"

Those people who said that were real experts too! Know their stuff, insider information and all that.....

Surely no one would post things that were wrong, being negative for the sake of it would they? For the sake of their own personal agenda?

Would they?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Those people who said that were real experts too! Know their stuff, insider information and all that.....

Surely no one would post things that were wrong, being negative for the sake of it would they? For the sake of their own personal agenda?

Would they?

I’ve been critical of Pearson recently but nobody with half a brain could think he has ever lost the dressing room. I’ve never doubted the players effort levels. Plenty of things to criticise without people making stuff up 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed. 
Having been very critical of late, I can happily say that I was very pleased and actually rather proud of that performance last night. 
Of course, my theory is going to be that playing Atkinson as the central, ball winning CB certainly helps, playing a right back at right back helps, playing Weimann in his best position helps and playing Scott (ie someone with good legs) next to James helps. All things that hopefully Pearson realises and will make a better effort to do going forward! 

Regards the ratings:

O’Leary - 5 - didn’t have a save to make and distribution wasn’t really very good. 

Tanner - 6 - Had a slow start, but grew into it. Burey did for him at one point and it had me worried but he learnt from that. Couple of poor defensive headers led to a heart-stopping scramble in the box, but otherwise he generally did ok. 

Pring - 6 - Worked hard, tried to be a threat going forward, but didn’t manage to beat his man and make as many crosses as usual, but generally defended his box well enough. 

Vyner - 8 - Man of the Match. Solid performance, covered well both inside and outside to help Tanner. Passing was a bit hit and Miss again though. 

Atkinson - 7 - Great to see Rob in the central role of the 3, where he can be the dominant ball winner. Couple of hairy moments early on, but he pretty much won everything that came his way, which was his main duty on the night. 

Naismith - 6 - As you said Ole, couple of nervy moments where he nearly lost the ball in his own half again. He had me worried. I’ve liked him in the LCB role previously as it gives him more scope to play channel balls than when he plays central, but his passing was generally off last night. 

James - 7 - I’ve been critical of James, but I was very happy with him last night. Worked very hard. I liked that. 

Scott - 7 - Better from Alex last night after a quiet game last time. Having better legs than Williams meant a more tight combination with Scott & James, which allowed them both to play naturally and not worry about whether the other one might not recover position. 

Weimann - 6 - I’m glad he was back in his best role. Just gives us the extra energy in midfield that we need and his wandering runs confuse the opposition. However, the chances fell his way and he fluffed his lines. But I’m happy that he was in the right places to get those chances. 

Conway - 5 - Effort was certainly there but he had a tough time against the physicality of the Millwall defence. We didn’t really feed him in the channels (see Naismith comment earlier), so he had to battle with his back to goal, and found it tough. 

Semenyo - 6 - I’d give him 5 for the first half and 7 for the 2nd. Struggled hugely early on. 2nd half improvement, but even when off his game like last night, his overall presence remains a threat to the opposition. 

Wells - 7 - Excellent from Nahki. Really changed the game. Dropped, linked, played, hassled and showed great desire. Really happy with that. 

Pearson - 8 - Yes I’ve been one of his biggest critics, but I’ve wanted him to get more from this squad, that I know they are capable of. Last night proved this. The team was set up much better, players in natural positions, allowing complimentary partnerships (Scott/James, Tanner/Vyner) and giving us the extra energy in midfield which we’ve lacked recently. 
Much better Nige. Keep playing it simple like that and we’ve got every chance. 

Was there the hint that we are rotating players in certain positions because we have 3 games in 7 days?  He's always been averse to this which is detrimental in the long term.  If we start with Semenyo and Wells on Sunday, it will mean he's actually started each striker twice in 3 games with the other on the bench. I felt Semenyo benefitted from being left on the pitch.  He couldn't control a bag of cement in the first half but give him a couple of starts away from the toxic atmosphere at the gate and he could just play himself into form.  If he does then we improve hugely as a team and put ourselves in a better bargaining position for his sale be it late January or the Summer.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

52 minutes ago, Harry said:

All things that hopefully Pearson realises and will make a better effort to do going forward! 

I think this is somewhat insulting to Nige to suggest that it's taken him his whole long managerial career for him to realise that players need to be played in their correct position. The wisdom of our insightful fans haven't suddenly taught him this. 

