IGNORED

U21s v Cardiff

Red Army 75

Lost 0-1.

Having just watched this match, I'm beginning to understand why we, as a club, are getting such poor results.

Cardiff used the complete list of time wasting,  falling down for free kicks, lwhile we are so naive to fall for every one.

It is difficult to understand how we are top of this league. Our approach play was slow and laboured. Plenty of passing backwards even in the last few minutes when trying to get an equaliser.

And if any City fan believes that Dasilva and Massengo should ever play in our first team, watch this on YouTube. Backwards only for JD and cannot remember a pass from HNM to a City player.

Utterly abysmal match.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Lost 0-1.

Having just watched this match, I'm beginning to understand why we, as a club, are getting such poor results.

Cardiff used the complete list of time wasting,  falling down for free kicks, lwhile we are so naive to fall for every one.

It is difficult to understand how we are top of this league. Our approach play was slow and laboured. Plenty of passing backwards even in the last few minutes when trying to get an equaliser.

And if any City fan believes that Dasilva and Massengo should ever play in our first team, watch this on YouTube. Backwards only for JD and cannot remember a pass from HNM to a City player.

Utterly abysmal match.

This is a really depressing ready but sadly it's true. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Lost 0-1.

Utterly abysmal match.

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

This is a really depressing ready but sadly it's true. 

It's not true though, as others have already said, the worst performances are when we have overage players just looking to keep fit. Generally the U21'S are good to watch.

• Like 6

A truly passive and ponderous performance. Really one-dimensional with no pace, power, positivity or creativity on show.

Experienced players really poor, excepting Williams, and with a chance for the youngsters to make a break through to the first team squad no one seemed bothered to even put a performance in. 

Hmmm…. seems our squad ‘depth’ is virtually non-existent. As a Club, we may well be in trouble here.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The U21s are top because the majority of today's team don't usually play! 

Unfortunately though, quite a few of them do play for our 1st team - and we all know how that's going. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

The first team fringe players were probably playing to get some minutes. They certainly didn’t seem to have any great enthusiasm for the game. Mixing them up with the young players may explain why they looked like they had never played together before. Not sure what Nige wanted to get out the game but we got what we deserved at the end of the day.

15 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Lost 0-1.

Utterly abysmal match.

Deservedly top of the league TBF, normally its very good to watch.

The inclusion of these "first teamers" hampered the young lads imo - they brought their first team play to the team and got beat by kids.

Given Cardiff had a very young team out, including a 16 year old keeper, a 15 year old, and several U18s, it was an embarrassing watch and result.

Well done to the Cardiff kids who had more about them than our "experienced" players.

None of them (except possibly Williams) did their chances of getting a game saturday any good whatsoever, including a couple of the younger players like Sam Bell. Kadji was played out of position at the back and looked every inch a midfielder filling in at CB - not his fault and at least he looked accomplished on the ball.

Knight-Lebel once again looked a class above, but thats it really imo.

Embarrassing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Usual meltdown from people who evidently don't watch the U21s regularly.

All I can say is that if that performance had happened under a Warnock (another thread) watch, the players would have seen a meltdown first hand. 

You’re right though, must be a blip as we must be top for some reason. Just exasperated, with the first team squad currently desperate for players with passion, power and positivity, that we go out and put that sort of casual, careless display on.  

12 minutes ago, RedRock said:

All I can say is that if that performance had happened under a Warnock (another thread) watch, the players would have seen a meltdown first hand. 

You’re right though, must be a blip as we must be top for some reason. Just exasperated, with the first team squad currently desperate for players with passion, power and positivity, that we go out and put that sort of casual, careless display on.  

...full  of first teamers, not the usual U21s.

50 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Lost 0-1.

Utterly abysmal match.

Massengo looked uninterested, Dasilva was just going through the motions , will give a bit of credit to Williams he put a shift in for the time he was on and tried to make things happen, we didn’t look aggressive enough we should of bullied Cardiff with that strong a line up , perhaps we’re just too nice a club.

