IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

8 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Today proved that there is far more demand for standing areas than the club are currently willing to accommodate. 1000 seats shoved away in a corner doesn’t cut it.

If the club had any sense, or desire to generate atmosphere at Ashton Gate the entirety of block A would be turned into safe standing, along with the current corner, which would avoid all of the issues today with people having to stand on the stairs and unable to get to their seats. Anyone who currently has a season ticket in block A (not many at all, 100 max), could easily be reallocated to another Dolman block should they wish to do so.

It could be done for next season but unfortunately I think this is the exact thing the club will be desperate to stamp out.

While I agree with the bulk of your post, it is worth pointing out (to those who may or may not know) that it isn't solely in the gift of the club, the whole SAG approval etc takes time and haggling.

Whether the club have the will or desire to push for it in that area, is a different debate.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

While I agree with the bulk of your post, it is worth pointing out (to those who may or may not know) that it isn't solely in the gift of the club, the whole SAG approval etc takes time and haggling.

Whether the club have the will or desire to push for it in that area, is a different debate.

That’s a given I think Mr. P. The first hurdle is the entrenched attitude of the club hierarchy which seems to be reluctant to encourage that ‘sort’ of support.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That’s a given I think Mr. P. The first hurdle is the entrenched attitude of the club hierarchy which seems to be reluctant to encourage that ‘sort’ of support.

This is fair PF.

A relevant question I guess is, has that attitude got worse/hardened in recent years? I cited a thread from 2007-08 praising SL for reopening the East End to home fans 2007-08 and crediting season tickets for £250.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

31 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Today proved that there is far more demand for standing areas than the club are currently willing to accommodate. 1000 seats shoved away in a corner doesn’t cut it.

If the club had any sense, or desire to generate atmosphere at Ashton Gate the entirety of block A would be turned into safe standing, along with the current corner, which would avoid all of the issues today with people having to stand on the stairs and unable to get to their seats. Anyone who currently has a season ticket in block A (not many at all, 100 max), could easily be reallocated to another Dolman block should they wish to do so.

It could be done for next season but unfortunately I think this is the exact thing the club will be desperate to stamp out.

I’m pretty sure from memory that due to the grading/degree of angle of the Dolman stand that it doesn’t meet the requirements for safe standing, I maybe wrong and if I recall maybe the bottom tier of the Dolman may be ok. 

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sound doesn't travel so well between certain parts of the ground. Definitely could see them making noise but couldn't hear much if that makes sense. Am sure it was vocal in there however. Wonder if it encouraged others in there to join in at times. 

I felt the same, but then I am in the rail seating section and we were making quite a bit of noise ourselves. 

The only time it went quiet was in the ten minutes between their penalty and HT. 

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is fair PF.

A relevant question I guess is, has that attitude got worse/hardened in recent years? I cited a thread from 2007-08 praising SL for reopening the East End to home fans 2007-08 and crediting season tickets for £250.

It’s difficult to prove - but the impression I get is that the desired consumer is families who are going to spend in concessions, spend in the club shop and not cause any bother.

Groups of lads who drink in the surrounding pubs, don’t wear official merch and may require more stringent stewarding aren’t nearly as desirable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well then you clearly don’t understand it. Good job we have fans like those that give it a go in the Dolman and S82 otherwise AG would be a morgue.

No, clearly you don’t understand my position, which is obviously unpopular on OTIB.

I’m not against noise from fans. It happens spontaneously when the football is exciting. That’s largely what happened today and improved the atmosphere, in my opinion. 

By all means roar the team on. But I find the songs a bit tedious, generally. Especially hearing a joke that was funny once being repeated for the hundredth game in a row - eg “Is this a library?” Does anyone find these amusing any more? 

And creating a toxic atmosphere by getting close to the opposition fans to goad them into a fight isn’t admirable either. What’s so great about those fans that watch each other instead of the football? That happens a lot. Those are the people that are just there for the conflict, not the football.  I’m all for the passionate love of football, but not mindless tribalism.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

No, clearly you don’t understand my position, which is obviously unpopular on OTIB.

I’m not against noise from fans. It happens spontaneously when the football is exciting. That’s largely what happened today and improved the atmosphere, in my opinion. 

By all means roar the team on. But I find the songs a bit tedious, generally. Especially hearing a joke that was funny once being repeated for the hundredth game in a row - eg “Is this a library?” Does anyone find these amusing any more? 