As fans, we know very little about what goes on behind the scenes. If we are playing players out of position ahead of players who are fit, then one needs to question why that player isn't getting into the team ahead of an out of position player rather than suggesting a manager with such experience doesn't know players should be played in their correct positions. 

Nige was able to name a team with players playing in their correct positions because those players have earned their way into the team. 

Hopefully moving forward they will continue to earn their places in the team in training and on a matchday and then there will be no need to play players out of position. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

Was there the hint that we are rotating players in certain positions because we have 3 games in 7 days?  He's always been averse to this which is detrimental in the long term.  If we start with Semenyo and Wells on Sunday, it will mean he's actually started each striker twice in 3 games with the other on the bench. I felt Semenyo benefitted from being left on the pitch.  He couldn't control a bag of cement in the first half but give him a couple of starts away from the toxic atmosphere at the gate and he could just play himself into form.  If he does then we improve hugely as a team and put ourselves in a better bargaining position for his sale be it late January or the Summer.

Absolutely this.

Pearson specifically said afterwards about Wells being “fresh” for Coventry which was as clear a hint as you could get that he’ll start.

Semenyo was certainly rusty but with Conway on something of a goal drought now it makes a lot of sense to get him more involved.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Absolutely. And I would imagine it’ll be Wells/Semenyo starting at Cov. 

23 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think this is somewhat insulting to Nige to suggest that it's taken him his whole long managerial career for him to realise that players need to be played in their correct position. The wisdom of our insightful fans haven't suddenly taught him this. 

As fans, we know very little about what goes on behind the scenes. If we are playing players out of position ahead of players who are fit, then one needs to question why that player isn't getting into the team ahead of an out of position player rather than suggesting a manager with such experience doesn't know players should be played in their correct positions. 

Nige was able to name a team with players playing in their correct positions because those players have earned their way into the team. 

Hopefully moving forward they will continue to earn their places in the team in training and on a matchday and then there will be no need to play players out of position. 

A) Why is it insulting?  
B) Yes, he’s had a long career. But I’m sure even Nige would agree that you never stop learning. 
C) Who suggested that it was “wisdom of the fans” that made him play this way?

I’m sure Nige is long enough in the tooth to realise that his experiment with King as CB was a failure. Ok, he was clearly trying to make a point to others, which may or may not have worked from the point of view of those players, but it certainly didn’t work out for the results during King’s spell at CB. 
Maybe Nige, being the experienced manager that he is, realised without any “fan wisdom” that King had made critical errors and he couldn’t continue with this experiment. Maybe he realised that he wasn’t getting the best of Weimann and needed to start to trust Tanner. 
Of course Nige will know full well that players in correct positions will play more naturally and crucially will forge complimentary partnerships around the pitch. The question has always been, why hasn’t he been doing it? I’m sure he has his reasons, and I would respectfully disagree. Hopefully he won’t do it any more, but not because of any “fan wisdom”, simply because he ought to know what’s best. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Very encouraging, it really is amazing what playing people in their proper positions can do to a side! Hopefully we can build on that now.

Does anyone know how the tickets are going for Coventry? , have the chance to go now unexpectedly so just wondered if plenty left ? 

47 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Yep. Semenyo needs a run of games. Thought he did well considering it was his first full game back against a very physical side. He took a couple of knocks and I actually think he was targeted a little in that respect but he’s a little way off his best which won’t be resolved by sitting on the bench. For his one-on-one with the keeper he should have used his toe rather than let it bounce up so he could get his laces on it but that’s with the benefit of super slow-mo on the replay. Hope he starts v Cov if he’s recovered. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You can just get off this forum, as it is no place for someone posting common sense like this! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

Alternative match report from a Virgin Media Custoner.

It all started poorly as the Football App on Sky Sports wasn't available on the red button, this resulted in a degree of swearing and a continuation of the heavy drinking that now needs to preceed a City game.

As the first half progressed and the alcohol flowed, further Tivo Box reboots occurred. (Rather than the more sensible option of turning on the radio), the cloudy thinking justified by knowing at @IAmNick will likely post a link with the goals we conceed captured.

Then I went for a massive piss. 

As half time drew closer, there was a general feeling that the game was lost, but the Fewers were 2-0 down, and I could watch the darts instead.