41 minutes ago, RedRock said:

A truly passive and ponderous performance. Really one-dimensional with no pace, power, positivity or creativity on show.

Experienced players really poor, excepting Williams, and with a chance for the youngsters to make a break through to the first team squad no one seemed bothered to even put a performance in. 

Hmmm…. seems our squad ‘depth’ is virtually non-existent. As a Club, we may well be in trouble here.

I think we are in trouble unless we can bring a few players in to freshen things up. Without it I cannot see the current squad good enough to stay up. All the teams around us, meanwhile, are able to strengthen which they are doing.

I watch most of the 21s games at home and in fairness, the quality is good and we play with intensity & pace. Really embarrassing defeat against a young Cardiff side & whilst results are unimportant and it’s about development but you look at the experience we had playing & add it to the “another bad day” list!  

@Johnny Musicworksalluded to, this might’ve been more about getting minutes into players legs.  Result isn’t hugely important.  Individual performance levels, effort levels, will be of interest to Nige, Jason and Tins undoubtedly.  I only watch first half, I thought Williams was the pick of the first teamers.  I don’t think any of the others who’ve been around the 18 will be worrying the first eleven on Saturday.  But should they be needed off the bench, they’ve at least had 90 mins.  Bigger picture at play here imho.

• Hmmm 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Johnny Musicworksalluded to, this might’ve been more about getting minutes into players legs.  Result isn’t hugely important.  Individual performance levels, effort levels, will be of interest to Nige, Jason and Tins undoubtedly.  I only watch first half, I thought Williams was the pick of the first teamers.  I don’t think any of the others who’ve been around the 18 will be worrying the first eleven on Saturday.  But should they be needed off the bench, they’ve at least had 90 mins.  Bigger picture at play here imho.

To a degree I understand this. 

However, I’m suspicious that the performance was more an outbreak of the ‘Comfy Club’. 

Yes, getting minutes in the legs is physically important, but so is culture and the mental development of ‘good habits’. Those habits should include being a winner - a team winner and an individual winner in the battle against your opponent.

I saw far too many of that pitch ‘coasting’.

Bad habits become ingrained and sets the Club’s Culture. If we’re not careful we end up with a side full of pretend ‘busy bees’, who actually achieve f all.

Unfortunately, that’s what Bristol City are and we’ve been like that far too long. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, RedRock said:

However, I’m suspicious that the performance was more an outbreak of the ‘Comfy Club’. 

Yes, getting minutes in the legs is physically important, but so is culture and the mental development of ‘good habits’. Those habits should include being a winner - a team winner and an individual winner in the battle against your opponent.

Bad habits become ingrained and sets the Club’s Culture. If we’re not careful we end up with a side full of pretend ‘busy bees’, who actually achieve f all.

Unfortunately, that’s what Bristol City are and we’ve been like that far too long. 

Absolutely spot on as a club we’re far too nice, I can’t remember us even putting a proper tackle in , the whole culture of the club needs changing.

16 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Don’t disagree with any of that RR.  Proof of pudding will be Saturday….assuming some of them make it onto the pitch during the 90!  Might be a reason why some aren’t getting into the eleven might it!

53 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Perhaps on this one occasion it was a case of just minutes, rather than pushing oneself and risking injury.

With a couple already having possible hamstring niggles, it's possible they were told not to go full out. Just to get match fit.

In general our under 21s have been fantastic this season. Today is not a reflection on them. 

• Robin 1

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Lost 0-1.

Utterly abysmal match.

Whether it’s right or not HNM will go through the motions until he pisses off. It proves Nige is right not to pick him but I can also see it from the players point of view. Why bust a gut and jeopardise your next move?

21 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Whether it’s right or not HNM will go through the motions until he pisses off. It proves Nige is right not to pick him but I can also see it from the players point of view. Why bust a gut and jeopardise your next move?