And creating a toxic atmosphere by getting close to the opposition fans to goad them into a fight isn’t admirable either. What’s so great about those fans that watch each other instead of the football? That happens a lot. Those are the people that are just there for the conflict, not the football.  I’m all for the passionate love of football, but not mindless tribalism.

Great - but the reality is that a bit of needle and goading tends to add to the atmosphere.

Why is it that games vs Rovers or Cardiff will always have a better atmosphere than Wigan or Barnsley? Like it or not; tribalism (and to an extent aggression), is a big part of fan culture. 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s difficult to prove - but the impression I get is that the desired consumer is families who are going to spend in concessions, spend in the club shop and not cause any bother.

Groups of lads who drink in the surrounding pubs, don’t wear official merch and may require more stringent stewarding aren’t nearly as desirable. 

That would probably be deemed the cheapest and or easiest from a security perspective, quiet life etc. It wouldn't surprise me therefore but reckon a lot of clubs probably have similar views- less potential flashpoints reduces the potential policing bill too.

I would hazard a guess that it has become more pronounced post redevelopment. I might be getting the wrong poster here but I believe @Three Lions once mentioned that flags post 2015 were no longer allowed at the back of the Dolman which is a shift in that direction.

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Great - but the reality is that a bit of needle and goading tends to add to the atmosphere.

Why is it that games vs Rovers or Cardiff will always have a better atmosphere than Wigan or Barnsley? Like it or not; tribalism (and to an extent aggression), is a big part of fan culture. 

Sure, it will be. But I don’t have to admire it or buy into the cult of the singing superfans. Not many will challenge it, but I’m happy to.

• Like 1

I've never understood why the fans feel they need to be by the away fans to create an atmosphere. I'm there to support my own club, not have banter with away fans. But each to their own.

Reminds me of how the EE used to be, youngsters over by the away fans and the older lot over the other side. 

Let's be realistic, whilst it was great to have an improved atmosphere in another part of the ground, we didn't win because of that. 

Fair play to those that managed to get so many over there. However I can't help but feel it may have ruffled a fee feathers at the club. 

I've seen it all over the years and the club is usually quite reluctant to allow these sort of things and it's taken some convincing. 

Monday morning they are no doubt going to recieve lots of complaints about this from a block season ticket holders. I'd be quite annoyed if suddenly all these people turned up standing all game and potentially in my seat too. Those that sit in that block have done so for years/generations so I can understand why some are upset. 

What these fans should have done was discussed it with the club beforehand. The club will understandably have concerns about safety and the increased costs associated with that and concern for the season ticket holders in that block.

Knowing the club like I do, I'd expect them to come down hard on this at the Blackburn game. Potentially have stewards checking tickets etc. 

So whilst it was great, the spontaneous nature of it and the lack of dialogue from the club could hinder it from being a longer term success. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

I’m pretty sure from memory that due to the grading/degree of angle of the Dolman stand that it doesn’t meet the requirements for safe standing, I maybe wrong and if I recall maybe the bottom tier of the Dolman may be ok. 

That would just seem completely baffling to me if true, just looking at the stands it seems as if there’s barely a difference in gradient between the two. You only have to look at Dortmund’s yellow wall, one of the steepest stands in Europe, who manage 25,000 in there without any issues whatsoever. 

Before the inevitable diktat comes from the club on Monday morning stating that "fans are reminded they must sit in their allocated seat, we will be imposing additional checks in blocks A and B of the Dolman for the Blackburn game" they may want to consider the largely positive comments on this thread, and around the ground regards the atmosphere.

Also, they may want to reflect that since vocal fans have moved to that area (really since the second half of the Swansea game) we do appear to have experienced an uplift in performance on the pitch. And I'd add that having vocal fans close to the away support, appears to have had a bit of a neutralising effect on the away support, which is surely to our advantage as the home team. 

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Could it just be the club has an interest in all it's season ticket paying fans? We don't exactly have the massive 20 year waiting lists of certain clubs, so kicking people out of seats they have had for years with their mates still has to be carefully considered.....

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why is it that games vs Rovers or Cardiff will always have a better atmosphere than Wigan or Barnsley? 

That's one type of atmosphere, not "atmosphere" end of.

At the recent World Cup, free of alcohol and "groups of lads" drinking, a WC where women were, ironically in that country, heard to say on the radio that they felt safer and enjoyed watching football far more (because of the absence of "groups of young lads" drinking and the inevitable resulting toxic male behaviour), there was "atmosphere," plenty of it. Just a different one to the 'two sets of blokes close to each other making manual manipulator signs and saying "cmon then" across a section of empty seating' type atmosphere we're so used to at football by now.