Then an unexpected breakthrough, the app started working. So on to the second half.

Sadly, by this point and through a combination of booze and fags, I had it on but wasn't really watching it. I saw us miss a few chances and err, that's pretty much all I can remember.

On balance, a draw was a good result given I only concentrated on the game for about 10 minutes, and I don't have much recollection of that.

Then I watched the darts and laughed at the Rovers result.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Would they?

What an odd post.

I've not seen anyone saying that he's lost the dressing room...

There must be though, for you to focus on that.

All I've heard are people (rightly) questioning his selections & fed up of one of the worst managerial records, over nearly 2 years, that any manager has had here.

Tony Pulis & Russell Osman had no worse a record & they got hell of a lot more stick that NP has has aimed at him. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

28 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Alternative match report from a Virgin Media Custoner.

It all started poorly as the Football App on Sky Sports wasn't available on the red button, this resulted in a degree of swearing and a continuation of the heavy drinking that now needs to preceed a City game.

As the first half progressed and the alcohol flowed, further Tivo Box reboots occurred. (Rather than the more sensible option of turning on the radio), the cloudy thinking justified by knowing at @IAmNick will likely post a link with the goals we conceed captured.

Then I went for a massive piss. 

As half time drew closer, there was a general feeling that the game was lost, but the Fewers were 2-0 down, and I could watch the darts instead.

Then an unexpected breakthrough, the app started working. So on to the second half.

Sadly, by this point and through a combination of booze and fags, I had it on but wasn't really watching it. I saw us miss a few chances and err, that's pretty much all I can remember.

On balance, a draw was a good result given I only concentrated on the game for about 10 minutes, and I don't have much recollection of that.

Then I watched the darts and laughed at the Rovers result.

Can we have one of these every week? A bit like Big Tone's condensed version 

5 hours ago, Olé said:

On a cold night at the New Den the heat was on Nigel Pearson after impatient sections of City's fans turned on him following two clumsy back to back defeats at Ashton Gate - but as has been the the way under the veteran manager, City came out swinging, taking the game to their in form and play off chasing hosts, dominating for almost ninety minutes in all phases of a one-sided goalless draw.

716114224_Screenshot2022-12-30at06_56_23.thumb.png.5b57c216fbcf659fd575e4f4062dced5.png

With Andi Weimann back behind the strikers and George Tanner and Rob Atkinson in defence, City were not about to curl up and die - working the ball around their hosts from the off, although it wasn’t until the quarter hour that  Antoine Semenyo was clattered spinning away from a marker on the reverse - Tommy Conway wriggling clear of the last man to drag the first clear shot low past the far post.

Millwall hadn’t landed a punch on City in a one sided first half although a rusty looking Semenyo was miscuing up front whenever presented with forward balls, and with five left in the half the striker was easily beaten in midfield as Danny McNamara overlapped Andreas Voglsammer, skipped easily past Cam Pring and drilled a low cross into the box that Alex Scott had to desperately turn behind.

A minute later and against the run of play chaos for the visitors as from the resulting corner - and with their first and perhaps only real threat of the night - Volgsammer swivelled on the edge of the box and slammed a rising shot goal bound which Atkinson dived into desperately to deflect onto the crossbar, the rebound looping back down into a crowded box but claimed well by Max O’Leary in traffic.

Five minutes after the half time break City were yet again back on the front foot and this time attacking their massed fans in the away end - working the ball carefully around the box with Weimann putting midfielders on the back foot before releasing Tanner in from the right flank who had space to drill a low cross into the box that home keeper George Long had to smother and claim under some pressure.

Minutes later Semenyo, starting for the first time since the long trip up to Middlesbrough two months ago and always looking City’s biggest threat going forward - albeit also remarkably rusty and lightweight when challenged - stole a yard in midfield when picked out by Tanner and used the space to turn and blaze an awful shot wildly over and into the away fans. But the visiting supporters noise did not stop.

135295582_Screenshot2022-12-30at06_56_49.thumb.png.35eb80afb12e290b605e5b2493413fd6.png

Ten minutes later, and past the hour mark, the tireless Weimann sprung free of his marker and ran at Millwall before threading Semenyo into the box, the physical forward too easily bundled over in the area but no penalty given. At the other end from a right wing throw in the hosts lobbed the ball into the box where O’Leary was forced to tip the resulting header over. Still all the noise came from City’s massed ranks.