Because he’s a professional and still taking a wage 

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

This isn’t an issue prevalent only to this club. If you’ve played at a decent level you’ll know that when ‘first team’ players play for the reserves (in this case the 21s) it is very much about either a) getting out of the game what they need to on an individual basis or b) they’ve been told they have to play. This happens all over the country at any decent level. So the motivation to play in games like this the higher up you go diminishes. There’s an argument to suggest that most of these players would be better off training than chasing a load of kids around in a game they don’t want to particularly be involved in. It’s very easy to criticise players in this game when you don’t do it for a living day in day out and know how it works. For those who say they should give 110% in any game regardless of first team or 21s have clearly never played. Chill out. Having said that - getting beat is not a good look and the players will be made well aware of that and will either solidify or justify the gaffers next move with certain individuals. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Hup said:

This isn’t an issue prevalent only to this club. If you’ve played at a decent level you’ll know that when ‘first team’ players play for the reserves (in this case the 21s) it is very much about either a) getting out of the game what they need to on an individual basis or b) they’ve been told they have to play. This happens all over the country at any decent level. So the motivation to play in games like this the higher up you go diminishes. There’s an argument to suggest that most of these players would be better off training than chasing a load of kids around in a game they don’t want to particularly be involved in. It’s very easy to criticise players in this game when you don’t do it for a living day in day out and know how it works. For those who say they should give 110% in any game regardless of first team or 21s have clearly never played. Chill out. Having said that - getting beat is not a good look and the players will be made well aware of that and will either solidify or justify the gaffers next move with certain individuals. 

Understand…. So Wells was an exception? 

Clearly, there are several of the squad that still need to be moved on, and quickly. Pearson’s main mission and how our poor performances are being justified, and tolerated by the majority, is his work on the Club’s ‘culture change’. We don’t want to infect our youngsters with ‘Comfy Club’ mentality. 

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Understand…. So Wells was an exception? 

Clearly, there are several of the squad that still need to be moved on, and quickly. Pearson’s main mission and how our poor performances are being justified, and tolerated by the majority, is his work on the Club’s ‘culture change’. We don’t want to infect our youngsters with ‘Comfy Club’ mentality. 

Theres always an exception to the rule. Wells is a consummate professional - I think with him being at the other end of his career he also realises what he can offer the younger lads in terms of leading by example.

I don’t think there’s any concern in terms of ‘infection’ - a massively driven bunch of very good players desperate to carve out a career. The good thing in todays game is that bad eggs rarely get very far and we prioritise good personality in equal measure to ability when it comes to offering academy and professional contracts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I didnt see the U21 match so have comment on how he played.

What I would think and entirely imo- if he was to feature in first team action, he would give 100% but not necessarily for BCFC but to promote his own undoubted ability in order to secure the best club /wage/pay day.

As an U21 player with little first team experience of late, his value is going to be pretty poor even as a free agent.

If he has a few stormers in Championship matches then he can add a zero or two to his pay day but it might also help BCFC.

Nige is ( in this case and you know I'm not his biggest fan) stuck between a rock and a hard place. Why should he reward a player who clearly wants away and a pay day with wider exposure but when the squad is so very thin on the ground he just overlooks a player who could possibly make a difference. 

Nige is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

20 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I didnt see the U21 match so have comment on how he played.

What I would think and entirely imo- if he was to feature in first team action, he would give 100% but not necessarily for BCFC but to promote his own undoubted ability in order to secure the best club /wage/pay day.

As an U21 player with little first team experience of late, his value is going to be pretty poor even as a free agent.

If he has a few stormers in Championship matches then he can add a zero or two to his pay day but it might also help BCFC.

Nige is ( in this case and you know I'm not his biggest fan) stuck between a rock and a hard place. Why should he reward a player who clearly wants away and a pay day with wider exposure but when the squad is so very thin on the ground he just overlooks a player who could possibly make a difference. 

Nige is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

If he has not got anything lined up and is looking for a club I totally agree with what you are saying but if he already has a deal lined up.................