One of the problems in life in general and at football in particular over the decades is that young "lads" are prone to thinking they are the centre of the world and little else matters than what they want and what is important to them.

When we play Wigan or Barnsley there's nothing to stop the groups of young lads diverting their full attention to the pitch and the football and getting fully behind the team and encouraging them come what may. But I would suggest that's not really what motivates and excites them.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Leveller said:

Sure, it will be. But I don’t have to admire it or buy into the cult of the singing superfans. Not many will challenge it, but I’m happy to.

Fans singing is quite a big part of a matchday though, across all professional leagues around the world. Of course you don’t have to like it but it does seem an odd thing to be dead set against when almost every professional football match has fans chanting during the game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

At the recent World Cup, free of alcohol and "groups of lads" drinking, a WC where women were, ironically in that country, heard to say on the radio that they felt safer and enjoyed watching football far more (because of the absence of "groups of young lads" drinking and the inevitable resulting toxic male behaviour), there was "atmosphere," plenty of it. Just a different one to the 'two sets of blokes close to each other making manual manipulator signs and saying "cmon then" across a section of empty seating' type atmosphere we're so used to at football by now.

One of the problems in life in general and at football in particular over the decades is that young "lads" are prone to thinking they are the centre of the world and little else matters than what they want and what is important to them.

When we play Wigan or Barnsley there's nothing to stop the groups of young lads diverting their full attention to the pitch and the football and getting fully behind the team and encouraging them come what may. But I would suggest that's not really what motivates and excites them.

I honestly think we should ban alcohol from football matches, you’ll find the number of violent incidents and other unsavoury aspects of the game would drop instantly and the atmosphere would be much better in my view. Although it’s probably an opinion I need a tin hat for because most fans would likely disagree!

2 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

That would just seem completely baffling to me if true, just looking at the stands it seems as if there’s barely a difference in gradient between the two. You only have to look at Dortmund’s yellow wall, one of the steepest stands in Europe, who manage 25,000 in there without any issues whatsoever. 

Might be the narrow rows in the Dolman. It's a lot tighter fit in there than the newly developed stands 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Good post, and there’s lots there I’d agree with - and that aspect of our support is depressingly evident at away games - and maybe more evident there because it’s harder to get away from it.

But at the same same, there is still a cohort that is more intent on supporting City rather than goading opponents. It was interesting yesterday that a good number stayed in s82, the flags were still in evidence, and from where I am in the middle of the Dolman I could hear a lot more noise and “atmosphere” coming from S82 than I could from E34.

It was also noticeable yesterday that there were a couple of times when - through a combination of the lead from s82 and what was happening in the pitch - that a far larger number started joining in. You’ll only get real atmosphere when it spreads across more than a couple of hundred people. 

I don’t buy the whole ‘football tourist’ issue that keeps being raised. Let’s be honest, we’re not Barcelona or Man U. Most people coming to AG for the first time will be doing so for a variety of reasons (bringing kids to their first game, students, new arrivals etc) but they’ll be coming because it’s a football game and will see the atmosphere as part of the game. But ‘atmosphere’ as in supporting the team. A good atmosphere is more likely to encourage them back - and to join in.

One final thought : in my younger days when I probably contributed more to the atmosphere that I can manage now, I did so in the East End. Because that’s where you went. And for two decades or more that’s where you went and that’s what everyone knew.

Over the past two decades the opposite has been the case. Just look at the posts on this thread. It’s been one end of the Williams, it’s been part of the Atyeo, its been Dolman block A/B, it’s been the South Stand, it’s been S82, and now it’s E34. It’s all over the place. And I wonder whether that’s part of the problem. Just settle on one place and stick with it and grow it from there. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

@Blagdon redis the man to ask about this

2 hours ago, fisherrich said:

I hope the Dolman A and B block becomes what it used to be in the 80s. A place where away fans dread. 

Fair play to any efforts to create a loud positive atmosphere.

But believing it will be terrifying for opposition players or especially fans is pure fantasy.

Name somewhere where you have ever been terrified by the noise a home section make??

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I agree with your sentiments whole heartedly.

Especially in football stadiums.

I have however noticed, especially in this Country, an increasing amount of intoxicated, coked up females, acting aggressively and anti socially. It's definitely on the rise and not just akin to groups of males