City were consistently on top and keeping their supporters in full voice - and with new-contract man Nakhi Wells on for Tommy Conway and less than 20 minutes remaining they should have gone in front as Cam Pring fed Scott into the box, the teenage midfielder showing wonderful balance to duck and weave past opponents before pushing a beautifully weighted ball toward the bottom corner that Long claimed.

With less than a quarter hour remaining City had their best two chances - first Wells connected with a forward ball and hooked it quickly inside defenders and into the path of an unmarked Semenyo with just keeper to beat, Long battering it clear, then from an end to end move, Wells roared onto the ball before laying it off for Weimann in all kinds of space who like Semenyo before him smashed wildly over.

Before the 80th minute Semenyo won a free kick just inside Millwall’s half and dominant City threw everyone forward. For the steep bank of away fans it had the timing and position of the Jamie Paterson inspired late win three and a half years ago. Semenyo flicked on the lifted ball into the box and like Diedhiou on that wild 2019 night, Weimann was free with just keeper to beat, but on the bounce turned it wide.

In a three or four minute spell City, who had been on top all night, had contrived three clear cut chances right in front of their vocal travelling supporters and could scarcely believe they were not in front. Inevitably a touch of panic set in as Millwall enjoyed their only spell of pressure at the death as City reasoned they could not squander at least a point - and into injury time Jake Cooper slashed over from a corner.

244174690_Screenshot2022-12-30at06_57_03.thumb.png.cf29282224887cf5c702c10453176162.png

This was far from the feeble end to Pearson’s tenure than some City supporters had predicted. Millwall, among the play off places and fresh off a win at Watford, were made to look very ordinary by a relentless City display that took the game to their South East London hosts right from the start and created all the clear cut chances. It was cruel on them that Semenyo and more so Weimann’s finishing was way off.

O’Leary 7

Vyner 7

Atkinson 7

Naismith 6

Tanner 7

Pring 6

James 7

Scott 7

Weimann 6

Conway 5

Semenyo 6

Wells 6

Did we really dominate the game in "all areas" against a team that had more possession, more efforts at goal (albeit none that tested our keeper) more passes, more completed passes, more attacks & more dangerous attacks, than we did..?

It's a welcome, battling point, and refreshing to manage a clean sheet - but I think you may be over egging the overall dominance somewhat.!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Did we really dominate the game in "all areas" against a team that had more possession, more efforts at goal (albeit none that tested our keeper) more passes, more completed passes, more attacks & more dangerous attacks, than we did..?

It's a welcome, battling point, and refreshing to manage a clean sheet - but I think you may be over egging the overall dominance somewhat.!

I tend to agree, we didn’t dominate.  We controlled large parts of the second half, there were bits where no side had control, Millwall had little to no control.  Akthough maybe control and dominate aren’t that far apart in their meaning.

First half was different.  Millwall put us under pressure first half but we withstood it, we had a bit of control for 10-15 mins.

Our ball pressing stats back up our improvement from 25 minutes in…although last 5 mins before h-t I was worried.  Millwall’s ball pressing fell off a cliff for periods of the second half too.  They’d blown a lot of energy first half, and needed subs to give them a second wind…but at that point it was to hold on, rather than go for the win.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I hadn't seen the stats (although Millwall 0 shots on target tells a story) I just shared what I'd seen. As in the report, I remember being worried only 3 times. Before HT when Atkinson blocked a shot onto the bar, in the second half when O'Leary tipped over from a left wing cross (but presumably it was going over for it not to be a SoT), and then Cooper's shot in injury time and that was only because, you know, last minute City.

Conversely we absolutely took the game to them, kept getting balls forward and looked like a threat throughout, I'm sure their defenders will have felt like they were in a game. Millwall did absolutely nothing with all their possession and their fans left early. In the pub afterwards (I live locally next to one of their main pubs) their fans were not impressed with their team and the consensus was that we were much the better side.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

15 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Would they?

Look results have been disappointing surely you can accept the reasons people are not happy, no agenda just reacting to what has been a very lacklustre 2 years under our present manager, and yes I know all the excuses trotted out, some have merit a lot do not.

• Like 2